PDA

View Full Version : Taking on water...Interior drenched

TSG
10-08-2011, 09:29 AM
I have a 98 A4 2.8, and the driver's side of the car is getting soaked. The drain hole under my battery is fine, I haven't checked the other because I didn't know where it was, but I just looked it up. I'll have to check the sunroof but the amount of water in there is ridiculous, so what else could it be? I just took out the ECU box to check the seal and it appears to be fine. Last time I noticed it there was a good 2 inches of water before I vacuumed it out. I didn't pull up the carpet because I knew the issue wasn't resolved.

Edit: Also, even if the drains are clogged, how does the water get inside? Everything appears to be water tight.

seanj130
10-08-2011, 09:57 AM
It is your hood release cable, follow it as it goes through the fire wall.

yoffer
10-08-2011, 11:23 AM
I would also check the cabin air box under the hood. Usually when they leak, water will get on the passenger side, but who knows. Mine did this and i ended up taken the entire cabin box assembly out and blocking the hole off.

TSG
10-08-2011, 12:09 PM
It's not the hood release cable, just checked it. The drain hole under the brake booster was clogged, I cleared that out. Any other ideas? I have yet to check the sunroof, but I assume there are drain holes on each side, where do they go?

seanj130
10-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Under the ecu. if that is clogg, it will pile up by the hood release cable.. and water WILL enter through there. Take off the kick panel where your fuses are, Dump alot of water on it and watch it drain. you already have water in there, a little more wont hurt.

TSG
10-08-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm not at home right now but I'll try it then, thanks for the advice.

Sidewayzracer
10-09-2011, 06:12 AM
i had this issue and it was the hood release cable i had done some routing of a vacuum line for a boost gauge and hadnt place the cable grommet back in. I vacuumed out about 5 gallons of water this week because of it.