PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Wiper Linkage

-:vw:-
10-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Will any fucking amount of prying, pulling, hammering or swearing get this to stay on???

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt229/kev5k/IMG_20111019_173315.jpg

I've really got to hand it to the german engineers on another BRILLIANT piece of engineering. Nothing holding this on except for a dried out rubber bushing, no nut or cotter pin nothing... just the force of gravity to help it fall out... [facepalm]

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Pull the linkage out and put it in a vice to pop it back in. Replacing it is probably your only other option unfortunately.

Jason

FNK
10-20-2011, 01:16 PM
A jobber/poor man solution would be;
1. to drill and tap the other side of the ball linkage and screw on top of it a big washer.
2. try to remove that old rubber bushing and reinstall it from the other side.
3. replace

-:vw:-
10-20-2011, 01:34 PM
^ I thought to do that, however the "stud" is no where near long enough to so much as drill a simple hole in the end and slap a cotter pin and washer on the it (what should have been done from the factory)... I now see what the real issue is however after looking at the transmission on ECS' site. I'm missing a TON of rubber on the linkage end that was originally there to hold it on similar to a boot. What I've done for the time being is glob on a SHITLOAD of silicone around the stud after pressing them back together to mimic the rubber "boot." This is holding for now... That "rubber" or what may have been rubber grommet at one point in time is now hardened steel and will not come out without a fight or in once piece and metal on metal is going to be noisy as hell if I pull it completely.