PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leaking out of Reservoir

anmagro
10-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Coolant is leaking out of my reservoir directly under the small top side hose that goes to the radiator. Enough that after a 30min drive it has leaked out to the seem of the reservoir and dripped down on top of that sides valve cover. I can hear a very very slight hissing from the point of the leak. Do i simply have a micro sized crack where the rad pipe goes into the res. or do i have some kind of pressure problem? All readings from the dash are within spec.

Thanks
-Anthony

seanj130
10-19-2011, 01:52 PM
See if it is leaking out because you have a cracked cap. that happens some times.

Justin@FCP
10-20-2011, 08:49 AM
I just had to replace mine because I had a visible crack in it about the same location where you are describing. The good thing is that I was able to replace the tank before it started to leak. It's cheap and easy enough to replace, it's better to be safe then sorry.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/fcp-product-photography-us/public/assets/products/33805/product/8D0121403L.jpg?1297364987 (http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-coolant-recovery-tank-8d0121403l)
(Click on the pic to follow the produck link.)

Plus it freshens up the engine bay when you have a brand new clean coolant tank too!

Seerlah
10-20-2011, 09:27 AM
I replaced mine last year or 2 years ago purely for aesthetics (got rid of the mustard/dookie brown). Wil replace it again maybe next year.

But take the hose off the nipple and inspect for a crack. Plus it would be a good opportunity to do a coolant flush, if it has noe been done in a while.

anmagro
10-20-2011, 04:03 PM
its not a cracked cap, the leak is from the single point that i discribed. does anyone have input on weather a coolant system can ever be under more pressure than normal there for causing a leak like this to come about?

i am afraid that if i simply replace the res for now, or even put a bead of silicon over the tiny crack that if its a pressure problem that another leak will just pop up somewhere else.