PDA

View Full Version : New spark plug recommendations?

xdewaynex
10-22-2011, 10:42 PM
For starters, its an AEB with the AWP coil harness swap with 2.0 coils and a FrankenTurbo setup. Ive been running NGK BKR7E plugs since the upgrade, but my problem is, no parts stores keep them in stock, so I always have to order them. I just replaced the plugs not even 1k miles ago, and theyre already toast. I noticed this about 2-3 weeks ago when I swapped the coils and harness to the 2.0 setup and gapped the plugs to .040. I read where a few were running some other kind of NGK plugs ending with a -11, a couple Bosch brand plugs, but I was wondering what other plugs people might recommend on running, that are more common in stock at parts stores, maybe plugs that last a bit longer.

csosnowski
10-23-2011, 01:27 AM
ngk BKR7E-IX 11 - Iridium, ~6$ each. they usually have them in stock at oreilly and autozone. pre-gapped to 0.044(?) they'll definately last more than 1k miles. I run the 6E-IX's in my S4-no complaints.

could always try and find some PFR7Q, one range colder than stock but still the laser platinum. they will be more like $13 each but again they will last quite a bit longer than the coppers.

would stay away from bosch as they have too high of failure rates for my liking, even the sidefires have been known to fail.

I run the stock PFR6Q in my wifes car at 0.040 with the 2.0t coils with a GIAC tune (17psi?). no misfires yet, thinking of increasing the gap to 0.044 and seeing what happens. plugs look good, no visible wear after 5k.

Turbo Nerd
10-23-2011, 01:33 AM
If your toasting BKR7E's at 1k there is something else wrong, a different plug isn't going to help your situation.

xdewaynex
10-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Might sound dumb, but would running rich have a huge effect on that? Im running a K04 file with the fuel turned up to mix with the flow of the FT.

Altech75
10-23-2011, 08:56 AM
A gap of .040 is way large man. Get some BKR6E's & gap them to around .030. There is no need for platinum or expensive ass sparks plugs that were designed to keep maintenance on DD's as infrequent as possible.

Most turbo tune's run pretty rich once you start getting into the higher rpm's. Might be some other possible variable at play since obviously the F4H-L has a significantly different behavior than a standard k04.

xdewaynex
10-23-2011, 09:04 AM
.040 is whats recommended to run on the new 2.0 coils. I know its way large for the 1.8 coils, which Im no longer running.

Corrado_Guy
10-23-2011, 09:36 AM
For performance copper core plugs are superior to all, platinum and iridium plugs are simply long life plugs used to reduce maintenance schedules. If you do a little research you will find they are crap and do not conduct as well as copper core plugs. They don't dissipate heat as well and as the motor starts to boost and the plugs start to get hot the electrodes actually open up and your gap increases and you get a weaker spark when you need a stronger one. Copper is one of the best conductors of heat and these plugs will not last nearly as long but they will out perform any platinum or iridium plug out there.

If you are supposed to be running a .040 gap which plug do they recommend running? I am running the BKR7E plugs with a GT28RS and all of the goodies and I run about .028 gap on these plugs and they will go for about 6,000 - 8,000 kms before they start to really erode. They are hard to find which is why I typically order about 4 - 5 sets at time so I always have stock on them. This is running on the ATW 1.8T coils.

How are they toast? If the electrode is eaten away then you are getting a good spark and they are working properly but if they are coated with crap then the gap is too large and should be made smaller.

TConklin821
10-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Sorry to thread jack, but how do yall feel about these?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Ignition/ES592/

Corrado_Guy
10-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Sorry to thread jack, but how do yall feel about these?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Ignition/ES592/

Read what I wrote just above your post, these are long life plugs and are not designed for performance. If your motor is stock these will work but the original poster is not stock so these will not work properly.

xdewaynex
10-23-2011, 10:37 AM
I know not to run the iridium plugs for the fact that having a small tip, it gets blown out by high boost. Ill have to recheck the condition of my current plugs.

Corrado_Guy
10-23-2011, 10:45 AM
I know not to run the iridium plugs for the fact that having a small tip, it gets blown out by high boost. Ill have to recheck the condition of my current plugs.

But you stated they are toast, what is wrong with them exactly that would you give you this idea? Are they eaten away or are they coated with crap? These are not long life plugs and should be changed roughly at each oil change to get the most out of them.

xdewaynex
10-23-2011, 11:23 AM
I just went out and pulled the plugs to check the. The electrode looks good, just black and metal L shape over the electrode is like an ashy white. Maybe toast wasnt a good description, or Im just out of my mind and the colder weather may have some sort of effect to it. When I done the harness and coil pack swap and gapped the plugs to .040, it was still around the 70s-80s here. Now at night its getting down in the 30s-40s, is when I notice it has a bit of a miss. Like I said, maybe Im just out of my mind. As stated some have ran the plugs like I mentioned in the first post, some are running BKR6E's and 7E's, and some Bosch style plugs, as well.

Corrado_Guy
10-23-2011, 11:27 AM
What you really want is a single electrode copper core plug which you have but if it is getting deposits it sounds like your gap is way too big. I would do more research on that because I think .040 is too big no matter what coils you have but I have done no research on this set-up so I could easily be wrong.

FNK
10-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Copper electrodes can't start recent high output voltage ignition system. They wear too fast. This is the main reason OEM cars are using Iridium plug, they are strong and last a very long time.
The small tip will be hotter to cake the carbon deposit then it will also cool faster and will crack the carbon deposit and clean the tip it self.

Iridium all the way! I'm starting a 3rd year in my car with theses. No it's not boosted, never the less its doing it's job much better than the previous copper plug I used to run.

Buying new plugs I will go with some Bosch Fusion. They seems like a great product.

Turbo Nerd
10-23-2011, 10:29 PM
BKR7E's should last 20-30k no problem, that's on a properly tuned car.