PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Front Suspension Pics

ECA4
04-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Recently my front suspension has been creaking and making this squeking noise. The noise usually only happens when the car is driving at lower speeds or when I turn the wheel when i'm parked or stopped. I lifted the car today to check and see if it was the control arms or boots, but I didn't seem to see anything. I took a few pictures to see if anyone could give me an idea of what they think might be wrong.

Drivers Side:
http://mpg.cc/audifrntsuspn/drivers-side-1_large.jpg
http://mpg.cc/audifrntsuspn/drivers-side-2_large.jpg

Passengers Side:
http://mpg.cc/audifrntsuspn/passenger-side-2_large.jpg
http://mpg.cc/audifrntsuspn/passenger-side-3_large.jpg

Does anyone see anything wrong or know what the noise could be coming from?

TIA

bigshrimpin
04-13-2005, 08:38 PM
why can't i see any of the images?

Zodiak
04-13-2005, 08:44 PM
how many miles on the control arms, and tierod ends? does it creek when you bounce the car?

bOOOOstedAudi
04-13-2005, 09:16 PM
looks like your on stock shock. they may be going if not its deff you tierods

SeKKeY
04-13-2005, 09:31 PM
i have the same problem. somthing must be going

ECA4
04-14-2005, 05:25 AM
The control arms and tie rods are still stock so they have 56,000 miles on them.

No I have an H&R Cup kit which I just installed only about 4,000 miles ago so I know it's not the shocks.

Could it be something that just needs to be greased like one of the conecting screws? Judging from the pics it really looks perfectly fine under there.

Wholsea
04-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Sounds like your tie rods and control arms are on their way out...

Dealership has a recall on the lower arms and may replace them under warranty...

If not, then get ready for a $500 parts bill for new control arms. (None of those fittings are greasable...)

ECA4
04-14-2005, 05:54 AM
Oh sh*t ok, i'm not under warrenty any more but shouldn't they still fix it?

Audi A4 1.8T
04-14-2005, 06:39 AM
nope.

Hassmeister
04-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Two Words: CONTROL ARMS.

Same thing has happened to me. I have replaced 5 out of 8 and will do the last 3 next month( the 5 were worn).

I wished I would have bought the complete kit ($600) from ECS Tuning and do the whole thing rather than pieced it together.
[:(]

Your pics don't really help us diagnose it. Where they go bad is where the Rubber Bushing is at the attachment/connection point. Mine were very evident... hairline cracks in the rubber bushings. Take a close look or take it in and have a shop diagnose it for you.

Good luck.[wrench]

ECA4
04-14-2005, 09:01 AM
Ok thanks, did you do the control arms yourself? If so was it an easy fix? I heard all it is is taking out screws and swapping the arms.

Wholsea
04-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Hassmeister
Two Words: CONTROL ARMS.

Same thing has happened to me. I have replaced 5 out of 8 and will do the last 3 next month( the 5 were worn).

I wished I would have bought the complete kit ($600) from ECS Tuning and do the whole thing rather than pieced it together.
[:(]

Your pics don't really help us diagnose it. Where they go bad is where the Rubber Bushing is at the attachment/connection point. Mine were very evident... hairline cracks in the rubber bushings. Take a close look or take it in and have a shop diagnose it for you.

Good luck.[wrench]

PAP-Parts has two kits, a "super" kit and a "Junior" kit.

The super kit has all the rquired hardware included and is around $579 + shipping (Uppers/Lowers/Tie Rod ends), the Jr. kit has just the arms for $459

http://www.pap-parts.com/products.asp?dept=2419

Hassmeister
04-14-2005, 11:19 AM
I had the "JE Front Lower Control Arm SERVICE ACTION" done and while the dealer was replacing those 2 they had a coupon for $$$ off (and I know the Manager personally) and used that toward the replacement of the others and I purchased the PARTS myself through sources here: ECS Tuning and German Auto Parts.

The dealer charges 3 times the price of elsewhere for OEM parts!!!

"DAFT" has a great write up on doing it yourself. Do a search and you will find it in here.

Questions on the Service Action phone AOA: 800-822-2834.

Hope this all helps!

Hassmeister
04-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Wholsea
PAP-Parts has two kits, a "super" kit and a "Junior" kit.

The super kit has all the rquired hardware included and is around $579 + shipping (Uppers/Lowers/Tie Rod ends), the Jr. kit has just the arms for $459

http://www.pap-parts.com/products.asp?dept=2419

Nice find!!![up]

ECA4
04-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Thanks alot, i'm going to go to my mechanic and see what exactlly is wrong and then just go from there.

ECA4
04-14-2005, 12:49 PM
One more quesition, what is that stuff called that helps getting rusted screws loose? I heard thats the only hassel with swapping the arms

Hassmeister
04-14-2005, 01:18 PM
There are numerous ones out...

• CRC 5-56
• GUNK Liquid Wrench

ECA4
04-14-2005, 01:28 PM
And those will just eat away at the rust and make it easier for the screws to come loose?

4BUCK
04-14-2005, 02:20 PM
PB-Blaster is also GREAT for removing stuborn nuts/bolts.

Did you torque all the bolts? When I did my suspension the first time I didn't have a torque wrench, and the passenger rear squeaked at low speeds too, I torqued everything eventually, found out it was a little too tight, and the noise went away.

When my front upper control arms went you could rock the wheel side to side when the car was in the air.

white fish
04-14-2005, 07:15 PM
with the wheel off the ground wiggle the wheel top and bottom (put one hand on top and one on the bottom and push and pull)and look at the rubber boot around the top control arms
I bet one wiggles

Hassmeister
04-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by ECA4
And those will just eat away at the rust and make it easier for the screws to come loose?

Both have helped free mine up to remove.

ICEBIRGSLIM
04-15-2005, 01:26 PM
My control arms are going also. i have this terrible rusty door creaking sound at low speeds and when i'm parking and especially during K turns. i'm under warranty and pray that they take care of this. i would really not like to use my chip money towards this crap.

On top of everything it's really embarrassing when someone is checking out your car when your walking up to it or leaving a parking space to have everyone in the area turn and look at who's car is making that funky creaking noise.

i love and hate my car sometimes......moreso on the love side but damn it can get expensive sometimes!

ECA4
04-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Haha thats the exact problem i'm having now, I feel like an idiot driving an audi that sounds like a rusty door. I just want to make sure it's the control arms and not the tie rods just in case. I'm almost at 60k miles so i'm going to have to do my tb within the next few weeks as well.

And yes maintaining an Audi isn't cheap by any means.

Wholsea
04-16-2005, 09:00 AM
You can replace the tie-rod ends in like 15 minutes a side, most of the time it takes is jacking the car up and getting the wheel off...

but it will be nearly impossible to find the single source, there are so many rubber bushings and ball joints its crazy...

5 rubber bushings, 5 ball joints on each side, all have a tendancy to creak and go bad...

Good luck!

ECA4
04-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Well i was just planning on doing it all at once because I figure eventually all of them are going to go bad