PDA

View Full Version : prove me wrong and tell me its not my clutch

Poopie
04-13-2005, 08:06 AM
I would first like to appoligize for beating a dead horse. I know I've been posting and asking around about my clutch a lot in the last dayor two, but I want to make an apporiate title to get more views and help. I've been trying to figure out where this squeeling noise is. At first I thought it was the clutch, but people tell me it isn't after a test drive. The rpms do not jump when I gun it under load. The sound only seems to occur when the turbo is spooling hard under acceleration. Its coming from the right side or the center. I'm really hoping its not my clutch or my timing belt since they are cosly fixes but I don't know where to check. I barely hear the noise when I am driving normally shifting at 3k and easy on the gas.What could the squealing be? It is almost like metal to metal. If it is the turbo, I guess I'll have to go AWE stage 2 =).

They car still acclerates like a bat out of hell, but I can hear this squeal whenthe windows are up and the ac is off. BTW, I'm GIAC chipped.

marked001
04-13-2005, 08:21 AM
..is it an accessory belt slipping or something?

OutkastSL
04-13-2005, 08:26 AM
do you have an exhaust? which one?

Poopie
04-13-2005, 08:51 AM
stock exhaust. I know I have a loose heat shield. I've been looking at the timing belt and it looks a little glazed. When I get home from work I'll snap a couple of pics. I'll check out all the belts too. How many belts are there to look at? Could it be the AC compressor? I ask this because it seems I can only hear the noise when the ac is off, but I'm not sure if it is because I can't hear it when the fan on. The car only has 40k on it. Previous owner never beat on the clutch and I have only done a 2 hard launches.

OutkastSL
04-13-2005, 08:58 AM
hmmm...is this your first turbo'd car? i'm thinking you are hearing the turbo spooling and that you are thinking it's abnormal. sorry if this is a stupid reply, but just a thought.

nizmosx
04-13-2005, 09:07 AM
if its a whistle most likely its turbo spool, but if its a squeall he is hearing, its not the turbo and most likely not the clutch, you will know if your clutch is going out, you dont need a sound to help u figure that out. my guess would be that its your belts or one of them, i would spray some belt dressing on them and see if the squeel goes away, if it does that was the culprit, i would take it a step furhter and just replace those belts anyway. start with the cheap things first then work ur way up to the more costly ones. it doesnt hurt to change out parts lthat wear like that anyway. hope this helps

jent
04-13-2005, 09:13 AM
try giving all your belts a little belt dressing, easy and that will help if a belt is slipping.

Poopie
04-13-2005, 09:30 AM
Sounds good to me. I know it is not the turbo because I can heal the turbo whistle on top of the squeel. Is belt dressing something I can get at pep boys?

jones3000
04-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Could be a million things. YOu will not hear a Timing belt if it's going.

Poopie
04-13-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm just gonna take it to Audi. It just better not be my damn clutch. It doesn't feel as grippy off the line. Just another observation; when shifting up, it seems like the gears in the tranny are skipping almost as if i'm shifting without a clutch. My thoughts are that the clutch is not fully dis engaging even though the pedal is all the way down.

bitterchild
04-13-2005, 06:46 PM
How far are you from Baltimore? It's not your clutch or your timing belt. If it's really metal on metal, the most likely sources are the oil and water pumps and the compressor or exhaust wheels grinding in the housings. Usually you can't hear the turbo grinding until it grenades.

jent
04-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Poopie
Sounds good to me. I know it is not the turbo because I can heal the turbo whistle on top of the squeel. Is belt dressing something I can get at pep boys?
yes it is something you spray on the belts while the car is running....and btw I was not talking about your timing belt. If that is slipping you have bigger issues at hand

Poopie
04-14-2005, 01:55 AM
2.5 hours from baltimore.