PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering, Barely Boosting

xdewaynex
10-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Ok so I had this trouble before, and a few mentioned it might have been the knock sensor, due to the fact my car slammed the ground really hard one night on my way home. The car just suddenly started stuttering, like it was running on 2 or 3 cylinders, hardly boosting. On my way home from work, road is smooth, no bumps, the car does it again, only this time, it doesnt clear up until I pull in the drive way, pop the hood, and move my tip. I looked and didnt see anything, thinking the tip might have come off the turbo, causing the maf to read crazy. I did notice that my a/f gauge was going crazy, even though its a narrowband...I know [headbang]. The check engine light, it stays on, due to no cat, but I did notice it flashed on and off a few times. Sadly I dont have vag-com either. Was just hoping someone might have some feedback, maybe clean the maf?

I<3S4
10-05-2011, 05:36 AM
coilpack or maf would be my guess

AudiTurbo
10-05-2011, 06:58 AM
I had the same problem for a while and it was usually my TIP. I would make sure it's on tight and then check the MAF or coilpacks

twinpop171
10-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Flashing CEL is usually bad coil packs.

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Scan the car with a hand held scanner. Or take it to a local auto parts store to have the car scanned. A misfire will throw a CEL so it will definitely pop up especially if it has been flashing.

Jason

xdewaynex
10-05-2011, 10:46 AM
I just got in from relocating my catch can to the driver side area, thought it was messing with the intake pipe when I drained it. Went to Auto Zone and had a friend of mine who works there scan it. Got a misfire on cyl 1, code of evap/leak detection pump (where I deleted vacuum lines) and for no cat. The thing about it, the car started up just fine earlier, and ran fine down to the store and back. Does a misfire just come and go? I was expecting it to be there at all times until it was fixed.

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-05-2011, 10:54 AM
It can definitely be random. Might just be a spark plug too. Check the gaps, if they look like they could be replaced might as well do it. I run Iridium's in my car gapped at .40 it runs super smooth, and they last much longer than your conventional copper plug. I prefer Iridium's over platinum all day. We have them available below.

Click HERE to order or for more information. (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Maintenance/Engine/Ignition/ES8034/?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postreply)
http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/7467_x600.jpg (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Maintenance/Engine/Ignition/ES8034/?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postreply)
Jason

xdewaynex
10-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Well I just replaced the plugs about 3wks ago with copper BKR7E's with a .026 gap. Have ran them since I installed the FrankenTurbo back in March. At first I tried the Iridiums and everyone on here, including my tuner, told me not to, as they were easy to blow out in boost, so I changed them over to NGK's.

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Ahhh I didn't notice you were running a frankenturbo. You would be correct the gap is too large to at .40 and I'm not sure you can make the gap any smaller either with iridium's since the electrode is so tiny its possible to break it.

You also have to remember with copper plugs they tend to crap out pretty quickly, they are very inexpensive too so I'd start with putting in a new plug first and see what happens.

If the misfire comes back look into the coil pack/connector boot.

Jason

xdewaynex
10-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Just a quick update. Since I had it scanned at Autozone, and checked the price for new coils and they were over $50 a piece, I decided to take that money and purchase the updated coil pack harness and switch to some 2.0 coils. Since the switch last weekend, Ive put around 100miles or so and not a single problem. Doing this swap will save money in the long run as I will now be paying anywhere from $18-25 per coil instead of $50+.

murdered APR a4
10-13-2011, 12:10 PM
DIY on the 2.0 coils?

xdewaynex
10-13-2011, 01:37 PM
DIY on the 2.0 coils?

Got it right here. You had actually posted in it.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/452487-My-AEB-to-ATW-Harness-Conversion-with-2.0-GTI-ULEV-Coils

xdewaynex
11-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Well I replaced the plugs this past weekend from .040 to .038 and still having a hiccup in the throttle, but boost is fine. I was reading a few threads in the B6 section on the same problem, and someone suggested running a ground wire directly from the negative battery terminal to the coil pack grounds. Im going to do this tomorrow as well as have it scanned for possible misfires. Hopefully doing the direct ground from the battery will take care of the problem. Its starting to get really irritating.

xdewaynex
11-10-2011, 07:56 AM
I went out this morning and ran 2 new runs from the negative battery terminal to the back of the valve cover with one previous ground, then to the front of the valve cover where the coil harness grounds to originally. I went to Auto Zone to have it scanned, and no misfire codes. It seems to be running better, but Im going to have a friend run Vag-Com sometime this weekend just to make sure of everything.

Seerlah
11-10-2011, 08:24 AM
You still have a CEL for no cat? Why not use a spacer on your secondary o2 sensor bung? Then you would just need to deal with the evap code? Then, you will be CEL free. Or it does not bother you too much?

xdewaynex
11-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Yea, I still have the CEL for the cat delete and evap code. It doesnt bother me too much, Ive gotten use to it. When I get the car retuned, Im going to see about having them both written out of the tune.

xdewaynex
11-12-2011, 06:07 AM
Its came down to the fact, its a tuning issue. There were no fault codes for misfire with vag-com. When I had my cars tune adjusted after I got things together, it was decently hot out, and fuel was adjusted a little rich to compensate for the FrankenTurbo, as Im running a K04 tune for now. Since its turned cold, and we all know turbo cars love the colder air, it seems to be sending a bit more fuel to mix with the colder air, which in turn, the extra added fuel isnt getting burnt and soaking the plugs, causing a slight miss. Im giving C2 a call Monday morning to schedule an appointment to have everything adjusted.