PDA

View Full Version : It feels good to get maintenance done

CamrideA4
10-03-2011, 05:02 PM
I've put off replacing little things for a while and I'm finally getting around to fixing them all. I bought a new auto-dim mirror (Gentex, I was not paying ~$300 for a new OEM), new side mirror, new center console lid (ouch), new used cupholder, new oil dip stick and a few other things I can think of. Now the only thing really holding my interior back from looking good is a rip in my drivers seat. But even with that I feel so much better getting in the car now. I want to replace the front seats with sports, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money on that. We'll see.

What have you replaced lately that made the car feel new to you again?

ferrariyellow44
10-03-2011, 05:09 PM
It would be nice to replace the POS center arm rest on my B7...it squeaks, rattles and crunches so much I dont even use it anymore!

SS92
10-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Hmmm... Metal Clutch slave cylinder, swapped to rotella T6, Exhuast manifold gasket, fuel filter (total debacle :( )... Have a fresh set of rotors from AR and new brakes to put on in a few months when my currents are worn out, as well as an exhaust manifold that is calling my name. Waiting to buy a new oil/cooling line kit from psi motorsports before I put in my exhaust mani, my current is cracked and my lines are ghetto rigged from PO. Need to fix my CTS and coolant flange when the parts come this week. Cant wait. :)

ThatA4T
10-03-2011, 05:13 PM
everything haha

coolgraymemo
10-03-2011, 05:50 PM
I want to do my front control arms.

Seerlah
10-03-2011, 07:01 PM
What have you replaced lately that made the car feel new to you again?

-Left rear caliper (did SS lines at same time and another full flush)
-Lower control arms (just recieved uppers last week in the mail)
-Tie rod ends
-oil dip stick tube (had a ghetto rigged heater hose for mine for a while now)

Need to do:
-fix my front bumper (includes replacing a fog light)
-fix my license plate lights (going to see if a nice harness massage will do the trick tomorow, before ordering new ones)
-power steering fluid flush (will do this next time I take off my front bumper, which should be soon)
-BMW check valve on 044 pump
-install kill switch
-add more tranny fluid (had a small leak since the day I bought the car)
-scented spray for my vents (I really hope there is nothing dead in there)
-stop buying other stuff and get the rest of the parts for my BT kit
-going to try out German Castrol Syntec 0w30 this winter...maybe

CCA4
10-04-2011, 06:27 AM
Finally got my funk switch wired up and the center arm rest re-covered. Also started covering the door cards. Little stuff makes all the difference sometimes!! [up]

walky_talky20
10-04-2011, 06:42 AM
I've got so much crap to do to my car it's retarded. So I've decided to fix me up an entire backup car so I can take my A4 off the road and do *everything* to it: suspension, turbo, exhaust, interior crap, stereo, everything.

Problem being that I've chosen a lousy backup car that needs quite a bit of work. An 200k mile B3 was probably not the best choice for this, lol. Should have just got a Camry, but I just can't force myself to drive something so boring and so FWD.

AudiNFS
10-04-2011, 07:14 AM
I have to do control arms, do a coolant flush, figure out where my CEL is coming from in the evap. system, fix my ABS light somehow, maybe new pads and rotors, and rear wheel bearings.

flynnr
10-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Hmmm... Metal Clutch slave cylinder, swapped to rotella T6, Exhuast manifold gasket, fuel filter (total debacle :( )... Have a fresh set of rotors from AR and new brakes to put on in a few months when my currents are worn out, as well as an exhaust manifold that is calling my name. Waiting to buy a new oil/cooling line kit from psi motorsports before I put in my exhaust mani, my current is cracked and my lines are ghetto rigged from PO. Need to fix my CTS and coolant flange when the parts come this week. Cant wait. :)

to the metal sc - what is the benefit?

to the fuel filter - what do you mean by the :( etc

flynnr
10-04-2011, 07:18 AM
I want to replace the front seats with sports, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money on that. We'll see.

best mod i have done... sport fronts with regular rears ftw!!! SO comfy even on long trips, or days POUNDING on the car... the bolsters are 1000x better than the stockers

CCA4
10-04-2011, 07:32 AM

the fuel filter can be a bit of a pain in the ass on a quattro because they tucked it up next to the gas tank. You gotta loosen the tank straps and wedge something in above it to make room to yank it out. Plus its held in by a triple square bolt but there's no room to get a ratchet up there to loosen it. some people use a socket and a ratcheting wrench, i just cut the plastic strap lol. Also wouldn't recommend doing it with a full tank of gas, i almost dropped a nut trying to push the tank back up against the car to tighten the straps.

SS92
10-04-2011, 07:41 AM

I bent my fuel lines when I tightened the banjo bolts after I cut the strap [facepalm]. It pretty much sucks. They're bent back, but I gotta replace them eventually. Bummer.

The metal slave was because my slave blew, or so I thought it did, you can check my thread I made a few days ago. Long story short the slave blew the line out because the clip came out but I already ordered the metal one, so I figured what the hell and put it in anyways. Clutch has a better feel to it, after I got it bled. Feels good, man.

I have control arms just sitting in my room waiting to be put on, but the pinch bolt... just no, its a chicago car with orig control arms. If I had someone to help me with more tools than I had, I'd do myself in a day, but being in college without access to a garage and your uncles tools and manpower sucks. Gotta pay a shop Tree-Fiddy.

CamrideA4
10-04-2011, 08:38 AM
the fuel filter can be a bit of a pain in the ass on a quattro because they tucked it up next to the gas tank. You gotta loosen the tank straps and wedge something in above it to make room to yank it out. Plus its held in by a triple square bolt but there's no room to get a ratchet up there to loosen it. some people use a socket and a ratcheting wrench, i just cut the plastic strap lol. Also wouldn't recommend doing it with a full tank of gas, i almost dropped a nut trying to push the tank back up against the car to tighten the straps.

Yep, I cut mine too, didn't even have to zip tie it in place. There was enough tension after pushing it back up that it's not going to move. That was such a PITA.

I have control arms just sitting in my room waiting to be put on, but the pinch bolt... just no, its a chicago car with orig control arms. If I had someone to help me with more tools than I had, I'd do myself in a day, but being in college without access to a garage and your uncles tools and manpower sucks. Gotta pay a shop Tree-Fiddy.

Definitely make sure you have someone to help, mine were a PITA as well. I had to drill out one pinch bolt, I was able to hammer the other one out. It took me two weekends to do, one weekend for each side. My car originally came from PA but it's been in the south for the last 6 years so it's not as bad as a pure northern car would be.

Seerlah
10-04-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm not quite sure when I will do my uppers. I noticed a slight tear on one of the uppers, but it does not seem to be causing an issue at the moment to warrant panic installation. One pinch bolt I can get out, because I had to removed a couple years back for other work. Then I made sure to re-antiseize it periodically (did this again maybe a month ago). The other one is in there rather stubborn. And oh yeah, Febi pinch bolts FTW. They have a coating on them that helps in prolonging it before it sizes. Costs like $2 on Rock Auto.

flynnr
10-04-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm not quite sure when I will do my uppers. I noticed a slight tear on one of the uppers, but it does not seem to be causing an issue at the moment to warrant panic installation. One pinch bolt I can get out, because I had to removed a couple years back for other work. Then I made sure to re-antiseize it periodically (did this again maybe a month ago). The other one is in there rather stubborn. And oh yeah, Febi pinch bolts FTW. They have a coating on them that helps in prolonging it before it sizes. Costs like $2 on Rock Auto.

i bet it still doesnt come out that easily :)

Seerlah
10-04-2011, 09:45 AM
But it does. A couple soft taps with a hammer got mine out couple months ago, when I re-antisiezed them while I was doing my lower CAs (I live in the tri-state area). But the thing that really makes the difference is the anti-seize. And applying more at least once a year. As much as most of us work on our vehicle, it isn't that much of a task when you have the opportunity (ie simple taking off a wheel gives you this opportunity).

PhillyOne
10-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Well saturday i had a lot of stuff done:

-Full ECS timing belt kit (Waterpump, Thermo., all belts etc etc)
-Oil Cooler
-Valve Cover Gasket
-Cam chain gasket
-Oil change (Rotella T6)
-Coolant flush/ change

A fresh ecs tuning plate frame.

Now all she needs is a Coolant temp. Sensor and Front left control arm(just found out, all other control arms replaced within 30k miles), and it will be set.

flynnr
10-04-2011, 12:20 PM
last week i did my new transmission and fixed my cruise control module... yay

Seerlah
10-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Cuurently trying to fix my license plate assemblies so I don't need to order new ones (they flicker at times; not trying to get a ticket for something so silly). I am thinking some electronics parts cleaner on the connector/harness, then finding the sweet spot (if that does not work) and zip tie-ing them in that position somehow.

BzeB5A4
10-04-2011, 12:46 PM
last week i did my new transmission and fixed my cruise control module... yay

Fix cruise control...Details Please?

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-04-2011, 01:12 PM
My car needs:

Pass. side wheel bearing
Exterior door handles on 3 of 4 doors :/
Lower molding could use a refresh
Arm rest.
Cup holder
Plastic cover that goes around the fog light on the pass. side.

I'm almost due for another timing belt too.

That's about it!

Jason

walky_talky20
10-04-2011, 01:36 PM
^At least you've got the "hook up", Jason.

I often wonder what it would be like to drive a car without a "list", lol.

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-04-2011, 01:46 PM

Even though I can use my employee discount, I'd still rather not spend my paychecks repairing my car! Haha!

Jason

flynnr
10-04-2011, 02:24 PM

there is no such thing... a car can always be faster, handle better, be lighter, look cleaner, etc...

thats why i love this never ending game :P

dbarbau89
10-05-2011, 08:53 AM
need:

Valve Cover Gasket
CCT and Gasket
Breather overhaul
Fuel Filter
Radio Not working
Rip in driver seat

Seerlah
10-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Placed a couple squirts of Ozium in the vents yesterday, and it sure does smell refreshing.

Watson
10-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Need: Clutch

....Want.....now thats a list
Gt2x CHRA
2.0t muffler
Decent resonator
Injectors
Maestro
Doulbe Din Conversion
Black leather S4 seats
Respray
Lower door mouldings
And possibly some Porsche calipers

flynnr
10-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Fix cruise control...Details Please?

super easy - 20 min job start to finish

1) open glove box and remove your owners manual, napkins, interior wipes, cd's, your weed stash, and anything else you keep in there
2) you will see little roller wheels (circled in red in the top picture below) on each side of the glove box... they are each attached to an arm that is spring loaded. press back on the back of the arm to lift the wheel up and over the little hump that normally stops the glove box from opening further.
3) get an 8mm socket, with a 6" extension, and 1/4" drive ratchet
4) get on your back on the floor of the passenger seat, and look up, you will see a metal box about 4" x 2" x 2" attached by an 8mm bolt. unbolt this, and then unclip the brown wiring harness, and slide the metal box out (should look like the one in the 2nd picture below)
5) open up the box by bending back the 4 tabs with a flat head screw driver butter knife, then slide out the circuit board
6) plug in your solder pen and let it heat up while drinking a PBR,
7) you will see 3 red boxes on the top of the circuit board, these are the reason your CC is not working. (3rd pic down, circled)
8) flip over the circuit board, and resolder the 6 points circled in the 4th picture down (these are the back side of the 3 red boxes i told you about in step 7, there are 2 points per box)
9) dont be afraid of messing something up, i had no experience with any of this (including soldering) beforehand, and mine works flawlessly now. if you dont have a solder pen (i didnt either) go to wal mart and buy one (i found one for $5.88)
10) let it cool down, and then reassemble exactly how you disassembled it (except in reverse order obviously)

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii155/flynnr1/0e4d9513.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii155/flynnr1/d7fea5ea.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii155/flynnr1/f2ff9577.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii155/flynnr1/0408ad09.jpg

If you didnt follow that very well, here is a link to a thread i posted a while back when i did it on my other car (worked great both times)

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/344130-cruise-control-problem-fixed!-find-out-how-within?highlight=cruise+control

CamrideA4
10-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Need: Clutch

....Want.....now thats a list
Gt2x CHRA
2.0t muffler
Decent resonator
Injectors
Maestro
Doulbe Din Conversion
Black leather S4 seats
Respray
Lower door mouldings
And possibly some Porsche calipers

Yes, the want list is always a long one. [:D] I don't even want to type mine out.

nuke0791
10-05-2011, 03:00 PM
i replaced my blown turbo with a frankenturbo, fixed my power locks, fixed my domelights that stayed on with the doors shut, fixed my trim falling off, inthe process of fixing my pcv hoses, replaced 2 of my blown speakers, got myamp working again. still a few things left to do

FNK
10-05-2011, 03:19 PM
There always something new to fix and it get harder and harder every times... my car is teaching me as my knowledge grow?! [:D]

flynnr
10-05-2011, 03:28 PM
i replaced my blown turbo with a frankenturbo, fixed my power locks, fixed my domelights that stayed on with the doors shut, fixed my trim falling off, inthe process of fixing my pcv hoses, replaced 2 of my blown speakers, got myamp working again. still a few things left to do

how do you like the frankenturbo? what tune etc are you using?

CamrideA4
10-06-2011, 10:45 AM
how do you like the frankenturbo? what tune etc are you using?

I'll reply since he hasn't, the FT is awesome. Tunes are still not perfect but mine is coming along nicely with Malone. If you don't want to spend the money on a BT setup this is a great option. I think it makes for a great DD as it's quick but not so fast that you're breaking parts all the time (which is important on our older cars).

Seerlah
10-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Fixed my droopy front bumper yesterday. And I found out why they don't always line up to the bumper (well, in my case anyways). The guide on my bumper (only one slot for each side, the one closest to the wheels) had the inside worn off a little. That was just enough for it to not sit perfectly even. But I played with it for a little bit, and was able to make it sit flush (well, from what I think is flush).

next up: inspection/emissions testing (expires next month)

nuke0791
10-06-2011, 01:13 PM
I'll reply since he hasn't, the FT is awesome. Tunes are still not perfect but mine is coming along nicely with Malone. If you don't want to spend the money on a BT setup this is a great option. I think it makes for a great DD as it's quick but not so fast that you're breaking parts all the time (which is important on our older cars).

this. im still running the apr tune for the k03 but hopefully getting around to new software soon