PDA

View Full Version : Cant fig out this miss firing

SmokeTheRear
10-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Whats up guys i bought my car with probally every code known to man not knowing. Im down to these random Intermediate miss fires. Ive changed plugs, all four coils packs. i feel the car miss firing around idle and thats about it. I know im getting a o2 error reading due to the gasket that came with my k04 kit was flimsy and now has air seeping in. Im thinking maybe Icm or if i change the gasket o2 reading will be fine. Just looking for input from your guys. [wrench]

colony7
10-07-2011, 01:55 PM
if your car is an atw like your signature says, you dont have an icm

Crispy222
10-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Are you sure its misfiring? Could it be back-firing? Or lack of firing from being to rich. Get a new O2 sensor if you're pulling any codes on B1 S1 emissions.

What plugs are you running with what gap? Where did you get your replacement coils? Dealer replaced recalled coils? You're typical Autozone/Napa/Advanced coils are junk on modified VAG/Audi cars.

SmokeTheRear
10-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Got my coils from a parts depot for audi/Vw where dealers and Vag mechanics get there parts from. So there legit coils. Right now im running temp plugs and need to buy Ngk like i had before. The o2 sensor is only a year old. Ill post codes tommorow from vag com.

colony7
10-08-2011, 11:16 AM
try unplugging your MAF and see if it idles better, if so thats the problem

SmokeTheRear
10-08-2011, 11:42 AM
My maf for 8 months never read because someone put it in inverted, so i bought a used clean on and cleaned it hooked up vag com and went to the block reading for Maf and the readings are spot on.

Seerlah
10-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Since you have a Vag com, log block 015 (will log misfires for cylinders 1-3) and block 016 (will log misfires for blocks 4-6, but you need to have this block measured to see cylinder 4 activity). At least then you will know which cylinder is causing the misfire, and you can proceed from there.

SmokeTheRear
10-08-2011, 12:18 PM
There all misfiring -______- lmao Random intermediate miss fires

nam3
10-08-2011, 04:21 PM
change the spark plug boots.

Corrado_Guy
10-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Have a look at the PCV system, if the big plastic thing that connects to the other pastic thing that is attached to the block has rotted from oil and broken apart as most do you can see this as well. On the ATW you will have a long steel pipe that goes down the passengers side of the valve cover and will plug into one of the boost tubes by the turbo. It has a round thing with a tube coming in on the side and one out the bottom to the boost tube. If you follow this tube to the other end it will go around the back of the head and then start coming back up the drivers side of the motor. As soon as it starts up the drivers side it will hit a big rubber 'T' which contains the actual PCV valve. The big plastic thing which rotted out on mine was just on the other side of this 'T' heading in the same direction as the steel tube. Mine felt like it was missing a bit or hesitating at idle and a little above and I could always smell oil fumes once the motor warmed up properly.

I went through every hose and vacuum line on mine and found a bunch of boost leaks that I fixed and the PCV system was the last thing. There are a number of one way valves in this system so you will want to check them and make sure they are working properly and test the PCV valve as well. Depending on what you want to do you can either throw a catch can on it and remove a lot of that system to clean things up. Catch cans work but make sure you use big enough hose so it doesn't plug up or freeze in the winter. Depending on the day you can sometimes smell the oil which I don't really like so I left mine factory. Doing it the factory way isn't cheap, I paid over $300 CAD for a bunch of the parts and there are still a lot of the original parts in there. Some of the stuff I replaced didn't exactly need replacing but I could see it had seen better days.

This may or may not be your problem, it was part of mine as well as boost leaks but it is worth checking. You can feel the big black tube thing located just on the side of the 'T' and you should be able to feel between it and block and you will feel that it is obviously broken. These also collect sludge so if your car had this issue it could help deteriorate the plastic and cause it to fail like mine.

Crispy222
10-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Got my coils from a parts depot for audi/Vw where dealers and Vag mechanics get there parts from. So there legit coils. Right now im running temp plugs and need to buy Ngk like i had before. The o2 sensor is only a year old. Ill post codes tommorow from vag com.

Get the right plugs with the correct gap. It will make all the difference.

SmokeTheRear
10-09-2011, 08:20 PM
WHen i had the right plugs gapped to .28 for the tune i believe it still threw up Miss fire codes. Will be ordering this week as these Ngk plugs are impossible to source in stores.