PDA

View Full Version : how to remove aeb cylinder head

redline380
10-03-2011, 10:01 AM
i really hate to make a thread about this but im kinda in a time crunch. i found an aeb head for my motor build an hour away and im gonna go pick it up tomorrow. only problem is its still on the car and i gotta take it off. basically i just need to know what tools to bring or anything special. my main concern is what tool i need to remove the head bolts. if theres anything else id need to know let me have it.

forgot to mention im also wondering how to clean the head and my oil pan up. im thingking about soaking them in diesel over night. any thoughts?

S4NIK8
10-03-2011, 11:40 AM
There is a special tool for the head bolts, otherwise the tools I can think of off the top of my head would be a 10mm socket, 5mm allen socket, ratchet and an extension (4-6") those should get the intake manifold off and the coolant flange on the back of the head. I believe the exhaust manifold bolts are 12mm, it depends on how much is left attached to the head. PM me about cleaning the head and oil pan, you're local to me.

redline380
10-03-2011, 11:50 AM
^ ill pm you when i get it home
whats the special tool? on the motor i bought it was a polydrive but from what i can understand i need a triple square (10 mm i think) for an aeb engine. and its gotta be a pretty long one right?

S4NIK8
10-03-2011, 12:03 PM
I don't remember which one it is (I believe it's the polydrive), I'm sure someone locally has one you could borrow. Yes, it needs to be fairly long

Seerlah
10-03-2011, 12:23 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/190393-DIY-B5-B6-A4-1.8T-Head-Removal-and-Install

S4NIK8
10-03-2011, 01:46 PM
If this head is coming off of the car I think it is then most of the disassembly has already been done, the motor might even be out of the car already but I'm not sure.

redline380
10-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the help. The motors still in the car I'm getting the head from. I just got back from the store with a 10mm triple square and an extension to weld onto it. I can figure out the rest

cory.smith
10-03-2011, 02:00 PM
When using the triple square, a word of advice. Make sure that the head of the bolts are cleaned out. Otherwise the driver won't seat all the way, and you run the risk of chewing up the points on your tool or worse, the bolts. Just my experience.

And weld that extension on there square as possible. Once again, that's just from experience. The access to the bolt isn't that large.

Give a shot of brake cleaner or something similar down the holes to de-gunk. If you need the polydriver, send me an e-mail and I'll loan them to you.

-Cory

crsf29@gmail.com

cory.smith
10-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Oh, and this should help....

http://db.tt/TLPHhZji

-Cory