PDA

View Full Version : Misfire 1,2,3 and 4!

This Is Epic
09-16-2011, 02:38 PM
So I took my car to the shop due to horrible misfiring, the car would barely run.

Anyhow they said all 4 of my coil packs are shot, I was under the impression all 4 don't go at once. I realize it is possible but probable?

Also the car will drive fine briefly or for even 20 minutes then it shits itself and I cant get over 20mph due to horrible misfires. She said they took their coil packs and put them in and the car ran fine afterwards. However replacement for 4 coil packs they wanted to charge me around $550. Which is nuts. Obviously I will do it myself and don't mind buying 4 as they are cheap but I just want some clarification on all four going at once?

Stubek
09-16-2011, 02:45 PM
First time on my B6, one went bad. Second time three, third time two.

turbo_bootin
09-16-2011, 02:52 PM
So I took my car to the shop due to horrible misfiring, the car would barely run.

Anyhow they said all 4 of my coil packs are shot, I was under the impression all 4 don't go at once. I realize it is possible but probable?

Also the car will drive fine briefly or for even 20 minutes then it shits itself and I cant get over 20mph due to horrible misfires. She said they took their coil packs and put them in and the car ran fine afterwards. However replacement for 4 coil packs they wanted to charge me around $550. Which is nuts. Obviously I will do it myself and don't mind buying 4 as they are cheap but I just want some clarification on all four going at once?

Jesus! $550 for replacing 4 coilpacks? You should tell them where they can stick it!

nunya
09-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Jesus! $550 for replacing 4 coilpacks? You should tell them where they can stick it!

Check the ground on the harness and the wiring first. $550 for coilpacks is nutso. They are like $30 a piece.

--dillon

This Is Epic
09-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Wiring seems fine, ground is good as well. Dropped 4 brand new coils in. Car started up worse then with the old ones in and it still runs terrible.

Seerlah
09-17-2011, 01:02 PM
What going on man? CEL?

nam3
09-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Borrow someones ignition control module (on top the airbox), see if the misfires go away. If its still misfires, it could be a bad coil pack boot.

This Is Epic
09-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Not much. It's been awhile. Hope all is well! Yeah I have a CEL.

Well the shop said they put replacement coils in and the misfires went away. Perhaps I got bad replacements from the auto store? I would love to borrow someones but unfortunately I do not know anyone locally with an Audi.