PDA

View Full Version : PCV System clogged or broke? ok to drive unplugged?

turd
10-23-2011, 09:01 PM
So yet another problem on this nightmare of a car... I fixed the cv boot, valve cover gasket and had a tune up. Got it home and noticed more oil still leaking on my driveway. I took it back and they found this problem, they said and showed me. There is so much pressure built up in the motor that the little valve/ cylinoide by the belt is leaking oil and you can see it. But when you unplug the hose from the back of the motor on top of the valve covers, it stops the leaking and let's out all the built up pressure. My question is, is it ok to drive with it unplugged? They say its ok bc its only for emissions sake. So are they right? Please help me out on this, I don't have the money to fix this right away.

SS92
10-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Read Walky's DIY. One of the best things i've done to clean things up. Will take you an afternoons worth of work. Parts total cost like 40 bucks, or just delete them and run a hose towards the ground/catch can.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/442614-*DIY*-B5-1.8T-Vacuum-Check-Valve-SAI-PCV-Delete-amp-Simplification

turd
10-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks dude but I have the 2.8 ... wish there was a step by step deal for the 2.8 that would be great.

turd
10-23-2011, 10:21 PM
So is it ok to run unplugged from Bank 2 ?

walky_talky20
10-24-2011, 06:54 AM
You will be fine. With it unplugged you may get a lumpy idle and it may slightly affect gas mileage, but it won't hurt anything.

The leak is the cam chain adjuster gasket. *Exceedingly* common leak on the 2.7T and 2.8 V6 engines. More commonly called the "CCT gasket", you do them along with the valve cover gaskets and you should also replace the "cam bore plugs" (aka cam plugs) at the same time. It sounds like you may also want to do a little R&R on the PCV system itself at that time, as something might be plugged up a bit (PCV valve or suction jet pump most likely). A quick fix would be to replace the gaskets I mentioned and then simply install an OEM vented oil cap.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-V6_30v/Maintenance/Engine/Oil_Cap/ES251141/

turd
10-24-2011, 08:00 AM
You will be fine. With it unplugged you may get a lumpy idle and it may slightly affect gas mileage, but it won't hurt anything.

The leak is the cam chain adjuster gasket. *Exceedingly* common leak on the 2.7T and 2.8 V6 engines. More commonly called the "CCT gasket", you do them along with the valve cover gaskets and you should also replace the "cam bore plugs" (aka cam plugs) at the same time. It sounds like you may also want to do a little R&R on the PCV system itself at that time, as something might be plugged up a bit (PCV valve or suction jet pump most likely). A quick fix would be to replace the gaskets I mentioned and then simply install an OEM vented oil cap.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-V6_30v/Maintenance/Engine/Oil_Cap/ES251141/

Thank you dude. I have noticed since its been unplugged that the idle has a slight jitter at red lights.