PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Timer Ignition Source?

jaychen
10-01-2011, 10:03 PM
I have seen all the DIY's and they don't answer my question.

Since almost all of them don't have pictures that are still up anymore its hard to tell what they are actually referring to (im in australia as well so RHD) .

I took the liberty of using a multimeter to find my 12v constant and I just tapped into the ignition source that I used for my PODI boost gauge but it obviously has a relay in the line or something?

The turbo timer is wired in and stays on (working as it should after the car is turned off) but it doesn't actually keep the car running after the key is removed..

Does anybody have photos of the correct ignition line to tap into for this?

jaychen
10-02-2011, 03:12 AM
Anyone?

M-Hood
10-02-2011, 07:49 AM
You might have to power up all of the ignition wires at the key switch to keep the car running. I know I had to do that with many of the cars that I used to install remote starters into.

Do any of the DIY's say what color the ignition wires are that need to be tapped into?

jaychen
10-02-2011, 08:04 AM
They say VAG? cable near the knee bolster .. I would assume they mean the VAG-COM cable port , but mine is behind my hand brake ..? Or is the VAG cable not the same cable I am talking about.

M-Hood
10-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Do you have links to the DIY's? Because I dont see the point of connecting at the OBDII port for an ignition wire seeing that the port has very thin wires.

jaychen
10-02-2011, 04:51 PM
http://audi-diy.blogspot.com/2007/10/audi-a4-b5-greddy-iii-turbo-timer.html

It just says VAG connector?!

biketsai
10-02-2011, 05:55 PM
I don't know how your car is setup, but I was able to use one of the cables coming from th OBD2 port.

jaychen
10-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Hmmm wierd..

How my car is setup ? As in where my OBDII port is?

It is placed behind the handbrake (e-brake).

I have run BOTH ignition lines to the same to the same ignition port.. Think this might have something to do with it? I will run one to a different source and see if that works.

M-Hood
10-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Hmmm wierd..

How my car is setup ? As in where my OBDII port is?

It is placed behind the handbrake (e-brake).

I have run BOTH ignition lines to the same to the same ignition port.. Think this might have something to do with it? I will run one to a different source and see if that works.

If the turbo timer has 2 different wires for the ignition wire then yes you need to connect them to 2 different wires on the car.

walky_talky20
10-03-2011, 09:52 AM
The turbo timer's job is to take constant battery power (ie: "30" circuit) and close an internal relay inside the timer to power up the entirety of the ignition line (ie: "15" circuit). Thus, it is creating an "alternate path" that bypasses the physical ignition switch, but does the same task (getting battery power to the 15 circuit). As you can imagine, there is a bit of draw on this circuit. This is why I think the DIY that is floating around that advises to use the OBD2 port ignition wire is both incorrect and almost foolish. Yes it works. But it also taxes the living crap out that little wire. The DIY also does not endorse using proper circuit protection where necessary. I try my best to make sure my electrical modifications are not capable of causing any pesky dashboard fires. But that's just me.

End Rant?

To answer your question, I would suggest tapping into the heavy ignition wires at the ignition switch harness, or slightly downstream at the fuse box. Key word being "heavy". Key word also being "fuses". Use them.

M-Hood
10-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I am suprised the turbo timers dont suggest using a relay for eacy of the wires since there is going to be a good amount of draw going thru the turbo timer.

walky_talky20
10-03-2011, 02:38 PM
The TT has an internal relay, probably rated up to 30 Amps or so. The issue with using an external relay could be the turn-on delay. The TT has to be pretty quick at noticing the 15 circuit going down and then re-energizing it swiftly enough that the ECU and such aren't affected. Running through 2 relays (internal and external) might create some instability.

But it might be nice to do it anyway. With the internal relay being a wear item (the contacts), when it goes bad you don't just replace a relay, you have to replace the entire timer (or open it up to repair). Lightening the load would increase the life of the contacts.