PDA

View Full Version : trying to decide on a new ecu chipping

Sidewayzracer
10-06-2011, 04:25 AM
currently running a used giac chipped ecu which in the past 2 weeks has stoped sending signals to the coil packs while driving. but will run and boost great for hours of driving, i have the stock ecu i would swap in to get back home. Im thinking the ecu is having some form of short within it and am contemplating a new chipping company.

im trying to decide between a APR stage 1 200hp / 243lb-f based on their site
Unitronic stage 1+ 201HP / 220LB-TQ
Revo stage 2 which ive seen figures of 223 hp+ from some audizine members

im leaning more towards the revo stage 2 based on performance and price, though the apr one doesnt seem to be a bad deal but have heard some complaints with it eating turbos.

CCA4
10-06-2011, 05:25 AM
Not sure how interested you would be in this, but you might contact GIAC and ask them to take a look at it. If its a short or a bad solder someplace in the ECU then fair enough, but you should make sure its not the chip. Not knowing the year of the car, or when you got the tune, its hard to say. I don't really know when GIAC stopped using actual "chips" and moved to flashloading tunes. But it can't hurt to ask.

As for a new tuning company, what are your plans for the car? What year is it? Any existing mods?

Sidewayzracer
10-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Not sure how interested you would be in this, but you might contact GIAC and ask them to take a look at it. If its a short or a bad solder someplace in the ECU then fair enough, but you should make sure its not the chip. Not knowing the year of the car, or when you got the tune, its hard to say. I don't really know when GIAC stopped using actual "chips" and moved to flashloading tunes. But it can't hurt to ask.

As for a new tuning company, what are your plans for the car? What year is it? Any existing mods?

Well i got the chip and ecu used through vwvortex so i dont know if they would honor a warranty or anything of that nature. The car is a 1.8T 99 so far its just has a cat delete and eventually ill change out the stock exhaust for some 2.5 inch. i dont plan on going crazy with the modifications in the near or long off future though if i go with the revo stage 2 i would upgrade the fpr to match the requirements for the tune.

nizmosx
10-06-2011, 08:29 AM
if you have a 2000 audi a4 quattro 5 speed, i have a giac flashed ECU that is not one of their off the shelf files. Its a more aggressive boost profile. I would be looking to trade for a stock ecu plus cash because im going big turbo in the near future and i dont want giac to flash over this file.

viceprp
10-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Contact me if interested in an APR ecu. Will sell with forge DV for cheap. For the ATW engine.

Seerlah
10-06-2011, 08:41 AM
If going with a new flash, then choose a company you can upgrade with if you ever decide to go BT (Revo, Unitronic, Eurodyne).

Sidewayzracer
10-06-2011, 02:48 PM
I gonna try and get in contact with giac about having them check out the ecu for defects in the soldering job and maybe have them updated to the newer flash based, hopefully for free

MIDNITEAUDI
10-09-2011, 02:19 PM
I have an APR stage 3 tune and I'll tell you the service there is terrible. Got the kit about 3 years ago. They have sent me wrong parts more than twice now. I wish I had gone with something else.