PDA

View Full Version : help with my k04 build trying to do it in expensively

djlegac
10-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Hows it going guys. I am a little new to the forums, but I own a 2000 blue a4 automatic 1.8t quattro and 2001 silver s4 6spd.

Now on my a4 I want to give it a little more pep, but not break the bank. I don't have to worry about labor because my dad owns a shop here in long island so I can do it myself.
So far I got a k04 from a buddy of mine brand new for dirt cheap.
Awe Turbo inlet hose
Ecs tuning race pipe
H and r sport springs

And that's it for now.

So what input you guys have on what else I need?

I know I need a chip I'm leaning towards the giac.

Vinchenzo51
10-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Injectors? No?

Who will be tuning the car? Pretty sure you can run stock injectors on a K04 with the Giac chip, but maybe look into TT injectors if you want to keep costs down. Call a few junkyards.

jaychen
10-12-2011, 08:59 PM
if the chip calls for injectors you will need them..

maybe some NGK BKRE7E plugs as well.. but thats really all you NEED.. then you could go 2.5'' cat back, fmic , water/meth kit etc

djlegac
10-12-2011, 09:11 PM
I forgot, I got the Bosch tt injectors. Is it necessary for a fmic? Tune? I saw people posting just need a giac chip and I would be good?

moyenecorniche
10-12-2011, 09:32 PM
I forgot, I got the Bosch tt injectors. Is it necessary for a fmic? Tune? I saw people posting just need a giac chip and I would be good?

With the KO4 you will need the FMIC, the stock side intercooler will not be able to provide enough cool air which means you will experience heat soak which then makes it pointless to go BT.
Everything has to function as a unit, I would suggest looking thru the A-zine's tech section on your application and where people found what works and what didn't...the info is there, the mistakes have already been made so no need to experiment and confirm. Save yourself headaches as well as funds by really researching as thoroughly as possible.

Avant Nate
10-12-2011, 09:57 PM
You could run without a fmic for now, I do. How much power do I lose? Im not sure, but its still considerably faster than stock.

djlegac
10-12-2011, 10:23 PM
You could run without a fmic for now, I do. How much power do I lose? Im not sure, but its still considerably faster than stock.
How much lbs of boost are you running and how much power are you putting out?

murdered APR a4
10-13-2011, 05:01 AM
injectors with a tt225 maf and FMIC with the chip and it'll be plenty, don't forget to install a boost gauge!

EuroDriven
10-13-2011, 05:18 AM
With the KO4 you will need the FMIC, the stock side intercooler will not be able to provide enough cool air which means you will experience heat soak which then makes it pointless to go BT.

Actually you are wrong, not to call you out or anything. He doesn't NEED an FMIC but he will want one. You can run without one, whether or not it will be beneficial is a different story. It might be easier for him to get the car running and driving with an SMIC then to upgrade in a couple weeks.

OP: You can get a front mount intercooler + piping setup on email for $200ish if you wish to add that to the build sheet as well.

-:vw:-
10-13-2011, 06:24 AM
The cheapest fueling route is the GIAC K04 chip, it uses the stock fueling (injectors and pump) with a 5 bar FPR.

djlegac
10-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Ordered the MAF today, what about the fmic. I'm thinking eBay is the best bang for my buck? Should I do 2.25 or 2.75? I have a stock front bumper. And I'd really like to keep my fogs.

Avant Nate
10-13-2011, 07:10 AM
How much lbs of boost are you running and how much power are you putting out?
It peaks around 18 or so but spends alot of time up above 15. It holds boost much better than the K03. This its according to a vdo boost gauge that zeros at -2 so it may be.closer to 20. I'm doing it all wrong, I don't have upgraded exhaust either.

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-13-2011, 08:44 AM
I highly recommend running a silicone turbo intake pipe. The stock unit tends to collapse under higher boost levels. This can restrict air flow causing a loss in power.

We have a couple different brands available below.

Click HERE to order or for more information. (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Intake/Turbo_Hoses/?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postreply)
http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/70282_x100.jpghttp://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/84835_x100.jpghttp://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/55359_x100.jpg (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Intake/Turbo_Hoses/?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postreply)
Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

Robb12
10-13-2011, 09:31 AM
The cheapest fueling route is the GIAC K04 chip, it uses the stock fueling (injectors and pump) with a 5 bar FPR.

x2...But I believe there are other tunes that call for tt injectors and MAF, since he's already got those I'd recommend looking at other tunes, you'll probably get more out of the k04

murdered APR a4
10-13-2011, 09:35 AM
yeah there are plenty of tunes you can look at, and ECS he said he has AWE TIP? But i went the ebay route with my FMIC works perfect and cost like 160 for the parts. all you have to do is some cutting and fitting. There is a DIY on it if you are having issues figuring out how to do it.

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-13-2011, 09:51 AM
yeah there are plenty of tunes you can look at, and ECS he said he has AWE TIP? But i went the ebay route with my FMIC works perfect and cost like 160 for the parts. all you have to do is some cutting and fitting. There is a DIY on it if you are having issues figuring out how to do it.

Must have missed that in first post! My mistake!

Jason

murdered APR a4
10-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Must have missed that in first post! My mistake!

Jason

Not a problem! and did you have to change your name on here for advertising purposes or something? I was going to say Jason but wasn't sure lol

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Not a problem! and did you have to change your name on here for advertising purposes or something? I was going to say Jason but wasn't sure lol

No worries! It was actually the owners decision to have the user name changed. They wanted the public to see the name as "ECS Tuning" rather than me as an individual.

Jason

djlegac
10-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Hey murder u have the link or store u bought ur intercooler from? Also from research, is giac the most I can get out of the k04? I was told Apr do sent make a tune for a k04 and my car(as per ecs) and unitronic I have not seen too many.

murdered APR a4
10-14-2011, 11:08 AM
i used a cxracing core and ummm i think where i got the piping was like silicone piping dot com or something like that. GIAC is the most commonly used chip for k04.