PDA

View Full Version : Brake Question

clouds_aflame
10-05-2011, 03:42 PM
So this might be a real stupid question, but I thought I would throw it out there. I replaced my brakes almost exactly a year ago. OEM rotors and Redstuff brake pads all around. The last month or so I can tell one or more rotors are warping already.

My question is, could I get the rotors turned/resurfaced and use the same pads, or should I simply replace everything? That would be incredibly frustrating if I needed to purchase it all again, one year later. The pads obviously have lots of life left.

Corrado_Guy
10-05-2011, 04:14 PM
The pads should always be replaced when you turn rotors as they wear into the shape of the rotors surface. How hard do you drive or brake? It sounds kind of premature for the rotors to be warping or were they cheaper rotors? You could re-use the pads but it is not a good idea.

FNK
10-05-2011, 04:53 PM
If the rotor warped, it's either because it was too thin and couldn't cope with all the heat (warped because of excessive heat), or thoses where cheap rotor made of the improper grade of steel (If I'm not mistaken, the right grade is 4130... but you wont get that information from dealers).
Surfacing them will be pointless and they will warp again, only sooner.

Buy new rotors, as for the pads, I would reuse them unless they are unevenly worn or damaged.

Edit : After looking on ASTM, I could only find that they are made of grey-iron, but the document was old and I'm sure no longer true.

CCA4
10-06-2011, 05:19 AM
Might sound silly, but I warped a brand new set of rotors on my old truck by washing my car right after I got done driving. I sprayed the hot ass rotors with cold water and thats all it took. So don't do that lol.

As for having your rotors turned, be very careful with that. In order to do it properly, the shop needs to use a lathe designed specifically for this purpose. It removes material from both faces of the rotor at the same time. Lots of shops just toss them up on a regular lathe and do one side at a time, and they'll never get it right. And it seems like a waste of pads, but I would probably use new ones. How many miles would you say you've put on this set?

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-06-2011, 09:19 AM
In most cases rotors really do not warp.

The pulsation you feel in the brake pedal is due to inconsistencies of pad material built up across the face of the rotor. This usually comes from improper bedding.

Simply having the rotors turned usually cures this. You'll want to re-bed the pads to the new surface afterwords. Depending on how warn your current pads are you might be able to reuse them.

Jason

Corrado_Guy
10-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Personally I do not turn rotors, I use them with one set of pads and when the pads get worn both are replaced with new. It is really hard to turn the rotors on some cars and get them right, I know Nissan had to use a machine that connected to the car and they had to turn the rotors when they were mounted on vehicle to stop the vibrations. This is a little different through because pulsing brakes doesn't seem like it is a real problem with these cars so you have to look at the parts used and see if they were good quality. If this is an automatic and you live in an area with lots of hills meaning you are using the brakes a lot you may see more of this.

clouds_aflame
10-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks for all the info! I don't drive the car too hard, as it's my daily driver, and doesn't have insane amounts of power. I don't brake particularly hard either, so it was kind of surprise to me, to have pulsing in less than a year. I think there is close to 20 000KM on these (12.5K miles).

The pads still have lots of life on them, so I think I will try and re-bed them, and use them again, as Jason recommended.

I'm still undecided as the wether to buy new rotors or simply turn these, but I'll do some more research and weigh the costs.

And, of course, maybe I'll just have to buy everything new again, but get better quality rotors. Joy!