PDA

View Full Version : 96 2.8l Misfire in cylinder 3 and 5!

murphy_boy_2
10-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Yes, I did do a search but the majority of the misfire issues that came up were for 1.8t...

I've dealt a good deal with the coilpacks in the 1.8t's and those are usually directly related to misfires, specially when the engine is tuned but I'm not very familiar with misfire type issues in the early 12v 2.8l's.

A friend of mine is having issues with her A4 2.8l... I told her I'd try and help her out if she went somewhere and had the codes pulled, which she did. She got misfire codes for cylinders 3 and 5 and another code for random misfires. No, of course she didnt write down the exact codes but I'm sure you guys will get the drift of what I'm talking about. Now when I had my 01 1.8t I had a similar issue and it just ended up being a bad coil in cylinder 2 for me. But I'm not sure if that is the same case with the 2.8l. I did a quick search and it looks like the older 2.8l's don't use individual coil packs like the 1.8t's.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone else has had similar issues with this and if it may just be the coil packs. It looks like I can get the coil pack from ecstuning for about $145... Does anyone think it could be something completely different?

Thanks
Jeff

murphy_boy_2
10-02-2011, 04:12 PM
So I've been doing a little more research and from what I've found it is most likely the ignition coil, ignition wires or bad spark plugs.