PDA

View Full Version : Bose speakers blown?????

jones3000
04-14-2005, 10:46 AM
If there's one area of expertise I lack in, it's in stereo equipment.
Just yesterday, my left rear deck speaker started making a "fart" noise. I don't think the speaker is blown though because if I turn the bass down, you can hear out of them just fine. I remember reading on here where someone just re-glued a part that tore off. A new speaker even with me workin for the dealer will run me around $135. I can get it used for about $55.

But like I said, it doesn't sound like their blown. Is there some kind of quick fix? Or are they really blown and I should just replace them? I know how tempermental the bose system is and how incompatible it is with aftermarket speakers. Anyone with personal experience wanna chime in on this one?

kconnor72
04-14-2005, 11:06 AM
I have a similiar situation going on with my fronts...I am going to take it into the dealer this weekend since it is still under warranty.

If you are getting distortion at moderate listening levels with the bass at moderate levels then you are most likely dealing with a blown speaker.

Our systems are definitely tempermental, but should not distort. You can isolate to make sure it is just that speaker. If you do notice that the others are fine, then like said earlier...the bad boy is blown.

good luck...

justin21
04-14-2005, 11:14 AM
yeah bose is nice but its a pain in the ass to mess with cuz each speaker uses a seperate amplifier for them.

jones3000
04-14-2005, 11:33 AM
just found this on AW:

replaced my rear speakers today

I got Image Dynamics CX62 component speakers to replace my blown bose speakers. They are the only 2 Ohm speakers I could find in 6.5". They sound pretty good, a lot better than the blown bose. install took no time at all. much cheaper than replacing with bose speakers from audi.

AudiPower
04-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Yup it's blown. Had the same problem with mine some weeks back and the dealer had quoted me the same price. Luckily, Some kid i know totalled his A4 and had both speakers.

The rear deck speakers are a bitch b/c each come equipped w/ their own amp. You cannot go and purchase them from a crutchfield to replace. The ingenius Audi Corp. did it this way to make $$, anyhow if you can get em for $55 purchase both [save one as a back up] and run.

I was informed by numerous service techs that the Bose symphony system is one of the hardest to intergrate aftermarket products. Initially, i thought I could have a mini-ghetto banger with two rear subs and an amp. The customer service rep ok-ed it telling me that they'd fit with the previous Bose system. Got them, started to install and called the service techs for addtional help b/c to install rear deck speakers you have to remove 2/3 of your rear seat as well as the moulding by the back window, as well as the rear interior brake light. Anyhow, after an hour long conversation I was told I was duped by the salesman and to return what I purchased.

Was informed that I would have to get a crossover and equilizer to accomodate the new speakers and still would not use the subs that I purchased to it's full potential.

Don't get me wrong anything is possible [with enough time and $$]. Proper integration could be done, but I have been informed by many professionals that it would be very costly to do properly.

To cut it short, either your going to get an entirely new system, or replace the one speaker cheaply. I'm a baller on a budget, so you see what I opted for. Hope it that helped. If you have any further questions, holla.

jones3000
04-14-2005, 01:57 PM
thanks. The quote was actually $55 for one but they would do $100 if I ordered 2. If anyone's interested they have tons in stock.

shokan.com (http://www.shokan.com)

Meddie600RR
04-14-2005, 02:40 PM
I blew my two back speakers too. I just went in for my last service under warranty and they didn't have any in stock, so they ordered me some and I have to go back to get them installed. I wish I could go aftermarket and get some subs/amps, and keep the stock head unit. Im sure you could, but it would be a hassle. We'll see what happens.

jones3000
04-18-2005, 05:02 PM
PROBLEM FIXED!!!!!!!! (for free) So I rolled up my sleeves and decided to take the deck apart to examine the faulty speaker. After about 15 minutes I figured it out and it was off. It turns out the small bubble in the middle of the speaker had popped off, causing the gargle and fart noise. kind of like putting a piece of paper between your lips. So with a bit of crazy glue, I popped it back on- good as new. And saved myself $150+ install.[:D] [up] Hope this helps some of you guys out.

4ingDrive
04-18-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by AudiPower
I was informed by numerous service techs that the Bose symphony system is one of the hardest to intergrate aftermarket products.

Don't get me wrong anything is possible [with enough time and $$]. Proper integration could be done, but I have been informed by many professionals that it would be very costly to do properly.

Just to let you know the stock system is actually one of the easiest to integrate into. There are a lot harder systems than these.

jones3000
04-19-2005, 05:27 AM
^^^^not true.

4ingDrive
04-19-2005, 06:30 AM
I thought you didn't know much about audio now you're an expert? I've integrated thousands of systems over the last 16 years... and yes it's true.

jones3000
04-19-2005, 07:31 PM
no personal expertise, but techs at my dealership say the same thing about the bose system being difficult to integrate.

4ingDrive
04-19-2005, 08:19 PM
Some Bose systems are difficult to integrate, ours isn't by comparison. Other Bose systems require adaptors that can be quite pricey. Back to Audipower's comments that I was commenting on, there really is no difference between the Symphony and the Concert as far as integration. There are also other vehicles that are harder to replace speakers in. They get much harder than the A4 and S4. If anyone tells you it's difficult or costly to deal with upgrading the stock system then they don't know enough about it. If anyones interested I can even send you a wiring diagram of the stock system showing how simple it really is. Try dealing with one of the new DSP BMW systems and you'll soon realize how basic ours is.

Bigblk4
04-19-2005, 09:42 PM
It is easy to intergrate an amp and sub off the stock head unit. I have done it, then went with an aftermarket deck and speakers. It takes an RCA lead out (I have 3 of them here at my place) that splices into the harness. Its not bad at all if you want just a bit more thump in the trunk. Hardest to intergrate was a 740 L with its dang fiber optic cables.