PDA

View Full Version : Installed oil catch can and removed Pancake valve Now Oil Leak

BigBlack315
10-11-2011, 10:48 PM
i broke my pancake valve and said F it and removed it all together and installed my Oil Catch Can and now i have a Oil leak in the back of the motor dripping down the side of the Tranny it looks like it would be the valve cover Gasket but it not i see a egr looking thing back there what could it be it has to do something with the pcv system i believe

walky_talky20
10-12-2011, 05:27 AM
Please explain, in detail, what you have done to your engine. So you removed the PRV, then what? Did you cap those ports off or...?

Also the year, engine, and transmission would be required info.

BigBlack315
10-12-2011, 08:48 AM
ok i removed the Prv and replaced it with the oil catch can so i have one hose from the hard pipe that comes from the back of the motor to the front connected to the catch can and then the other hose from the catch can to the turbo inlet intake hose. Basically the catch took the place of the Prv. i have a 2001 A4 1.8T quattro AWM. since theres no Prv on the car at all could the pressure be flowing backwards when i let off the accelerator and making oil spit out the back or could there just be a leak that suddenly started since i removed the PRV??

walky_talky20
10-12-2011, 09:03 AM
That doesn't sound like it would cause a leak, flow will not be reversed in any case. However, it is recommended to retain the PRV even when putting a catch can in line.

Your leak sounds most probably to be a failure of the Camshaft Chain Adjuster Gasket (aka Cam Chain Tensioner gasket, aka CCT gasket) . More specifically the semi-circle plug that sits beneath it. This will cause a pretty nice oil leak on the very rear of the head that will drip down the transmission. Very common failure. Requires a special tool to compress the adjuster/tensioner in order to change the gasket/plug situation. As per my signature.

M-Hood
10-12-2011, 10:16 AM
ok i removed the Prv and replaced it with the oil catch can so i have one hose from the hard pipe that comes from the back of the motor to the front connected to the catch can and then the other hose from the catch can to the turbo inlet intake hose. Basically the catch took the place of the Prv. i have a 2001 A4 1.8T quattro AWM. since theres no Prv on the car at all could the pressure be flowing backwards when i let off the accelerator and making oil spit out the back or could there just be a leak that suddenly started since i removed the PRV??

By removing that valve the turbo is now able to suck too much air out of the crank case and valve cover, basically causing a good amount of vacuum which could have broken the seal on your valve cover gasket.

Pressure cant be sent to the crank case because the turbo inlet hose will never have positive pressure, there is always vacuum at the front of the turbo since it is always spinning even when you lift off the throttle.

BigBlack315
10-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks Guys .....i ordered another PRV from Beiner AUDI and i cleaned off all the Oil and it my turbo feed Line line that's leaking in the back all over the place. i brake cleaned everything and wiped it all down and tarted the car and waited with a mirror and a l.e.d light and saw the oil coming from the line

BigBlack315
10-12-2011, 02:13 PM
DOES ANYBODY know were i can find a DIY on how to change the turbo Feed line for my b5 a4 1.8T quattro AWM??

walky_talky20
10-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Ooh, that's kind of an odd failure.

Changing it is pretty self explanatory. Remove the old line and put the new one in. There's connections on each end, and it's bracketed in place in just a few spots. I don't think it will be too much of an ordeal. There's probably enough room to do it without doing anything drastic, like removing the intake manifold. I have never seen a DIY for this, but there may be some mentions of it in a turbo install DIY somewhere as many people change this line when changing the turbocharger.