PDA

View Full Version : All kinds of misfires above 10 PSI on GT2871R ATP tune.

A1 A2 German
10-06-2011, 04:31 PM
She's getting there!

'97 AEB 20v, GT2871R, ATP tune, RC injectors, 3" MAF, 034 Induction Hose, Stock FPR, 007 DV, FMIC, 3" test pipe, APR exhaust, stock coils, 91 Octane is all we get. and just installed a Walbro in tank pump this morning.

She runs perfect and strong till 10lbs PSI,every time, droppin the clutch, every gear, runs perfect, roasts the tires @ 10psi. However I can't drive balancing @ ~1/3 throttle, and attempting to push her beyond ~10 psi she'll bog down, kinda jolt, and trying to push through that I'll get a quite large plumb of un-burned gas? filling up the street. Codes: Misfires

I got this kit off some one who's frequent here, and fully trust the guy, hell, he even checked up on his own accord every couple days to see how it was all going, even a month+ later and provided me track videos of this kit poppin off good times. So, I'm thinking it's my car, and not the kit itself, but who knows.

So, I did try to contact ATP for exact specs and got no response, here are my questions and or concerns:

- Seems like a lot of kits are using other FPRs then stock, and have no way to verify the proper bar.
- You'll notice in my picture, my intake is sucking on it's own shizzle (which I'll be getting a u-bend to direct it to cooler air and a better heat shield). Think it's creating that large of a problem (last air temp was 78F getting misfires)?
- RC Injectors (came with the kit) : This could be it. I was having a discussion with Garret of GIAC (another project) and he stopped me dead in my tracks when I mentioned RC injectors. He informed me and even did an illustration of the spray pattern, he said those are great for Fords, but a absolute no-no for VAG cars, said it was way off. Any one heard this? That would be great if just the injectors.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/GT2871R001-1.jpg

thenj3
10-06-2011, 04:58 PM
you check for boost leaks?

Crispy222
10-06-2011, 05:02 PM
You hace a coil pack going bad or a spark plug that fuced. Vag Com, should show code for misfire on cylinder #X, replace coil pack.

Steven001
10-06-2011, 05:49 PM
X2 ^^

vietxnam
10-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Definitely check the plugs and coils. I'm going through the same thing. What plugs are you using and gap?

A1 A2 German
10-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Thanks.

The reason I didn't bring that up is I have the infamous almost never good bad AEB coils and never had this before. They're probably the OEM ones that came with the car lol. But if bad maybe I'll do that new coil and wiring harness upgrade. I'm using those BKR7kes or what ever the popular ones are along those lines.

vietxnam
10-06-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm aeb also on stock coils, running bkr7e .028. Originally gapped too high at .032. I was getting ridiculous breakup through the rpm range. Regapped and it was smooth for maybe 1 hour. Now I'm getting the same stuttering on boost. Might try .027 and see how that goes. Ive put in an order for Bosch fr6dtcs. Good luck hope you get it straightened out.

Crispy222
10-06-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm on NGK BKR7Qs (2004 RS6 stock plugs). Out of the box they where .030. I gapped them down to .025 to make the motor run smooth til I can get a new tune. Currently I'm running to rich and its basically smothering the spark.

Turbo Nerd
10-06-2011, 08:16 PM
I'm on NGK BKR7Qs (2003 RS6 stock plugs). Out of the box they where .030. I gapped them down to .025 to make the motor run smooth til I can get a new tune. Currently I'm running to rich and its basically smothering the spark.

Fixed.

M-Hood
10-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Lose the RC injectors and the the crappy MIKA tune. I have never seen a MIKA tuned car run good more less run good times at the track.

Crispy222
10-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Fixed.
zero difference.

Lose the RC injectors and the the crappy MIKA tune. I have never seen a MIKA tuned car run good more less run good times at the track.
Whats wrong with the RC injectors? Just spray pattern? Recommendation?

M-Hood
10-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Bosch EV14's would be a much better choice.

A1 A2 German
10-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Seems like a few are having this problem.

550cc Bosch EV14 Fuel Injectors?

And to answer some one on the RC's, yes, how is sprays is supposedly WAY WAY off. The position of the cylinder, to angle, to injector position, is not good (this is supposedly folks!)

I know some years have HUGE coil problems, and I can understand that new style coil conversion people do. Where you need to do a wire conversion and need those special new style coil brackets, as able to produce a much hotter gab, think this netted 15lbs on the dyno. Any one have a link to that thread?

Concerning that and if I dealt with the coils, considering I'm not the problematic year, shall I look into that conversion or just get new AEB '97 coils and call it a day?

Turbo Nerd
10-06-2011, 11:34 PM
You could do the ICM delete and convert AEB to ATW coils. If you don't want to stock AEB coils are fine, also change the spark plugs too even if they're new. NGK BKR7E's gapped to .028 are cheap and great (under $2).

Dan[FN]6262
10-07-2011, 05:35 AM
I had all sorts of issues with NGK plugs. I'm running Bosch F5DP0R's now with zero issues.

SleeperAvant
10-07-2011, 05:56 AM
5857;6925432']I had all sorts of issues with NGK plugs. I'm running Bosch F5DP0R's now with zero issues.

x2

A1 A2 German
10-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Bosch F5DP0R @ .028?

Dan[FN]6262
10-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Bosch F5DP0R @ .028?

you cannot gap them. they come pre gapped.

but you should look into some other tune. that Mika tune is bullshit

A1 A2 German
10-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Holy snikeys! $60 for 4 spark plugs....jezz..

-:vw:-
10-07-2011, 12:36 PM
ATP does tuning (snickers)?... Notoriously garbage... May as well throw an EIP tune in there lol.

A1 A2 German
10-07-2011, 12:49 PM
While I'm at it I'm gonna get some plasma coils, hell.....they come with free dragon stickers, so what's $700 for four coils?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OKADA-PLASMA-DIRECT-COIL-AWM-AMB-BFB-AUG-BJX-AWU-AWP-/270782882676?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Audi|Model:A4&hash=item3f0beae374#ht_3833wt_886

nunya
10-07-2011, 01:17 PM
While I'm at it I'm gonna get some plasma coils, hell.....they come with free dragon stickers, so what's $700 for four coils?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OKADA-PLASMA-DIRECT-COIL-AWM-AMB-BFB-AUG-BJX-AWU-AWP-/270782882676?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Audi|Model:A4&hash=item3f0beae374#ht_3833wt_886

It's not your coils, the AEB coils are rather bullet proof. Its the tune. The RC Injectors are fine. The 4bar FPR is fine. I still run the RC 550's i got when i was fooled into buying the ATP/Mika tune. I have ran their 440cc GT2x tune, 440cc GTRS tune, 550cc GTRS tune, and their 550cc 71R tune. They all sucked. I actually had 034 write over it for my current tune since i wouldnt pass it on to anyone with a good conscience. These folks made the tune http://www.turbotec.com/index.php. I should go kick Mika in the shins the next time i am in Finland for work. The plugs play a big part. ATP recommends F6DTC's with that tune. They worked better then any others for me. I still run them to this day.

--dillon

Dan[FN]6262
10-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Holy snikeys! $60 for 4 spark plugs....jezz..

yeah, but they'll last you 5 years with no issues. lol

SleeperAvant
10-07-2011, 02:01 PM
5857;6926812']yeah, but they'll last you 5 years with no issues. lol

Yep, I've only been running them for 6 months for daily driving at 30psi + water/meth and a handful of track days in the Summer. I pulled them this past weekend and they were still clean.

A1 A2 German
10-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Holly wounder of information thread.

I'm placing and order with ECS for some other goodies, so for another ~$110 I may do the full 2.0T RED E coil pack conversion. A brand new harness is like $48, and the coils are only $19 a pop. My car's old, a '97, and to be honest think all that stuff is actually the original. For ~$110 I have no problem replacing all that stuff, especially after seeing what the coil pack harnesses looked like on everyones conversions after they peeled back the outer wire sheathing. Holy bad news.

Thanx Dillon for the spark code!

This is my kit, right outta this car: 12.6 quarter, not to bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdNsMcPe2Nw&feature=channel_video_title

nunya
10-07-2011, 02:36 PM

I'm placing and order with ECS for some other goodies, so for another ~$110 I may do the full 2.0T RED E coil pack conversion. A brand new harness is like $48, and the coils are only $19 a pop. My car's old, a '97, and to be honest think all that stuff is actually the original. For ~$110 I have no problem replacing all that stuff, especially after seeing what the coil pack harnesses looked like on everyones conversions after they peeled back the outer wire sheathing. Holy bad news.

I wouldnt waste much money trying to get this tune to work correctly. Its not bad idea to check the harness but i have heard of no one who got it to run right. I spent way too much $$$$ when i was trying to make it run right.

--dillon

nunya
10-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Ohh, and getting it to run right for 1320ft doesnt mean drivability is there. Warm start is awful, partial throttle is awful, N75 control is awful, etc etc. It's a slippery slope and it may be better to just get another tune known to work. The hardware is fine.

--dillon

rubberband
10-07-2011, 02:51 PM
I had the same issues as you did when I first installed my elim. the coils worked fine prior to installing too. I messed with it for months, changing mafs, BKR7k7E coppers,N75's, yadda, yadda. Mine was good til about 13-15 psi and it would break up.
I ended up buying a fresh set of ATW coils, repaired a few cracked wires in the harness and installed the BKR7eIX iridium and all is well... 1 year and counting. really dont know for certain what it was that fixed it because I did all three at once. I think it was that wires were jumping spark and arcing out on the valve cover to be honest. how is your coil harness? any cracks?
kinda off topic, but how is that exhaust manifold holding up? I have in my garage to replace my ATP manifold but held off due to uncertainty of the product.
its the ebay one yeah?

A1 A2 German
10-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanx guys, I hear ya on: Attempting to get the tune to run properly and will tract down another ECU.

As for the coil conversion, I really don't find it a big deal to do it really, ~14 year old coils I really don't have a problem parting with.

Any one know of a vented 1.8T valve cover that accepts the longer 2.0T coils and is vented?

The SS tubular manifold I've had for over 3 years, not a single problem other then getting to all the nuts, hell, I don't even run a turbo brace (I'm gonna track one down).

nunya
10-07-2011, 03:11 PM
I had the same issues as you did when I first installed my elim. the coils worked fine prior to installing too. I messed with it for months, changing mafs, BKR7k7E coppers,N75's, yadda, yadda. Mine was good til about 13-15 psi and it would break up.
I ended up buying a fresh set of ATW coils, repaired a few cracked wires in the harness and installed the BKR7eIX iridium and all is well... 1 year and counting. really dont know for certain what it was that fixed it because I did all three at once. I think it was that wires were jumping spark and arcing out on the valve cover to be honest. how is your coil harness? any cracks?
kinda off topic, but how is that exhaust manifold holding up? I have in my garage to replace my ATP manifold but held off due to uncertainty of the product.
its the ebay one yeah?

I returned ATP's high flow manifold three times for cracking. Even the new revision cracked. I finally just gave up on it and changed turbine flanges.

--dillon

M-Hood
10-07-2011, 04:03 PM

Sorry to break this to you but that run was done with a GT30r not the GT2871r you bought. He was also running TAPP/Eurodyne tuning seeing that he stopped running the ATP/MIKA tune in 2008. He later went on to run a 12.50 with the GT30r. Maybe you should have done a quick search.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/433069-aaronamerica-1-4-Vids!

Went out with the local Audi group to the strip last night, I didnt run my car but I took some videos of my friend Aarons car (aaronamerica).
Here is his sig:
1998 Audi A4 built 1.8t Quattro/gt3076 turbo/12" fmic/Tapp tuned/630cc injector/Walbro 255 fuel pump/AEM afr Wideband/ s4 Scorpion 3 inch catback exhuast with a 3 inch cut out/034 track density motor and tranny mounts/ JHM short shifter/and lots more....
His GT3076 is basically an eliminator setup offered by ATP! Best run was 12.669

his thread about going with the TAPP tune back in 2008
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/211120-just-installed-the-Tapp-tuning?highlight=Tuning

Thanx guys, I hear ya on: Attempting to get the tune to run properly and will tract down another ECU.

As for the coil conversion, I really don't find it a big deal to do it really, ~14 year old coils I really don't have a problem parting with.

Any one know of a vented 1.8T valve cover that accepts the longer 2.0T coils and is vented?

The SS tubular manifold I've had for over 3 years, not a single problem other then getting to all the nuts, hell, I don't even run a turbo brace (I'm gonna track one down).

None of the valve cover will, you have to use adapters like IE offers to use the 2.0T coils on a 1.8t valve cover. The 2.0T coils are just too long to use on the 1.8t causing them to sit way too high.

nam3
10-08-2011, 04:51 PM
I have the same tune, but mine is for 3bar fpr, not 4bar.

MIDNITEAUDI
10-09-2011, 03:17 PM
I was having similar problems and I found it to be my coilpacks. ATW packs with water methanol injection=bad idea. I spent the ridiculous amount of money for the Okada Projects coilpacks. No more misfires. Runs strong