PDA

View Full Version : Big Brake Noob questions

SmokeTheRear
10-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Whats up guys i want to piece together a big brake kit on my 00 a4 1.8. Primarly just for the looks. Never slam on my brakes regardless. I know the boxster S or Boxster calipars matted onto the A8 rotors is the usual path most people follow. I was curious on 944 calipars as they are 4 piston as well and cost 1/2 what Boxster pieces do but on the down side are less eye appealing i believe. I was wondering if anyone has used the 944 turbo calipers on there cars or has seen pics of them on B5s. I read the single piston from the boxster are cheap but there small. And how big are A8 rotors?

biketsai
10-02-2011, 10:02 PM
They make these caliper covers, I think they will suit your needs.

http://image.automotive.com/f/images/22619724+pheader/m5lp_0908_02_z+brake_caliper_covers+brake_disc.jpg

All jokes aside, I believe a lot of people go with the Cayenne or Toureg Brakes.

SmokeTheRear
10-02-2011, 10:08 PM
i figured this thread would turn into a caliper cover one :/ im just tired of having my car on the floor with mesh rims 18s with tiny rotors and calipers it throws the look off.

biketsai
10-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Just search for the Cayenne brake conversion

speedydragon
10-02-2011, 11:26 PM
hope you have some time, because this will be a long and informative read :) http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/314943-Touareg-Brake-Calipers-(same-as-Cayenne)

Seerlah
10-03-2011, 06:07 AM
Function>Form

There are a lot of mixed reviews about the Porsche upgrade, because it throws off the brake bias/balance. I would assume that is why so much R&D goes into kits specified for a particular vehicle. I myself just upgraded to A8 Rotors up front with TT carriers. Then put Hawk HPS pads up front, SS brake lines, and Motul 5.1 fluid (also placed Hawk HPS pads on the rear). It def has a greater bite than stock (or most likely whatever you have now). I used to have Mintex Red Box pads front and rear with ATE rotors, and my current setup is much better than that. Only had those on for roughly 10k before I swapped to my current setup, and am quite happy with it. My next brake upgrade will be a front BBK that was actually designed for our vehicle. Just my .02.

CCA4
10-03-2011, 07:07 AM
I'm running the A8/TT upgrade as well, but with slotted rotors and EBC Redstuff. Very happy with it. Not sure if that'll be something you're interested in because you do keep the stock A4 calipers, but the larger rotors definitely improve the visual appeal. However, for the money, its a very good upgrade IMO, especially if you just want to fill in the wheel a little more. I just can't feature spending $1k on brakes. lol @ those caliper covers. Silly mustang owners [rolleyes]

034Motorsport
10-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Boxster calipers work great, but they aren't powder coated so you'll need to take em apart, powder coat, and rebuild with new seals, etc. They are 4 piston. We sell Apikol brackets to use them with the A8 312mm rotors.

Boxster S calipers work even better, have larger pistons, and come powdercoated from the factory. We sell Apikol brackets for those as well, and typically folks run the B5 S4 321mm rotors. Good to note that S4 rotors are 5mm wider then the A8 rotors, which is a lot more heat capacity.

944 calipers use the same caliper spacing as Boxster and such, but I haven't the faintest idea what rotor you would need and what adapter. Not worth the trouble when there is a guaranteed solution already available. If looks are your only concern (safety should be one of them!!!!) then powder coating the normal Boxster calipers is probably your best bet.

BzeB5A4
10-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Function>Form

There are a lot of mixed reviews about the Porsche upgrade, because it throws off the brake bias/balance. I would assume that is why so much R&D goes into kits specified for a particular vehicle. I myself just upgraded to A8 Rotors up front with TT carriers. Then put Hawk HPS pads up front, SS brake lines, and Motul 5.1 fluid (also placed Hawk HPS pads on the rear). It def has a greater bite than stock (or most likely whatever you have now). I used to have Mintex Red Box pads front and rear with ATE rotors, and my current setup is much better than that. Only had those on for roughly 10k before I swapped to my current setup, and am quite happy with it. My next brake upgrade will be a front BBK that was actually designed for our vehicle. Just my .02.

Did you piece together the A8 Brake Upgrade or buy a kit from somewhere? Trying to do this in the most cost effective way..

Seerlah
10-04-2011, 10:23 AM
There was a guy parting his car next town over, and he let me have it for $120 since I helped him take it off (ECS kit: slotted front rotors, TT carriers, and Hawk HPS pads with like 5-10k on them). Picked up the SS lines from a freind on here who moved to a B7, so no need for them (Goodridge rears and StopTech fronts). Can't recall what he sold them to me for. Picked up the Hawk HPS pads for the rear on ebay for cheap, and I always find the Motul 5.1 fluid for cheap (last time was a shop closing down, and just getting rid of it's inventory on ebay. Picked up like 4-5 bottles from them). All in all, I did it for rather cheap.

CCA4
10-04-2011, 10:51 AM
I pieced mine together from ECS, and craigs list, did the whole thing for about $300.

walky_talky20
10-04-2011, 11:52 AM
I did the A8/TT upgrade as well. I couldn't believe the price for even an aftermarket new TT carrier, so I bought 2 TT calipers from a junkyard with carriers. They won't sell the carriers separately. Better than $100 each for Schwaben carriers, though.

Carriers - $100 shipped
ATE Premium Elliptical Cut Rotors: $75 each
Pads: Almost new OEM pads came free with calipers.

Stopping power was immediately noticeable. One of the best upgrades I've done. My stock brakes were old and busted anyway, but I didn't realize how awful bad were. Car stops like "woah" now. Pads are very dusty so I'll be trying something different at some point. Probably some Hawks or something.

Seerlah
10-04-2011, 12:39 PM
^Hawk HPS pads have a really nice bite to them, but you pay for it with the brake dust. Then I discovered the joy of Amor All wheel protectant[drive].

walky_talky20
10-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I haven't looked into it much. I definitely want something with less dust. Right now it's a little ridiculous.

CCA4
10-04-2011, 04:24 PM
My EBC RedStuff pads are pretty low on dust, but they also sqeak occasionally.

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Shoot me a PM I'd be happy to help you put a kit together for your needs! [up]

Jason