PDA

View Full Version : Little help on picking out a Timing Belt Kit...

Armenian
10-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Hey all,

So i have about 82k on my 2001 audi a4 1.8t later model.

I am planning on buying TB kit online and having the shop do the job. I came across these two sites where they are available, i wanted you all's input on which one i should go with.. I really like ECS, i have ordered many parts from there before but never with Blueparts..

I am looking at these 2 deals same price..

ECS http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-FWD-1.8T/Search/Timing_Belt/ES5953/

Bluepart http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GH21105-A

Seems like the Bluepart one comes with more stuff like the seals and the instruction video ect..

which one would you all recommend as far as good quality and reliable stuff?

also,( if the instructions are good and looks easy i might do this myself thats another reason why i like the dvd instructions sent to me) I will rent the tool also just to make things easier

Thanks all

TJN0923
10-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Not sure about Blueparts, but i've heard nothing but good things about ECS and their timing belt kit. I'd play it safe with them.

CCA4
10-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Blauparts is quality stuff, I've purchased two timing kits from them. Plus the instructions are awesome. Gonna be picking another kit up from them in about 2 weeks with any luck.

walky_talky20
10-04-2011, 04:28 PM
I haven't heard anything bad about Blauparts, however if it were me and I was choosing between those 2 kits, I'd go with ECS. Reason being that they tell you what you are getting in terms of parts manufacturers. Personally, I use Contitech belts exclusively. For the Water Pump, I always use HEPU, but GRAF is a close second.

I might call Blauparts to confirm what I was getting. I'd be a little upset if I ended up with a Dayco belt and Meyle water pump. Not the stuff I'd want on my engine.

*2 cents*

Armenian
10-04-2011, 07:19 PM
thanks for the response, I guess it is better to get the ECS stuff and pay extra for the cam and crank seals and other stuff and know that they are quality stuff.

hey , CCA4 was this your first time doing a TB job and that video was easy to follow? i am not a mechanic but i would assume its not the hardest job ever.... i have changed a few things on audi before just need that extra help with video and instructions i guess.

any additional stuff you would suggest while doing this job, like as far as other belts and tentioners while engine is exposed? i sort of want to change every necessary part while its open

Thanks all

rubberband
10-04-2011, 07:40 PM
My kit is at ecs is 269 though and I quote "Water pump with gasket & o-rings (Techno Polymer Impeller)"
I dunno, kinda sounds like a fancy word for plastic to me:) hoping someone finds out the brands of the belts soon...from blauparts.
if they are the conti belts with the free shipping, it sounds like a better deal to me...

Armenian
10-04-2011, 07:47 PM
I was actually just now looking at that exact one, the one which is $259 and $269, seems to be same thing minus the G12 coolant (also the updated tentioner). I really want to get the metal impeller since everyone is suggesting that.

I will call blueparts tomorrow and ask them about the brand names for their parts and will post it up here.

I wish there was a place where a perfect package was put together for me with all necessary parts and metal impeller.

Armenian
10-05-2011, 08:20 AM
So i just called Blauparts and they cant even tell me the manufactures name for the products, they say its not available? lol I guess ECS it is.

Justin@FCP
10-05-2011, 08:49 AM
As another option, here are the 2 TB kits we offer for your 2001 Audi A4 1.8t, which kit you get depends on your VIN #:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/fcp-product-photography-us/public/assets/products/37174/product/AWMTBKIT1.jpg?1304598958 (http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-timing-belt-kit-a4-a4-quattro-1-8-turbo-awm-awmtbkit1)
This kit only fits models thru chassis 042384 (the last 6 digits of your vin)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/fcp-product-photography-us/public/assets/products/37173/product/AWMTBKIT2.jpg?1304539257 (http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-timing-belt-kit-a4-a4-quattro-1-8-turbo-awm-awmtbkit1-1)
This kit only fits models after chassis 042385 (the last 6 digits of your vin)
(Click on the pic to follow the link.)

Can't beat the price of these kits, and wicked fast shipping. I just had a TB kit installed in my B5.5 Passat with 180k from FCP, and the tech that installed it was wicked impressed!

Best thing to do is call us at 877-634-0063. That way you can discuss the different TB kits we offer for your A4, also what special offers and discounts we can offer you.

CCA4
10-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Thats an awesome price for what you get Justin, thanks for the link! The main reason I went with the kit from Blauparts was the tool rental they offer. Has anyone done a swap WITHOUT all the pullers and alignment tools and crap they rent? If its not a tough job without the tools you may have just changed my mind. Also never done a TB on a 1.8T so I dunno how much that has to do with it.

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Not sure exactly what pullers and alignment tools you need but from my understanding there isnt any required for the 1.8T for just a basic timing belt and water pump job.

Check out this DIY below

Click HERE (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng35.shtml)

Also our kits come with a water pump which has a metal impeller to virtually eliminate any possibility of the impeller failing for unsurpassed reliability.

http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/195623_x600.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

Corrado_Guy
10-05-2011, 12:16 PM
I am not aware of any special tools needed to do this job, I have done it on the Audi 1.8T and the transversely mounted 1.8T in the VW cars and never used anything other than hand tools and have never had a problem to date.

thegoodhumorman
10-05-2011, 12:25 PM
If you can hold off until closer to Christmas, I picked up a BLAUPARTS TB kit for almost 40% off. I don't know if they would have that special going on this year. I know they did two years ago.

Armenian
10-07-2011, 03:23 PM
I can probably hold off till then but BLAUPARTS TB KIT doesnt even specify the brand name and stuff, i am looking to buy something quality do you think they have good stuff?

this might be off topic but i have a 2003 a4 1.8t which had a leak and was overheating got it to exxon and had a tube replaced but now they are saying another pvc tube needs to be replaced also and thats why its still slightly overheating and my thermostat doesnt work properly (i changed it a year ago if that).. do you all think i should be ok driving it out 17miles or so to get it home and work on it myself?

Jason, I am pretty sure i am going to be in need of TWO TB kits for 01 and 03 A4's ...do you think you can work with me and get me a good deal on it so i can buy them asap?

Thanks

walky_talky20
10-07-2011, 03:59 PM
So i just called Blauparts and they cant even tell me the manufactures name for the products, they say its not available? lol I guess ECS it is.

lol @ "not available"...that's hysterical. As if they don't have the parts sitting on the shelf. I, for one, am not into buying a "mystery bag" of parts for something so critical. So that's enough to lose my business.

PhillyOne
10-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Had my ECS full timing belt kit installed last saturday on my 99.5 a4 1.8t. quality parts and quick shipping

Armenian
10-08-2011, 01:08 PM
walky_talky20 i agree with you 100 %. ECS is the way to go !

Mad Cow
10-08-2011, 02:35 PM
+1 on ECS kits, I had to pay extra for the tools to do my 30v but it was well worth it.

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Jason, I am pretty sure i am going to be in need of TWO TB kits for 01 and 03 A4's ...do you think you can work with me and get me a good deal on it so i can buy them asap?

Thanks

Both kits come with free shipping so unfortunately there's not much I can do with those as we try to price our products as competitive as possible so everyone can take advantage of the same savings.

Never hurts to ask though!

Jason

CamrideA4
10-10-2011, 07:46 AM
I put in the ECS kit on my 2001 almost 2 years ago (about 25k miles on it now) and it's been flawless. Definitely a good buy.