PDA

View Full Version : tranny or motor?!?!?! please help

turd
10-15-2011, 03:23 PM
I bought a 2000 a4 2.8 Quattro. Engine light came on then tranny started jerking jumping sputtering while accelerating, then I seen smoke coming from behind and/or under the motor. What the F is wrong with it?! I'm quite pissed off about this.

walky_talky20
10-15-2011, 05:47 PM
You let the smoke out, not good. Both smoke *and* mirrors are required for the magic to happen. Find out where that smoke is escaping before you lose any more.

Check codes with vag-com. That may give some insight into the rough running/shifting.

SS92
10-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Posts like these keep popping up alot lately, where you have a CEL but you post no codes... Get your codes scanned, Vag-Com preferred but an OBD will probably work too and post them here. It could be so many things, that it's useless without posting some codes... You should have a obd at the very least if you own this car

Welcome to the forum... turd? [wrench]

Corrado_Guy
10-15-2011, 05:51 PM
You should check the codes for both the engine and transmission and clear them both. Check the oil level in both and make sure the coolant level is up there and the power steering is full. Look around for any obvious signs of leaks and wipe up any that you see and make sure all of the hoses/belts look good. If all of these check out then take the car for a short drive and see if any of the codes come back.

turd
10-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Posts like these keep popping up alot lately, where you have a CEL but you post no codes... Get your codes scanned, Vag-Com preferred but an OBD will probably work too and post them here. It could be so many things, that it's useless without posting some codes... You should have a obd at the very least if you own this car

OBD? Ok guess I'm retarded, I'm not sure what that is or maybe I'm illiterate to abbreviations ? I'll go check the codes tmrw at autozone or something? I'm not sure where else to do it. N thank you, yes turd Haha. I was in a hurry registering this thing . :)

turd
10-15-2011, 06:06 PM
The CEL stays on then flashes when it starts acting up. The COIL PACK looks like it was held over a camp fire, not melted but just the metal looks burnt ? The smoke is comming from under the motor i think? Sounds like the motor is hissing when i shut it off and the coolant jug bubbles for a while afterwards, not sure if that's normal or not. As you can tell, I'm not much of a mechanic.

Sidewayzracer
10-15-2011, 06:11 PM
the flashing generally indicates its activly misfiring. Pull each coil and test them for spark, or just head to autozone and have them scan the car for codes.

SS92
10-15-2011, 06:16 PM
The flashing CEL light means you are misfiring, so it is definately a coil pack or ignition related but could be more severe with smoke pouring out. I'll let the real mechanics chime in on the rest of the thread. I'm not one myself, but I've had so many issues with this car that I can at least put my 2 cents in on some things and experiences. OBD means on board diagnostic, its the plug under the dash. Might want to invest in one for like 15 bucks on fleabay. If you have a smart phone, you can get a bluetooth based OBD reader for when you are on the road (Its what I use, as well as the program "Torque" from android market to check codes from my phone) and a vag-com cable to read when I'm at home. Makes life easy. PM me if you have questions about the OBD bluetooth junk, I can help you out with that. Otherwise post codes and see what the other guys have to say. I work on PC's for a living, not cars haha. It's becoming my new hobby though.

Corrado_Guy
10-16-2011, 09:28 AM
As you can tell, I'm not much of a mechanic.

turd, those words right there say you should be taking this car to a shop and let them deal with it. If you are sort of a mechanic then start with the easy stuff and work your way up and you would be amazed at what you can do. At this point it sounds like the best solution is to suck it up and have a shop diagnose it. Allow them 1 hour to work on the car and diagnose the problem and then you can decide what to do or post the results here and we can help you with what it would take to fix it.

Seerlah
10-16-2011, 09:36 AM

One of the funniest things I have read on this forum board. LOL

But OP, your car seems like it has some issues to it. And I agree with the above, simply because you don't seem like the type to want to fix your car fully by yourself (please pardon for being judgemental). But you will come to know, that you will need to learn how to diagnose and fix your car yourself if you plan on keeping the B5 A4. Otherwise, it can become quite pricey.

turd
10-17-2011, 08:25 AM
You guys are awesome. Thanks, wasnt expecting a ton of positive feed back.
I took the car to a friends house and had him and his dad take a look at it, they both came to the assumption that its probably the rear main seal? Tranny fluid was pouring out. $5 part and who knows about the labor. Were gonna drop the pan and see if its worth fixing our selfs. If not, then the shop it goes. The person I bought it from obviously knew what the problem was and covered it up just enough so I wouldn't know till I decreased and washed the motor and the undercarriage ... bastard. But all in all if I can fix this thing under 300$ then is still say it was worth the 3 grand I paid for the car. FYI this thing still looks brand new, inside and out. Amazing shape, minus the bs right now and only 120,000 miles.

walky_talky20
10-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Not sure what your problem is here. The rear main seal is not serviceable by dropping the oil pan. And the rear main seal does not leak trans fluid. It will leak motor oil if anything. I hope you get it figured out. If you provide more details, we can try to give some advice.

turd
10-17-2011, 01:42 PM
That's why I figured I might as well take it to the shop. I can't afford to drive it back and forth to autozone thinking I may cause more damage.

B5RiceEater
10-19-2011, 04:17 PM
we cant give u any advice without the codes, invest in a v checker pro scan tool from ecstuning.com cheap for 100 bucks...if u cant afford a laptop with vag com software...also it sounds like u MIGHT have a blownhead gasket...but until u get those codes we cant confirm anything...buy a compression tester also while your at it...but being that u seem mechanically declined i suggest u take it to a respectable repair shop and see whats good with ya car

turd
10-19-2011, 04:47 PM
we cant give u any advice without the codes, invest in a v checker pro scan tool from ecstuning.com cheap for 100 bucks...if u cant afford a laptop with vag com software...also it sounds like u MIGHT have a blownhead gasket...but until u get those codes we cant confirm anything...buy a compression tester also while your at it...but being that u seem mechanically declined i suggest u take it to a respectable repair shop and see whats good with ya car

We were all wrong on our guesstamates, I took it in and it was a bad valve cover gasket, ripped cv boot, in serious. Need of a tune up and cylinder four had a dead miss to it. So I just spent $900 on fixing all of that. Really wish I knew how to work on these things. Guess I'm starting to learn now. I hate seeing money disappear like that. But I still wanna thank you all for your 37 cents. Helped out.

turd
10-19-2011, 04:52 PM
One more thing? Is it possible to swap out the backlit dash lights to blue as opposed to the ugly red?

walky_talky20
10-19-2011, 07:06 PM
One more thing? Is it possible to swap out the backlit dash lights to ricer blue as opposed to the tasteful red?

fixed that for you.

ThatA4T
10-19-2011, 07:26 PM
hahaha good work walky. the red dash lights are by far the classiest part of the interior. drive a honda if u wanna swap blue interior lights in

cory.smith
10-21-2011, 06:00 AM
Once again Walky FTW.

Blue? Really? Ugh, the boundary between girls who like pretty things and guys who like ricer cars is getting fuzzier every day.

turd
10-21-2011, 11:51 AM
The red reminds me of my grandmothers pontiac g6. How's that for tasteful?

Corrado_Guy
10-21-2011, 07:03 PM
You would really need to take everything apart and see how it is made before you can really say how easy it is. My Corrado had green back lighting which isn't really easy to see at night so I changed it to red and it was a fair amount of work. Most of the switches used a LED or plastic light filter so these were really easy to change. The green was silk screened onto some of the gauges so I had to carefully sand the green layer off not touching the white below that and used red light filters. It was a lot of work but it wasn't hard and using red is much easier on the eyes at nigh.

Just so you know red is one of the easiest colours on your eyes at night which is why they are used in aviation, military, and smart car manufacturers like Audi. They know red is easy to see at bight, you can focus on it easily, and it doesn't kill your night vision. Did you ever notice that everything is really easy to find at night in your car? Blue on the other hand is at the other end of the spectrum and your eyes actually have a very hard time focusing on the blue spectrum. This is great when think about the amount of people using blue filters in their headlights to make the car look like it has HID lights. Oh, not only can't you focus with the light output from filtered headlight bulbs the filtering also reduces the actual amount of light so even if you could focus on it you can't see it.

Personal opinions aside you can do it if you want to but it would be a fair amount of work and although some may thing it looks better or cool it would not be as good as what you replaced.