PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated: Walbro intank pump pumps out side of car, yet not inside car, ?

A1 A2 German
10-06-2011, 02:02 AM
So I installed my Walbro intake pump and and won't start even though I hear it prime, popped off the feed line, no gas still, pulled the tank cover, fiddled, still no pumping of gas, even added 2 full gallons of gas, nothing.

Removed it completely (as seen in first pic), set in a bowl of water, hooked it up to an old uncharged battery with out enough juice to start a car and starts shooting water like a garden hose on fuel blast.

Re-install, nothing.

Fully charged performance battery
Full gas
Priming with every key start

WTF, this is b.s. that just makes me wanna stop working on cars.

Here it is, I'll even sit there and prime it 30 times (and I hear it prime) and not a single drop comes up this straw seen in the second pic (the same that shot water out like a garden hose once hooked up to a old battery)

EDIT FOR INFO: The car was fulling running perfect with the stock pump, the Walbro addition is for a larger turbo, nothing has been tampered with concerning relays, etc..cleared all codes if any, still nothing.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/Fuelpumpproblems001.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/Fuelpumpproblems002.jpg

Seerlah
10-06-2011, 07:04 AM
You posotive the wires are connected properly? That was my first issue when I installed my 044. Brown is negative and black is posotive (backwards, if I have ever seen). I assume the wires are spliced together in that sheath. Be sure that red wire coming from the Walbro pump (assuming they did it properly and that is the posotive) is attached to the black wire on the stock connector. And the black wire coming from the Walbro pump (assuming they did it properly and that is the nagative/gound) is attached to the brown wire on the stock connector.

The pump will still prime if the conections are backwards, but won't turn over when you crank the car (won't stay running). And to get my car to turn over the first time after I installed it correctly, I had to manually hold the fuel pump relay closed (pop the cover off of it and hold it closed with a screw driver). This will allow you to have your fuel feed line fully prime (hold it down for like 10 seconds or so). The alloted time that the ECU permits the pump to prime when the key is in the starting position the system is not enough time (like 1-2 seconds) to build proper fuel pressure. Now that the system is primed, I had to hold the relay closed for the first time I turned it over. But after that, everything works as normal (minus the booty check valve on the 044, that needs an upgrade).

EuroDriven
10-06-2011, 07:11 AM
You posotive the wires are connected properly? That was my first issue when I installed my 044. Brown is negative and black is posotive (backwards, if I have ever seen). I assume the wires are spliced together in that sheath. Be sure that red wire coming from the Walbro pump (assuming they did it properly and that is the posotive) is attached to the black wire on the stock connector. And the black wire coming from the Walbro pump (assuming they did it properly and that is the nagative/gound) is attached to the brown wire on the stock connector.

The pump will still prime if the conections are backwards, but won't turn over when you crank the car (won't stay running). And to get my car to turn over the first time after I installed it correctly, I had to manually hold the fuel pump relay closed (pop the cover off of it and hold it closed with a screw driver). This will allow you to have your fuel feed line fully prime (hold it down for like 10 seconds or so). The alloted time that the ECU permits the pump to prime when the key is in the starting position the system is not enough time (like 1-2 seconds) to build proper fuel pressure. Now that the system is primed, I had to hold the relay closed for the first time I turned it over. But after that, everything works as normal (minus the booty check valve on the 044, that needs an upgrade).

This was my issue when I installed my pump, hooked it up backwards. But to prime the fuel lines, I didn't do anything special. It basically just started instantly without any priming.

biketsai
10-06-2011, 07:30 AM
This was my issue when I installed my pump, hooked it up backwards. But to prime the fuel lines, I didn't do anything special. It basically just started instantly without any priming.

Sounds scary, wouldnt want a spark while in the gas tank!

EuroDriven
10-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Sounds scary, wouldnt want a spark while in the gas tank!

Why would it be scary? A fuel pump is just an electric motor. If you hook it up backwards it will pump into the tank rather then out of the tank. Not sure where the spark would come from.

A1 A2 German
10-06-2011, 01:54 PM
You posotive the wires are connected properly? That was my first issue when I installed my 044. Brown is negative and black is posotive (backwards, if I have ever seen).

Thanks! Yeah, they are color coded backwards! Gezzzzz.......fired up in 3 seconds.

M-Hood
10-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Why would it be scary? A fuel pump is just an electric motor. If you hook it up backwards it will pump into the tank rather then out of the tank. Not sure where the spark would come from.

Correct, fuel pumps can pump in either direction based on which side of the pump gets 12v.

A4Rob
10-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks! Yeah, they are color coded backwards! Gezzzzz.......fired up in 3 seconds.

Sweet! Easy fix.