PDA

View Full Version : 5 spd swap 1.8T

Sidewayzracer
10-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Im looking to swap out my autotragic and go the route of the 5spd and i was wondering if there was any difference between the engine codes and their transmissions. And also would a 2.8L 5spd bolt up to a 1.8T?

What other components will i need to complete other then the shift linkage pedal box slave cyclinder, flywheel and the adapter for the engine crank?

Im in no rush to complete the swap and will be looking to gather the parts as i can.

thanks in advance

Update 10/26/2011
Using Car-Part.com to search local junkyards for the components for the swap i have found these so far, from 7 different junkyards but the cost savings was to much to pass up vs drive a bit.

Update 10/30/2011
Picked up the trans on thursday from the junkyard looks good though it is missing the clutch arm. Right now its sitting in the A4s trunk filled with other crap.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn57/Sidewayzracer/2011-10-30_02-25-35_734.jpg

Update 11/7/2011
Center Dif with the 4:1 torsen mod completed on it arrives along with my pedal assembly
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn57/Sidewayzracer/2011-11-07_07-06-35_765.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn57/Sidewayzracer/2011-11-07_07-06-42_533.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn57/Sidewayzracer/2011-11-07_07-05-23_400.jpg

Purchased
-DWR 5Spd transmission $158
-Modified center diff $145
-2 trans mounts, clutch resevoir, clutch hardline, slave cyclinder, new passenger side axel $155
-Clutch Master, Pedal Assembly $65

$523 spent

Still Need
-Rear Differential $50
-Driveshaft $60
-Shift Linkage, no leads on this yet
-Single mass Light Weight Flywheel, Clutch, Pressure Plate - Pending $225
-Clutch Arm, no lead yet
-Drivers side Axel $34

Sold
-Center differential $31

biketsai
10-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Please check out the link in my signature, should cover about everything you need to know with links to about 2 other swaps.

Chris

Sidewayzracer
10-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Please check out the link in my signature, should cover about everything you need to know with links to about 2 other swaps.

Chris

The technical thread u made befor u started is just what i was looking for

Sidewayzracer
10-15-2011, 07:03 PM
never mine i should have read further

walky_talky20
10-15-2011, 08:00 PM
There's a lot of documented info on this thank to biketsai! If you have any other questions at all feel free to ask. There are a few of us that have done the swap recently and we are glad to help.

If you're looking to keep the cost down, feel free to check out my thread as well (link in sig). I had a pretty aggressive budget going on for mine and managed to do the entire swap for around $500, without even selling any slushbox parts to offset the cost.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Sidewayzracer
10-15-2011, 08:33 PM
ill keep it updated as i go will have to locate a suitable location for the swap other then my fathers dirt floor garage... Just put some of the local car club people on the look out for some parts while they are out junking.

Sidewayzracer
10-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Ok i located 2 5spd trans, one is a DWR from a 2001 for $150 and the second was a DJJ from a 1999 for $200. Would there be a difference between the two and if so would anything else in the swap need to be changed to matcg the DWR trans?

Also FWD flywheel and Quattro flywheel are they interchangable also same with a 2.8 or a 2.0L im getting them listed under my car-part.com search

Sidewayzracer
10-26-2011, 01:17 AM
Would it be recomended to upgrade to a single mass flywheel? for about $75 more then what i spent on the used flywheel i could get a new single mass with the clutch kit rated at about 250HP.

Though i am considering using a used pressure plate and clutch as i plan on going BT in the future, and instead of buying a new OEM one that will not get full use or buying the Stage 3 which would be wasted. Or is this a major issue and should avoid it and just go new, never reused an old clutch or pressure plate but the cost savings could be significant.

walky_talky20
10-26-2011, 05:39 AM
I got my entire clutch kit w/OEM flywheel for free, it's working good. I just "ghetto resurfaced" the flywheel and pressure plate with a 3M wheel on a rotary tool to smooth them up. I did splurge on a new clutch disk for 75 bucks. The engagement could be a touch smoother, but it isn't bad at all - my brother's brand new clutchmasters fx300 is actually worse. In any case, I can't argue with free. (John, I know it wasn't free. I know I still owe you some help with those indy fogs). See if there are any forum members or other Audi guys in your area that have their old stock clutch laying around. I wouldn't pay very much for used OEM stuff. If I was spending money I'd invest in new stuff, especially for a wear item like that.

I think you are speaking of the Valeo kit, right? That is a popular OEM replacement solution that handles a bit of extra power as well. Make sure you check ebay for pricing too, just search ebay using the Valeo part number.

No difference between DWR and DJJ.

No difference between FWD and quattro flywheels. Not interchangeable with 2.8 or 2.0, though.

Side note: If you want to use an OEM dual mass flywheel with your automatic crankshaft, make sure you get one from an AEB as it will work with the 43mm OD bearing used in the conversion. ATW/AWM/AMB flywheel will not. Reasons are discussed at length in my swap thread.

Sidewayzracer
10-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanx walky on the info on the dual mass AEB flywheels i must have missed that while i was jumping between 10 screens.
Ill probably do the ghetto resurface deal since ill plan on going more power but not yet and just need something serviceable and cheap, doing this cuts the cost of the swap almost in half.

walky_talky20
10-26-2011, 09:44 AM
...doing this cuts the cost of the swap almost in half.

This was the theme of my swap, lol. $1,000 clutch? Heck no. Entire swap for $500? Sign me up. Now if I could sell my perfectly good slushbox for $500, I'd be all set.

biketsai
10-26-2011, 10:22 AM
This was the theme of my swap, lol. $1,000 clutch? Heck no. Entire swap for $500? Sign me up. Now if I could sell my perfectly good slushbox for $500, I'd be all set.

Lol, I bought the $1k clutch, but it was well worth the investment! Plus, I sold my old TIP and made $700. So the net cost was around $1300, I figured thats close to the price of a clutch, and normal people have to buy clutches right?

Sidewayzracer
10-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Just got a $145 dollar quote on a allready modified dif shipped to me. Only costs $20 more then the cost of the dif and shim kit

walky_talky20
10-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Chris: How did you find a buyer for your Tip box? Did you have to ship it?

@All: I realize this is a side question and somewhat off topic, but I believe it has merit to be included in a swap thread....so there.

Sidewayzracer
10-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Chris: How did you find a buyer for your Tip box? Did you have to ship it?

@All: I realize this is a side question and somewhat off topic, but I believe it has merit to be included in a swap thread....so there.

very relevant question...

biketsai
10-26-2011, 01:32 PM
I posted it on craiglist, AZ, Fourtitude, pretty much every big Audi website classifieds. Eventually some guy found it, but another thing to note is that it also has an upgraded VB so that makes it appealing. I did have to ship it. The buyer covered shipping, which was $175 freight. Found a crate at the back of a Home Depot, then bought some heavy duty plastic wrap (saran wrap basically) and just wrapped it up on the crate.

audidriver8
10-26-2011, 03:25 PM
not to thread steal and a noob question but I have a (early/prefacelift) 99 Audi a4 1.8tq with tip and I found a guy on Craigslist selling his 00 Audi A4 1.8tq Manual for $1500 (fenders have dents, and engine wont start). BTW I also wanted the facelift conversion stuff like the headlights, taillights, etc. and then part the rest out. Anyhow, I've been trying to keep up with these threads for the past 3 months now and I want to do the auto to manual swap (auto is boring haha). I have plenty of help and time to do it, just my question is if the 2000 manual transmission (ATW i believe) will bolt up to my AEB Engine? (I read your guys thread about the cranks so I got that down). Only reason for asking is the concern of them not matching up cause to me everyone who has been doing it has facelift cars (if that has any effect).

P.S. Great diy's btw, a lot of questions answered

walky_talky20
10-26-2011, 07:51 PM
No difference with the manual trans. All B5 1.8T transmission will work just fine.

Sidewayzracer
10-30-2011, 01:22 AM
Updated my progress with the swap and finding the parts. List of parts i still need and some quoted prices which i would gladly take off someones hands if they have these lying about. Also any other misc. parts im missing from the list, or even components i should change while im at it.

Sidewayzracer
11-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Few more parts arrived over the week while i had no heat or power for a week. The modified Center differential came in along with the pedal assembley and master cyclinder and ill post up pictures latter on.

Now ive been trying to deciede how i want to go about the swap, either do the swap with the engine in the car, which will be a pain in the ass since i dont have access to a lift or flat level ground. Or to pull the nose off and pull the engine trans out as one peice, which will let me work on getting the crank snout issue taken care of with ease, might also use that time to pull valve cover and intake plenum and powder coat em and maybe delete the PVC system since mine is cracked to shit. Opinions on both options is welcomed, also on the different routes for making the automatic crank workable with a 5spd.

biketsai
11-06-2011, 10:51 PM
I hear pulling the motor is easier, I wouldn;t doubt it either. That auto transmission is a damn dinosaur, weighs like 300 lbs. (Wasn't the most fun taking out on my back)

walky_talky20
11-07-2011, 04:33 AM
...pull the nose off and pull the engine trans out as one peice, which will let me work on getting the crank snout issue taken care of with ease, might also use that time to drop the oil pan and clean out my pickup screen.

^fixed that for you.

Yeah, the Tip is a bear. I'd recommend pulling the engine/trans as a unit, and installing that way as well.

Sidewayzracer
11-07-2011, 03:55 PM
^fixed that for you.

Yeah, the Tip is a bear. I'd recommend pulling the engine/trans as a unit, and installing that way as well.

funny thing is i was going to edit my post after and add that in but didnt bother, but it is on the list of things to do when its out, maybe eventhe t-belt again even though it has ~40K miles on it so far.

Sidewayzracer
11-07-2011, 04:32 PM
i took a closer look ath the pedals sent to me this morning and it looks like its a DBW set and im curious if i can use with my non-DBW by swaping out the throttle pedal on the assembly?
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn57/Sidewayzracer/2011-11-07_07-05-23_400.jpg

a4rings
11-08-2011, 03:01 PM
where did you get your diff modded to 4:1 for $145?

Sidewayzracer
11-08-2011, 03:39 PM
where did you get your diff modded to 4:1 for $145?
i purchased a pre modded dif so i still have the original. Theres a guy on VWvortex that will sell you one premodded and u can send yours back as a core, or you can purchase the kit for $55 shipped and do it yourself.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5358272-FS-B5-S4-A4-4-1-center-differential-modification-like-StaSIS-JHM

Sidewayzracer
11-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Just got finished swapping the modified center differential, will be adding in swapping the valve stem seals while i have the engine out of the car.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn57/Sidewayzracer/2011-11-19_13-23-18_501.jpg

Sidewayzracer
03-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Ended up purchasing a 98 5spd santorin blue 1.8T for $1180, so swap has been scrapped but ill be selling off the transmission in a few weeks when i get arround to swaping out the center differential on the new car.