PDA

View Full Version : turbo back?

audlman
04-13-2005, 01:58 PM
ok, first off i have a fwd 1.8t. i have a custom magnaflow exhaust that goes to the downpipe with 2.5in piping, but it does not have a new downpipe. i was considering having the stock downpipe taken off and having a 2.5in pipe going from the turbo to where they stopped just after the dp, and welding the pipes together. so pracically it would be a turbo-back. would this work out good? sound good or like crap? thanks.

HotSauce
04-13-2005, 02:05 PM
There's a cat between your downpipe and your turbo....To effectively do a turbo back, you'd need to make a test pipe, and some way to fix the CEL, or, get a highflow cat, and then a larger DP.

I think it'll probobly sound good. My exhaust has a 2.25" (Just reused stock flange) DP, and then 3" all the way back, with just a center resonator, and it seems to be comparitively quiet, when compared to Borla Neuspeed etc.

justin21
04-13-2005, 11:11 PM
mmm turbo back thats what i want like 2.5 inch straight pipe w/ racing cat or high flow cat

audlman
05-18-2005, 06:51 PM
ill look into it, i have a full exhaust, all but the dp and its making me mad, haha. my next plans are for a bigger turbo, fmic, etc. etc. and i dont want to do it on a stock dp.

b5v6
05-19-2005, 11:40 AM
keep me updated as I had similar intentions. I wanted to do a custom turbo back 2.5" exhaust, relocating the cat' to under the car.