PDA

View Full Version : How to access steering rack adjustment screw?

FNK
10-09-2011, 03:39 PM
How to access steering rack adjustment screw on an A4 without removing half the engine bay?

This picture was taken from an A8;
http://i54.tinypic.com/vomq95.png

The red area is the space I don't have on my A4.

So I'm really puzzled as how to access the screw at the bottom of the steering rack!
Since I have a V6, the exhaust manifold is making it impossible to access from the bottom?!

This is the space I have;
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/misc40-image016.jpg

Corrado_Guy
10-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Why do you need to access it? It is not very common to have to adjust these and typically it is only done when assembling the rack. More commonly control arms or tie-rods cause slop in the steering of these cars and not excessive lash in the rack. I don't know how you would access it but I don't think this will fix the problem unless your rack is really bad.

FNK
10-09-2011, 05:04 PM
I did a full Control arm kit replacement this summer and there is still some play and the car goes all around when I hit a crack on the highway. If one side goes in a puddle of water, the car will steer then i'll get the feedback from the steering wheel (I made it sound exagerated to get the right idea, the play is minimal but it does steer.)
So there is a slight play in the steering, lifting the front wheels I can hear a slight ticking sound, according to Bentley, I should screw it until no tick can be heard in the cabin.

FNK
10-10-2011, 07:40 AM
*Bump, no one?

FNK
07-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Any idea? It's getting worst...
When I'm on a bad pavement, the steering wheel goes to whatever side it want. (Pull heavily to one side then another).

It might not be this, but I'm puzzled to what it could be.

walky_talky20
07-25-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm having this issue as well recently. The steering wandering and such. I have new all-metal tie rods to put in first, then an alignment. If that doesn't fix it, then I'm going to tighten that thing up a bit and see. On the highway I can feel a bit of "free play" in the steering. It is extremely minimal, but makes it drive like a truck instead of an Audi.

The wandering seems to have gotten slightly worse after lowering and 8 new control arms. I'm thinking an alignment will help a bit, but I still don't like the play. My car has 200k, so I think it may be time to turn the screw.

Anyway, I have a 1.8T with manual trans, so I believe the adjustment is quite easy to get at. 2.8 has the exhaust directly in the way. Have you tried to touch it with your hand? Perhaps you can squeak a wrench in there? I don't think it will be very hard to turn at all.

Poopie
07-25-2012, 09:14 PM
theres an adjustment screw? i thought it was an alignment screw to center the rack for install

FNK
07-26-2012, 03:45 AM
I will try one more time and remove as much parts as I'll need... I'll report back this weekend.
It really feel like the whole steering rack is shifting from one side to the other.
If the screw dont fix it, it might be internal hydraulic damper.

Polskatomek
05-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Sorry to resurrect this... I'm experiencing the same thing. Did you figure out what it was?

FNK
05-30-2013, 05:54 AM
In the end, it was the rear suspension bushings. They where all done (dried and worn). Making the car steer on its own.
But the steering rack is also in need of replacement. I've offset the rack to one side (using the threaded tierod end), and did an alignment.
A year later, it still good.

juttin3
06-04-2013, 01:00 PM
The rear suspension bushings were causing it to wonder . I have where steering wheel is straight on highway but car goes left and right on its own. So I have to turn left n right to keep car straight. Car had alignment at dealer last month and new arms and tie rod ends. Dealer didn't mention anything on alignment print out.

I can move the big rear control arm forward n back if I still a extension in between. The bushing on top looks white n corroded.

FNK
06-05-2013, 11:44 AM
I do not have a picture available, but go under your car and look for at the rear at lower arm bushing. They should be centered, if not they need replacement as they are worned and they move. (I know without picture it can be confusing, but chances are if it's not been replaced yet, they are done and need to be replaced.) The garage who aligned the car the first time did a very poor job of not noticing it. The car was still wandering so I went to another garage who pointed theses bushing. I replaced them and it's fine now.