PDA

View Full Version : Bittersweet day for my b5- new borla system but..

hellohappiness
10-15-2011, 10:06 AM
I think this is my first post in this forum, but overall I'm very new to the audi community. my 1.8tqm has had a stock exhaust system that was broken at the flex pipe for the past few weeks. I finally got around to ordering the borla catback exhaust system and installed it this morning. while my exhaust was broken it suffered extreme loss of power (expected) and began stuttering while trying to accelerate in higher gears and in lower rpms or going up steeper hills. this was a bummer but I figured it was all attributed to the broken exhaust. I slapped on the new one and while it's definitely much faster and much more powerful, the stutter is still there. (stutter may be a bad adjective) it's kind of like a really long turbo lag... not sure. but it definitely means I've got engine problems whether it's a blown turbo I'm not sure.. I'll do some more research and soul searching once I rest from the hard work for.. not exactly the results I was hoping.
the borla is nice! much quieter than expected.. but I know it will open up a bit after some more driving.

TConklin821
10-15-2011, 10:09 AM
The "stuttering" you describe. Happens in high rpms, like it won't spin any faster? If so, then you're probably running lean. I had the same issue when I had a bad exhaust leak. I cleared the "engine too lean" code, and it was fine. Strange.

seanj130
10-15-2011, 10:25 AM
The "stuttering" you describe. Happens in high rpms, like it won't spin any faster? If so, then you're probably running lean. I had the same issue when I had a bad exhaust leak. I cleared the "engine too lean" code, and it was fine. Strange.

Could be spark plugs.. Or a slipping clutch.

biketsai
10-15-2011, 10:31 AM
I wonder if you have a clogged cat

ricekikr
10-15-2011, 10:34 AM
I had the same issue when I had a bad exhaust leak. I cleared the "engine too lean" code, and it was fine. Strange.

Might not be related, but if there's a huge exhaust leak, o2 sensor will read leaner than actual. Which could trigger and engine too lean code.

OP try doing some logs. Or just better description ie. boost used to come at 3krpm now it comes at 5krpm (if with screeching sound, probably busted turbo, if quiet like normal and less peak boost, probably boost leak). Or stuttering like power, no power, power, no power (which could mean misfires = plugs, coil etc). Or simply no power (blown gasket, rings, valves)

Justin@FCP
10-15-2011, 11:08 AM
I wonder if you have a clogged cat

That is exactly what I was thinking also! Welcome to the Audi family too!!!

As far as the exhaust tone of the Borla, give it a month or 2 to really break-in. You'll find it to be a deeper tone after it's broken-in, but not over powering where it's annoying or droning.

hellohappiness
10-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the input guys. My old exhaust was in really rough shape so an exhaust leak could have done it but now that I have an entire new system replaced along with a new gasket shouldn't that be okay? I'm going to check the plugs and wires tomorrow but I'm also maybe guessing it could be a vacuum leak.. only because I think that's what the trouble shooting guide for engine too lean code suggests.

hellohappiness
10-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Might not be related, but if there's a huge exhaust leak, o2 sensor will read leaner than actual. Which could trigger and engine too lean code.

OP try doing some logs. Or just better description ie. boost used to come at 3krpm now it comes at 5krpm (if with screeching sound, probably busted turbo, if quiet like normal and less peak boost, probably boost leak). Or stuttering like power, no power, power, no power (which could mean misfires = plugs, coil etc). Or simply no power (blown gasket, rings, valves)

so the stuttering begins in between 2.5-4k rpms with me trying to accelerate but not moving very quickly..I can avoid the stuttering if I stay in gears longer using higher rpms and accelerating quicker from first gear through third but the stuttering occurs if I am moving at a slow to normal pace and chose to accelerate while being somewhere between 2.5-4k rpms. hope that makes sense.. when I first purchased my used b5 it was pretty quick.. catching boost at 3-3.5krpm.. now I need to accelerate harder and catch boost at about 4-4.5krpm.. sometimes 5krpm

murdered APR a4
10-16-2011, 06:25 AM
sounds like a fueling issue.....but i could be wrong. Does the stutter make your car feel real jerky?

hellohappiness
10-16-2011, 11:36 AM
sounds like a fueling issue.....but i could be wrong. Does the stutter make your car feel real jerky?

yes jerky, definitely. jerks and slows down which causes me to have to downshift and punch the gas in order to not lose speed

ADNpro
10-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Have you cleaned your MAF? I had that problem awhile back and I cleaned my MAF out and problem was fixed.

seanj130
10-16-2011, 11:56 AM
extremely fouled spark plugs may be due to oil leaking through the valve cover gasket, putt your parkplugs and check for oil. post a picture of the sparkplugs for me please.

murdered APR a4
10-16-2011, 12:49 PM
clean the MAF it's easy and cheap to do. Also pull the injectors it takes ten minutes tops to pull the fuel rail, just to an idea of what they look like. but try the MAF first then go from there.

hellohappiness
10-16-2011, 07:16 PM
alright cool, tomorrow I'll clean the maf and pull the plugs and injectors and see if I can't get it fixed up. I'm feeling a lot better about it now.

murdered APR a4
10-17-2011, 11:11 AM
my car was doing that and it was a combination of the maf and the injectors going bad, hope you get it straightened out