PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Audi A4: Help Me Locate This Noise

JTAC
10-07-2011, 01:57 AM
I own a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T. This last week I had the alternator and battery replaced. About 3 days later, I began hearing this squealing noise. I have searched everywhere to determine what was causing the noise. Unfortunately I have had little success. I plan on taking the car back to where I got the work done to get it fixed, but any input is appreciated.

Within the last couple days, the noise goes away...but then reappears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0owzqGyUzM&feature=player_profilepage

murdered APR a4
10-07-2011, 04:16 AM
bearing on one of the pulley's, seeing as how you just got the alternator replaced i would assume that's where it is coming from. That would be my guess, plus you cant tell just by looking at it you kind of need to use a stethoscope.

TConklin821
10-07-2011, 04:38 AM
Definitely sounds like a pulley.

walky_talky20
10-07-2011, 05:14 AM
You can take a wrench to the belt tensioner (carefully, with engine running), and remove the belt tension (or add some!) to see if the noise changes. If you fully remove the belt tension and the noise is still there, you can bet the noise is not on your belt path.

murdered APR a4
10-07-2011, 06:14 AM
You can take a wrench to the belt tensioner (carefully, with engine running), and remove the belt tension (or add some!) to see if the noise changes. If you fully remove the belt tension and the noise is still there, you can bet the noise is not on your belt path.

this is true but i've never heard a non-pulley issue that sounds like this although it could just be a serpentine belt.....just have to pinpoint it.

JTAC
10-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. Soonest I can get the mechanic that worked on it to locate the problem, is next Thursday. Looks like I got to deal with it until then. Not a big deal, but not something I can easily ignore.