PDA

View Full Version : Need Help: Coolant issue

HighDesertAudi
04-13-2005, 09:12 PM
I just got my car 3 weeks ago and i knew it had a coolant leak, looked like it was coming from the turbo. I didnt do anything about it cause it was just a small leak. Went out driving last night got to about 130 than the govenor kicked in, couple minutes later the Low coolant light came on. This morning there was a big puddle of coolant, then i drove it up the street and the light came on again and the car seemed slugish like the turbo wasnt working. filled it up with coolant and it seems fine again.
Did i screw up the turbo? or is it just a leak?

PDRaudi
04-13-2005, 11:56 PM
130 . . . wtf
where u driving where theres only one state ranger for this huge nat'l park. you know the one on that micheal moore video that hates on bush.

rbt
04-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Mechanically, at least, the turbo and your cooling system are not directly interconnected. The turbo is cooled by your motor oil.

Indirectly, though, losing coolant is *bad*and leads to all kinds of mayhem....block temps go up, so your motor oil temps shoot up as well; coolant temp. sensor, with nothing to gauge, probably causes your ECU to screw up your mixture, etc.
get that leak fixed!!

HighDesertAudi
04-14-2005, 09:44 AM
No i dont live in the middle of nowhere like on farenheit 911, Its a high Desert elevation is like 4000 somethin, alot of rich A$$holes from califronia move here to retire. Trust me theres more than one cop here.

Back on topic My coolant temp never went above normal and oil temp only got to about 230 degrees. Looks like im taking it to the mechanic today.

quickglx
04-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by rbt
Mechanically, at least, the turbo and your cooling system are not directly interconnected. The turbo is cooled by your motor oil.

Indirectly, though, losing coolant is *bad*and leads to all kinds of mayhem....block temps go up, so your motor oil temps shoot up as well; coolant temp. sensor, with nothing to gauge, probably causes your ECU to screw up your mixture, etc.
get that leak fixed!!

Wrong. The A4 has an water-cooled turbo. The light comes on when the resevoir empties, but it would take a considerable amount to leave the CTS dry... Get your leak fixed man, G12 coolant ain't cheap. You are using G12 coolant aren't you?

rbt
04-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by quickglx
Wrong. The A4 has an water-cooled turbo. The light comes on when the resevoir empties, but it would take a considerable amount to leave the CTS dry... Get your leak fixed man, G12 coolant ain't cheap. You are using G12 coolant aren't you?

I stand corrected, now that I think about it, it has a loop from the rad. system; and, oil provides add'l cooling (on top of lubrication duties).

If the car is out of warranty try using a Dexcool-approved coolant ( e.g. Havoline Dexcool) as a subsitute for da G12. it's only missing the pink dye that 'magically' doubles the price of G12 from what it should be.

HighDesertAudi
04-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Yea cost me $25 for the Audi approved G12 Plus, thanks for the hint about using the dexcool. Anyone ever have a similar problem with the coolant leaking from the turbo. im having a mechanic look at it tomarow, i hope its just the line or it looks like im gettin k04d sooner than i planned.

bitterchild
04-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Well it's either the top or bottom line coming out of the center cartridge. Probably just a bad seal. Original turbo?

HighDesertAudi
04-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Finaly got around to preasure testing it today and it appears that the leak is coming from right behind the engine block above the tranny. did some searching and found that is where the coolant sensor is, but my sensor has been normal. Can it cause a leak or what else back their can leak?

wheel366
08-14-2005, 12:56 PM
I drove home from Northern VA last night averaging 100mph. When I got home I just parked the car for 30 minutes. My father moved it right after that and probably 15 minutes later I left. When I got out of the driveway the low coolant light came on and I drove right back up my driveway, then the light went off. I looked and both the engine temp and oil temp were where they normally are. I looked at my driveway and had 2 big puddles of coolant. When I opened the resevior, there was no pressure and the tank was empty. I filled the tank today and it's still the same level, but I haven't driven it.

Any ideas? I'm calling the dealer tomorrow to take it in. Hope it's covered under my extended warranty.

HighDesertAudi
08-14-2005, 07:13 PM
My leak turned out to be a cracked coolant manifold. It only cost about $20 from the dealer, and was very easy to install. Its the plastic part right behind the engine that holds the coolant temp. sensor.

Id check to see the general are its leaking from, my leak was directly behind the engine and leaked allover the back.