PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever get a read clunking sound from the pass Side rear?

J Ozzie
10-04-2011, 01:40 AM
Anyone ever get a rear clunking sound from the pass Side rear?
Every time i go over a bump, or a crack in the road i get a lil clunking sound and i cant pin point it! Its driving me nuts! [headbang]

Edit: Eff! damn phone! I said rear not READ!!

dumpedb5
10-04-2011, 04:25 AM
Blown shock or control arm.

vietxnam
10-04-2011, 06:19 AM
Recheck your rear upper shock bolt. Mine was loose and I wasn't getting that clunk.

CCA4
10-04-2011, 06:25 AM
The upper shock mounts in my old A4 were junk and caused this exact same symptom. They're cheap but you have to pull the shock/spring to change them, which can be a bit of a pain in the dick if you've never done it before.

BlackLock_A4
10-04-2011, 01:05 PM
I think I have the same thing. It has been getting worse over time, but here is what threw me off - I just redid all my suspension & made sure everything was torqued down. There is nothing lose in the trunk... Only thing I can think of is some part of the seat belt might be knocking around inside.

J Ozzie
10-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Yeah and i had the suspension out as well few months ago when i installed St's...

Could it be anything to do with brakes? When i apply the brakes its like the sound goes away

frameshift18
10-04-2011, 05:07 PM
I have the same problem ever since I installed my ST's. Not sure what it could be.. [confused]

vietxnam
10-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Yeah and i had the suspension out as well few months ago when i installed St's...

Could it be anything to do with brakes? When i apply the brakes its like the sound goes away

Mine was the same way. When brakes applied it would stop. Check that upper shock bolt. I checked and double checked any sure enough somehow the bolt wasn't tighten enough.

J Ozzie
10-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Yeah i think im gonna do that once i put the winters on... I just cant pin point it and its annoying when you have the music off.

LDetter
10-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Welcome to owning ST Coilovers. There are multiple people with this problem and no one can pin point what it is. Mine do it as well. I am happy with the way they ride and how they have held up over the last 2 years but the clunk is annoying. I just put the windows down or turn the radio up.

buffalony
10-05-2011, 09:05 AM
I just did the barkes on my b6 s4 and am having the same problem includuing not hearing the clunk when i am on the brakes, it has been to two shops and still cant figure it out...this phantom clunk makes me want to punch a baby....

vietxnam
10-05-2011, 09:06 AM
The only other thing I can think of is the ebrake cable. Look under the vehicle and grab the ebrake cable and shake it.

J Ozzie
10-05-2011, 10:32 AM
this phantom clunk makes me want to punch a baby....
Bazinga!!

Welcome to owning ST Coilovers. There are multiple people with this problem and no one can pin point what it is. Mine do it as well. I am happy with the way they ride and how they have held up over the last 2 years but the clunk is annoying. I just put the windows down or turn the radio up.
EFF! Well i guess ill put the settings back to that annoying bitch on the navigation to kill the quiet times with no music when driving!

The only other thing I can think of is the ebrake cable. Look under the vehicle and grab the ebrake cable and shake it.

Will check that!

Oh and since we are talking about St's what can i put on the sleves to protect them this winter. We get Rain, Snow, Sleet, Ice which means SALTTTT

LDetter
10-06-2011, 09:18 AM
I have never put anything on mine since I've owned them. They have been through 2 winters now. We get all of that stuff as well and I haven't had a problem yet. I've heard people say to put anti-seize on them so they wont rust, but the perches are made of plastic, last time I checked plastic and metal won't rust together lol. I do need to take a wire brush to them in the spring to loosen up some the crap on them over the winter but after doing that they turn pretty easy.

Seerlah
10-06-2011, 09:25 AM
I didn't like the way my threads looked after the first winter with my coilovers. I cleaned them off this last spring (after winter season) and placed on some type of grease that was recomended to me by a forum member. Then I learned of a better product, will be wiping off the grease that is currently on there, and start using this new stuff.

http://boeshield.com/

Gumby
10-06-2011, 10:10 AM
^i'm pretty sure that's the same stuff that was supplied with my H&R's i put on my allroad.

J Ozzie
10-06-2011, 02:45 PM
I didn't like the way my threads looked after the first winter with my coilovers. I cleaned them off this last spring (after winter season) and placed on some type of grease that was recomended to me by a forum member. Then I learned of a better product, will be wiping off the grease that is currently on there, and start using this new stuff.

http://boeshield.com/

Thanks buddie! Will be using this then. Im going to be doing a lot of Boarding this year!

mysman
10-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Spread the rear brake pads apart and see if the rear calipers are rattling on the mounting pins. If so, take them off and pack the pin/mounting holes with some anti-seize.

FNK
10-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Have you looked at the rear diff bushings and mount?

BlackLock_A4
10-07-2011, 09:05 AM

It's not the STs. I had the clunking before I installed mine. I will def check the ebrake cable. Did that work out for you OP?

J Ozzie
10-08-2011, 01:40 AM
It's not the STs. I had the clunking before I installed mine. I will def check the ebrake cable. Did that work out for you OP?

I'm starting to thing its the guide pin bolts? They were Seized which was an hour job just to free up. They wouldn't slide in and out...