PDA

View Full Version : looking at buying another b5 with a friend to sell

ThatA4T
10-12-2011, 04:54 PM
did some quick searching but can only find info on the no reverse part of the problem. car is a 98 2.8Q auto The car supposedly will not go into reverse, but also, will not shift out of second gear. (didnt find info on this part in the quick search) any info is appreciated. going to look as we speak and if the price is right we may pick it up to fix/ possibly swap in a transmission if that's the case.

dumpedb5
10-12-2011, 04:57 PM
How much are they asking?

ThatA4T
10-12-2011, 04:58 PM
1500 but we wouldnt pay over 1k

dumpedb5
10-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Mileage?

walky_talky20
10-12-2011, 06:55 PM
How about tiptronic operation?

Could be a bunch of things. Could be as simple as a wet TCU, or a bad Multi Function Switch. Or could be clutches locked up in the transmission badly, or a bad valve body/solenoid. Checking the codes would be the first thing to do.

ThatA4T
10-12-2011, 07:19 PM
We ended up getting it body is in great shape as well as interior. Mileage is 140 first thing now is buy some oil to put in it because the oil pan Gasket is leaking pretty bad. It's runs great though even low on oil no lifter noise or anything. So well try it in tip mode when we go to pick it up. If not it will get trailerd to run some codes and figure out the issue. Then the tear down will begin. I'll be sure to keep posing and pics will come tomorrow. Walky do u still have your old trans?

audikid66
10-12-2011, 07:20 PM
you need a manual trans i got one for cheap to do a manual swap :)

ThatA4T
10-12-2011, 07:49 PM
i got one too haha no swap on this one were goona fix and sell. swap would be way too much work for this car

ThatA4T
10-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Walky u think it may still work in tip?

Seerlah
10-12-2011, 09:01 PM
You plan on replacing the oil pan gasket? I would do that, along with new oil pick up tube. Then start with a TCM swap. That's what I would do if it were me anyways. May not be the cheapest way to diagnose the tranny issue, but could very much be the easiest. Then if that isn't the issue, just attempt to resell the TCM.

EuroDriven
10-13-2011, 05:04 AM
You should be able to pull codes from the trans module I thought.

Also, about the oil pan gasket...For my build I first used RTV gasket maker, which worked great. But then when I popped the pan off a second time, I used a rubber gasket which then started leaking. Not sure what others have had success with. But it would be a PITA if you get it all back together to find out it is leaking.

Keep us updated. With this economy I would like to see SOMEONE make money from flipping a car! If you need anything I have 2 parts cars.

walky_talky20
10-13-2011, 05:30 AM
I've heard of Tips that didn't shift right at all in D, but worked just peachy in Tiptronic, yes.

Yes, I still have my old Tip trans. However, it wouldn't be a match for a V6 I don't think. I have no idea how interchangeable the Tips are. If you kept the Torque Converter and TCU that you have, it may work. Can't know. The trans code on mine is FLA.

I wouldn't worry about the oil leaks until you get it to drive properly. And you should just need some Ultra Black RTV for the oil pan in any case. Figure out the main problem that is making it unsellable (the trans), then attack the maintenance stuff after that. IMHO.

ThatA4T
10-13-2011, 06:42 AM
I've heard of Tips that didn't shift right at all in D, but worked just peachy in Tiptronic, yes.

Yes, I still have my old Tip trans. However, it wouldn't be a match for a V6 I don't think. I have no idea how interchangeable the Tips are. If you kept the Torque Converter and TCU that you have, it may work. Can't know. The trans code on mine is FLA.

I wouldn't worry about the oil leaks until you get it to drive properly. And you should just need some Ultra Black RTV for the oil pan in any case. Figure out the main problem that is making it unsellable (the trans), then attack the maintenance stuff after that. IMHO.
The plan is to get the trans to drive first obviously. Then some small maintenance items and a detail to sell it. Hopefully a quick turn around. As far as the pan I recently did mine and I used the rubber gasket plus rtv and its held up great

Seerlah
10-13-2011, 08:50 AM
I used the OEM Victor Reinz on my oil pan and it does not leak at all. The AWM does not have a gasket for the oil pan, but not sure if the AEB does or not. I would not use the black RVT though, because that crap hardens like glue. I made the mistake of using that stuff on my valve cover gasket, and need to go around the edge with a razor if I want to take it off now. I have a pc vc, and did not place it on yet because of this reason (live and you learn).