PDA

View Full Version : New ECS Test Pipe/ New Horrible Idle

broadhus
10-20-2011, 07:27 PM
So I ordered a test pipe from ECS because my cat flange broke off and catalytic converters are for chumps. Long story short I spent the last 9 hours getting this job done and right around hour 4 I realized why I chose not to work on cars for a living. Anyways, everything is back together TP is in and everything is buttoned up and now my car will not idle properly what is more, it is extremely hesitant around 3-5k rpms and is very herky-jerky, if you will. Never had any problems like this but wouldn't doubt that I have caused it. All hoses and wires appear to be connected i.e. no obviously disconnected wires or hoses.

The car is a 97 1.8TQ almost completely stock with the exception of the lightweight single mass flywheel that was installed 6 months ago.

Question: Why is my car doing this to me? [confused]

Turbwhistle
10-20-2011, 07:50 PM
I am 99.9% sure its not because of your tp, since that doesn't control anything, you would see a lack in power if you had an exhaust leak, but nothing major.

NUISANCE
10-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Check all of your connections including the 02 sensors and the maf.

Seerlah
10-20-2011, 09:21 PM
^I agree. You probably messed something else up (ie damaged primary 02 sensor), but the test pipe is not the cause of your issue. Also, I rock a high flow cat. Does that make me a chump[>_>]?

spinall4
10-20-2011, 09:26 PM
yea you missed something...check all your wires again

Turbwhistle
10-20-2011, 09:28 PM
^I agree. You probably messed something else up (ie damaged primary 02 sensor), but the test pipe is not the cause of your issue. Also, I rock a high flow cat. Does that make me a chump[>_>]?
Kinda;), i think next summer i will pick up a hfc, just because i need to go to emissions.

vietxnam
10-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Did you remove your airbox, turbo inlet pipe, or disconnect the battery for this repair?

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Double check everything again. Make sure all your vacuum lines are reconnected and not leaking, electrical connections clipped, turbo intake pipe is sealed etc.

Are you getting a check engine light at all?

Jason

broadhus
10-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Update:
Seerlah = not a chump.
And obviously a length of metal pipe with no moving parts could not be the culprit.

As far as the car goes, I went and removed the air box, and turbo inlet pipe and disconnected some other stuff...again...and installed a new O2 sensor. I re-installed everything again, the idle is a tad better but after driving around a bit feel almost like the car needs time to "load" if that makes any sense. I can hear the turbo spool but there is little response. When I pulse the throttle in motion the car "loads" much faster but for some reason the throttle cuts out at roughly 5k and sometimes doesn't respond to any input from me.

There is a check engine light but it was there almost instantly after my initial problem.

After speaking with Chris @ ECS I'm going to disconnect my battery and remove the fuse for the ECU. Any thoughts?

walky_talky20
10-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Check those codes. That is my suggestion.

nam3
10-21-2011, 03:03 PM
I'd look for boost leaks, check plugs, coilpacks, icm

broadhus
10-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Thank you all for the advice and insight. I have found the culprit. MAF sensor is bad, pulled it cleaned it, still no joy. Unplugged, car starts, runs and sounds somewhat familiar. And even though it's running rich and smells terrible the exhaust sounds great and I can feel the torque in my bones.

PhillyOne
11-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Thank you all for the advice and insight. I have found the culprit. MAF sensor is bad, pulled it cleaned it, still no joy. Unplugged, car starts, runs and sounds somewhat familiar. And even though it's running rich and smells terrible the exhaust sounds great and I can feel the torque in my bones.
Just did the same thing few weeks ago. Cleaning mine didnt work either it was done. Replaced it with a new one. I felt like it realllly ate gas when i had it unplugged for a few days

trev718
11-03-2011, 09:41 PM
nice to hear it worked out for you...Are you going to the fixx fest meet in bradenton

SeekB00st
11-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Sounds like you post cat 02 sensor is going wild.

What you need to do is go purchase an 02 sensor extender that screws into the post cat 02 bung and places the 02 sensor two inches away from the piping.

This is a common problem with test pipes.

Crispy222
11-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Sounds like you post cat 02 sensor is going wild.

What you need to do is go purchase an 02 sensor extender that screws into the post cat 02 bung and places the 02 sensor two inches away from the piping.

This is a common problem with test pipes.

This will not change how the car runs. Post cat O2 sensor does not effect mixture. It is only in the system for emissions (ODB II). Its checking to see if the cat is working properly.

gmx
11-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Update:
Seerlah = not a chump.
And obviously a length of metal pipe with no moving parts could not be the culprit.

As far as the car goes, I went and removed the air box, and turbo inlet pipe and disconnected some other stuff...again...and installed a new O2 sensor. I re-installed everything again, the idle is a tad better but after driving around a bit feel almost like the car needs time to "load" if that makes any sense. I can hear the turbo spool but there is little response. When I pulse the throttle in motion the car "loads" much faster but for some reason the throttle cuts out at roughly 5k and sometimes doesn't respond to any input from me.

There is a check engine light but it was there almost instantly after my initial problem.

After speaking with Chris @ ECS I'm going to disconnect my battery and remove the fuse for the ECU. Any thoughts?

Yes it can.
Check the flange is secure to the exhaust manifold prior to the primary O2 sensor. A leak there would cause exactly what you describe.