PDA

View Full Version : Ran out of coolant while driving, halp

SS92
10-20-2011, 04:18 PM
So I replaced my leaking coolant flange for the second time today. Everything went fine, until driving down the road I start to smoke. Pull over, shut the car off. The bottom pipe on the flange had popped off. What damage am I looking at? I wasnt smoking so bad, just no coolant and less than a minute of driving after idle. Also, I need to get a new clip for that bottom pipe, is there anything I can pick up locally at autozone?

hazard860
10-20-2011, 04:20 PM
what was the engine temp?

SS92
10-20-2011, 04:28 PM
what was the engine temp?

Needle didn't move so no idea.

turbo kraut
10-20-2011, 06:02 PM
you should be fine unless you let the car overheat.... my rear coolant flange was leaking and i was having to add coolant/water everytime i drove.... never let it over heat and car was fine till i could fix it

so like i said if your car was still "cold" no damage should have been done

walky_talky20
10-20-2011, 06:22 PM
The spring clip is not going to be an easy thing to find separately. You can get this from the dealer:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/1j0121142/ES307207/

But I cannot be sure that it is the correct size for your heater core hose. It is for the radiator hose quick-connects, which are a bit larger of a connection, so this clip may be too large. I really can't say for sure. For comparison here is the fitting that it comes on:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/3B0122291B/ES251611/

And here is the hose from the B5 heater core:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/8d0819373n/ES7196/

It looks pretty darn similar to me, and might be worth a shot for 3 bucks, but I can't tell you for certain. Another source would be somebody that's parting their car. Those people *love* getting tiny pieces of stuff that are super hard to get to, and then selling them dumb cheap, especially when it makes a larger assembly un-sellable and they have to do it in the cold. Love it, love it, love it. (I kid. I'm sure somebody would love to help you out).

SS92
10-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Just to verify, the heater core hose doesn't have an o-ring inbetween the flange and hose anywhere does it? I'm not sure what would make if fly off the way it did, but oh well. I limped it home, jerry rigged the connection to get home the two blocks. I have a ton of smoke coming from the flex joint and some out the exhaust which isnt normal for my car but I am assuming it is from all the coolant spilling out everywhere and settling on the flex pipe and seeping in or something, or at least I hope so...

Thanks for the help all.

walky_talky20
10-20-2011, 07:04 PM
There is an integral o-ring in the quick-connect, but it not generally replaceable. I usually lube them up with a tiny bit with vaseline before I put them on. Helps them go on easier. I did hear of somebody removing the o-rings and taking them to a specialty o-ring shop (??) where they made custom ones for him or some-such. I've never had one leak badly enough to worry about. Sometimes they drip when you put them back together, but they usually seal up nicely after a few heat cycles.

walky_talky20
10-23-2011, 09:52 AM
SS92: YGPM

A4Rob
10-23-2011, 10:30 AM
There is an integral o-ring in the quick-connect, but it not generally replaceable. I usually lube them up with a tiny bit with vaseline before I put them on. Helps them go on easier. I did hear of somebody removing the o-rings and taking them to a specialty o-ring shop (??) where they made custom ones for him or some-such. I've never had one leak badly enough to worry about. Sometimes they drip when you put them back together, but they usually seal up nicely after a few heat cycles.

This. Vaseline works great for the o ring lube.

dmoua68
10-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Just to verify, the heater core hose doesn't have an o-ring inbetween the flange and hose anywhere does it? I'm not sure what would make if fly off the way it did,
Same exact thing happened to me. It's now fixed. But IDK how that could of happened either. ???

SS92
10-23-2011, 04:19 PM
All is fixed now I hope. I found the clip hanging in the side of the hose on the side of the engine thank god, how lucky. I think I got it clipped in right, yanked the hose and it didnt come off so that seems alright to me now. Whatever reason it wasn't before.