PDA

View Full Version : 98 2.8 quattro SHAKES WHEN PRESSING BRAKE AT CERTAIN HIGER SPEEDS!!! HELP!!!

bomber495
10-04-2011, 04:15 PM
My 98 2.8 quattro has been shaking at higher speeds when I normally press on the brake. Once it slows down enough it stops shaking. Its only at certain different speeds it does this. When my car was jacked up last I checked the front drivers side wheel by trying to jiggle it and it did have some play in one of the joints. Does that mean this joint is shot and needs to be replaced? The other side did not have this same play in the same joint when wiggled. Please help me guys! My car seems to be falling apart between this and the overheating/coolant leak problem I posted before this! AHHHHHH

nam3
10-04-2011, 04:26 PM
if you can see play when you wiggle it around, its shot. Fix it before your wheel breaks off and causes more damage.

csosnowski
10-04-2011, 05:12 PM
could be control arms, wheel bearing or warped rotor.

when you say joint, do you mean lower balljoint? which one, the one to the front or to the rear of the upright?

cory.smith
10-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Relax, be cool. Buy an outer tie rod end and change it out. It's a $25 part? Find someone local who knows what they're doing. Buy them a pizza and ask them to help. Pay attention to what they do, and ask questions.

-Cory

bomber495
10-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Im not too sure I will have to go look at it real fast to explain which one it is. I will look and even try and take a pic in a few minutes...

walky_talky20
10-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Relax, be cool. Buy an outer tie rod end and change it out. It's a $25 part? Find someone local who knows what they're doing. Buy them a pizza and ask them to help. Pay attention to what they do, and ask questions.

-Cory

I like this answer a lot. It includes reassurance, advice, an estimate, a suggested plan of action, general life instruction, and pizza, all with a positive and optimistic world outlook without being condescending in any way. All that in under 50 words. I vote this for post of the day....Not sure if we have that. In any case, nicely done Cory.

Jordan80
10-05-2011, 11:11 AM
I had a similar issue with out the jiggly joints, it was warped rotors and they give some serious shake. I'd do brakes too if you havent in a while and have the cash

bomber495
10-10-2011, 01:11 PM
rotors and pads changed on the front 4 months ago... not warped pads

CamrideA4
10-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Did you ever take a pic of the control arms? If you can do that and point out which one has play in it. Make sure you check both sides.

NoLag28VAG
10-11-2011, 03:07 AM
Had this same problem. I found it was rotor warp due to an intermit caliper sticking issue. The line for the caliper got damaged the last time I changed the rotors (2 months ago).

Justin@FCP
10-11-2011, 06:41 AM
I like this answer a lot. It includes reassurance, advice, an estimate, a suggested plan of action, general life instruction, and pizza, all with a positive and optimistic world outlook without being condescending in any way. All that in under 50 words. I vote this for post of the day....Not sure if we have that. In any case, nicely done Cory.

I second that vote! [:D]

could be control arms, wheel bearing or warped rotor.

when you say joint, do you mean lower balljoint? which one, the one to the front or to the rear of the upright?

There are a number of things that it could possibly be...control arms, outer tie rod, or caliper. I've personally had the intermit caliper sticking issue that caused shaking on my '98 also. Thake a good look at all of your control arms, and TRE. They aren't a bad thing to change out depending how many miles you have on the car, or if you enjoy a smooth riding front end! [:D]
[wrench]

cory.smith
10-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Thank you gentlemen for your vote of confidence in my abilities to communicate effectively.

I suppose that gets this little gem off my record, eh govnah?

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/439847-My-door-is-jammed!!!

-Cory

-:vw:-
10-11-2011, 06:37 PM

Not completely true here, I see no mention of beer... Any way I had this symptom when the front passenger side caliper on my Corrado and my passenger side rear on my Avant were bound up due to corrosion in the guide pin boots. Just throwing it out there.

walky_talky20
10-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Thank you gentlemen for your vote of confidence in my abilities to communicate effectively.

I suppose that gets this little gem off my record, eh govnah?

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/439847-My-door-is-jammed!!!

-Cory

^Well, the jury is still out on that one. We are taking everything into consideration. Currently backlogged with other cases, so it may take a while.

Hibiscus jam was priceless, though. So that is in your favor.

cory.smith
10-12-2011, 05:33 AM
Not completely true here, I see no mention of beer...

I kinda got the feeling we were assisting a minor on this issue, hence the pizza and no beer. Now me? Yeah, it's beer. Always.