PDA

View Full Version : Transmission fluid leak

97a4
10-17-2011, 08:43 PM
I am having a transmission fluid leak and am having a hard time figuring out where it is coming from. There doesn't appear to be a gasket where the axle bolts up.

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww207/dangerranger/100_4675.jpg

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww207/dangerranger/100_4674.jpg

The top of both pics is towards the transmission and bottoms towards axle and wheel.

walky_talky20
10-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Yep, both axle output shafts have seals behind them. Remove the axle (unbolt inner joint), remove the bolt and the flange, replace seal, bolt up flange/axle, refill front differential.

The front differential is separate on the tip trans. It uses gear oil up in there. Same for the center diff (rear of trans).

97a4
10-17-2011, 08:53 PM
So is it an axle seal I am looking for?

walky_talky20
10-18-2011, 05:29 AM
I can't tell you for sure, since I can't look at the car. But seeing as dead-center in both your photos is the axle output flange, and the propensity for those to leak - I'd say it's quite likely. Like I said, the axle seals will leak gear oil, not ATF. So if you are losing ATF, it's coming from somewhere else. Both are gold (when new), but they smell different.

FNK
10-18-2011, 06:48 AM
As Walky said it;
The trans/diff oil have a stronger smell than the engine oil, it's another way you can tell where the leak is from.

As for the color of the oil, mind you it's dirty from road contaminant, doesn't appear to be red (presuming the transmission/differential have never been changed in the life of the car), so it's quite possible they are leaking since the seals wouldn't have been changed.

But before removing those axle, look around your engine. You might have a gasket leak such as the valve cover gasket, especially if you have a V6 look for the passenger side at the back of the head. The engine oil will drip on the transmission, then on the ground and while the car is moving it will go everywhere making the spotting of the leak far more difficult.

01SantorinS4
01-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Relatively new here-- just bought a 2001 Santorin S4 tiptronic about a month ago as a daily driver... so far I quite enjoy the car. I seem to be having the same issue with front differential oil leak: I changed the trans fluid, and I double-checked my gasket and torque when re-installing the trans belly pan, pretty sure its not leaking from there. Also, I see some small amount of fluid around where the axle flange mounts to the differential, which appears to drip down around the bottom of the differential and over to the belly pay. I have a repair manual write up called "39-5 Front Final Drive Service" (downloaded from an enthusiast's personal site... I'm not sure if it is Bentley or AllData).

This manual shows using a special removal tool and an installation tool. For removal, it seems to me you could probably use a screw-driver or flat bent piece of metal (or even an interior trim removal tool that matter), and for installation it seems a large socket or similar round item would suffice... Does anyone who has done this repair know if any of the special tools are actually necessary? I hate getting halfway into a job on my DD and not being able to finish due to "special" tools

FNK
01-06-2012, 06:38 AM
This manual shows using a special removal tool and an installation tool. For removal, it seems to me you could probably use a screw-driver or flat bent piece of metal (or even an interior trim removal tool that matter), and for installation it seems a large socket or similar round item would suffice... Does anyone who has done this repair know if any of the special tools are actually necessary? I hate getting halfway into a job on my DD and not being able to finish due to "special" tools

Yup, a long screw driver and a socket will do the job just fine. That is what I used/improvised.