PDA

View Full Version : Trans Problem?

CubsFan20
10-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Hey guys,

I have a 2001 A4 1.8T automatic and recently i have been having problems with rpms reving high. I have to ease from a stop into first then it revs high and slams into second and then revs high again and slams into third. After each shift i have to make sure that i ease off the gas and ease back up to speed. What could the problem be? Thanks much.

Jordan

FNK
10-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Do you have a CEL?
So the gear change like it's on WOT, max RPM not max power all the time?

Your accelerator position sensor might be bad (since it's a Drive by wire)... but this make little sense. Is your transmission slipping?

CubsFan20
10-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Do you have a CEL?

Your accelerator position sensor might be bad (since it's a Drive by wire)... but this make little sense. Is your transmission slipping?wot
If I went WOT it would rev rpms to about 4-5k then just slam into the next gear. No CEL and I feel like it is puting out force but nothing happens. Like I said I have to ease into gears and let off once it changes and ease back up again

teamdaraptor
10-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Honestly my first guess was transmission fluid. Seeing that when I test drove the car before purchase it didnt have this issue, but suddenly it arrives. I have a very similar problem in my jeep (though not all the time) first gear winds up pretty high (sometimes higher than normal) then slams into second and from second on out its fine. It only does it on the up-shift, not downshift. Jordan does it do it in down-shifting too? Going from second > first? I think we can change your trans fluid pretty easily (once we get the tool) and get back home. My worry is that I don't want you to fuck shit up and be in the same boat I was in.. [headbang]

teamdaraptor
10-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Do you have a CEL?

Your accelerator position sensor might be bad (since it's a Drive by wire)... but this make little sense. Is your transmission slipping?

I don't want to speak for him, but I don't think he has a CEL. We've talked about the trans slipping, but seems odd that it just suddenly occurs. Car has only been in his possession for <6mo. Like I said, when I test drove it, nothing was wrong. No blips in the trans, no power issues, no grinds, squeeks, squeals, nothing.

walky_talky20
10-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Check TCU for codes with vag-com, regardless of CEL. If it is slamming into gear, it will have set a code.

Does the Tiptronic mode shift properly?

It seems like it could be a sensor issue. As if the TCU does not know vehicle speed or RPM or something. It can also be in a sort of limp mode. If it thinks the trans fluid is drastically overheated, it can cause very abrupt shifts as well. Connecting to the TCU is the first step here. See what the codes are, make sure the TCU is showing the correct throttle input, etc. I've seen where the TCU's throttle input value gets out of calibration, thinking you are way further into the throttle than you actually are. This causes extremely rough shifts at the wrong shift points.

CubsFan20
10-05-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't want to speak for him, but I don't think he has a CEL. We've talked about the trans slipping, but seems odd that it just suddenly occurs. Car has only been in his possession for <6mo. Like I said, when I test drove it, nothing was wrong. No blips in the trans, no power issues, no grinds, squeeks, squeals, nothing.
mike, there is no CEL light on. When I go to the shop ill have them look at the trans fluid and if that's the problem ill take it to a shop at home this weekend and get it done. I don't want to wait till thanksgiving to fix tis because its really f***ing annoying

the_pirate
10-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Listen to walky, he knows his automatics [up]