PDA

View Full Version : 87 Octane gas

dcc585
10-10-2011, 04:07 PM
I was in a jam and put in 3 gallons of 87 octane gas. I usually use 89 or higher. My B5 is a 99 97K 2.8 quattro. Will this cause any damage to the engine or just a thing to be avoided in the long term?

sean1.8t
10-10-2011, 04:09 PM
oh no's! car will self destruct in 10 minutes!! RUN!!!!!!!!

no, you're fine. opt for the 91 in the future [up]

Noma12vA4
10-10-2011, 04:27 PM
hah why not just put 2.5 gallons of 91? gas can't be thaat expensive out there in baltimore

S4NIK8
10-10-2011, 04:32 PM
It'll be fine

miggity02
10-10-2011, 04:38 PM
You're fine. Use 91 in the future!

Noma12vA4
10-10-2011, 05:50 PM
while we are on this subject....is it true that gas stations such as Valero or 7-eleven may sell less quality gas than, lets say, Shell or Chevron?

I heard somewhere that the cheaper stations buy the bottom layer of gasoline that has been sitting in the underground tanks of retailers such as Shell.
no clue if it's valid: any insights?

Seerlah
10-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Next time that happens, just add some octane booster when you fill if you are going to be shakey about it. But just don't drive in the higher rpms too much, and you will be fine. The less octane simply means it is less clean and won't burn in your engine as good as the 91 would (recomended to use 91 or better). Now if you said that you placed deisel fuel in your tank, that's a different story.

killerkali
10-10-2011, 07:12 PM
^^ lol octane doesn't mean how clean gas is......please do some research on what octane levels effect

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Seerlah
10-10-2011, 07:17 PM
I correct my wording, it doesn't "burn" cleaner.

FNK
10-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Inside the filler door, the recommended octane level is 95 RON or 91 AKI (American standard), however Bentley manual and European 2.8 recommend 98 RON or about 93 octane (AKI).

The lower the octane level, the poorer the performance and fuel consumption.
Your car computer will "pull timing", meaning the air-gas mixture will ignite sooner to prevent per-ignition (this will prevent the flame to start before the spark plug will ignite it causing damage to the engine, the knocking sensor take care of that by igniting it before it can knock or per-ignite). In the end, you will have less power and an engine running hotter (the hot gases will heat the surrounding for a longer period of time, in turn the cooling system will work harder robbing more power... and so on)

There is a lot more to it, but the short answer is ; No it will not harm your engine and you should use 91 or better octane.

Watson
10-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Difference in octane is the burn point of the gasoline, lower the octane the more prone to detonation in a turbo engine.

Seerlah
10-10-2011, 09:35 PM
I thought it was the way the carbon burns, by changing the molecules. Same thing?

M-Hood
10-11-2011, 08:04 AM
You are perfectly fine seeing your in MD, it might be different story if you were in CA.

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Next time that happens, just add some octane booster when you fill if you are going to be shakey about it. But just don't drive in the higher rpms too much, and you will be fine. The less octane simply means it is less clean and won't burn in your engine as good as the 91 would (recomended to use 91 or better). Now if you said that you placed deisel fuel in your tank, that's a different story.

Octane boosters really don't boost the octane levels up that much. You'd be better off spending the money on the correct octane fuel than an octane booster. What they do is true but its only like a few tenths of a point meaning if you run 87 octane it might only bump it up to 87.3 octane.

Jason

M-Hood
10-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Octane boosters really don't boost the octane levels up that much. You'd be better off spending the money on the correct octane fuel than an octane booster. What they do is true but its only like a few tenths of a point meaning if you run 87 octane it might only bump it up to 87.3 octane.

Jason

There is only 1 bottle that will raise the octane more then a few points and that is the Torco Fuel Accelerator.

Chart for using it with 87 octane.
http://torcoracefuel.net/2-docs/accelerator-blend-87.gif

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-11-2011, 01:15 PM
^^ That would be the only exception. Generally speaking the octane boosters found at the local auto parts stores are the ones that don't increase octane levels more than a few tenths of a point.

Jason