PDA

View Full Version : C6 S6: Scared Of It

rs3
08-29-2011, 02:55 AM
Hey guys. First timer here. Decided to post something because I feel like I've been pushed into a corner.

For the last couple of months I've had my eye on a 2007 S4 with about 44K that a dealer had on CL. My plan has been to go into the market at the end of this year, and I just had my fingers crossed that the little black V8 beast would still be there. Unfortunately, today it's gone. I will call tomorrow to verify, but you can imagine my disappointment.

There's a lot of A4's available, but after having my heart set on the S4, I just feel like I'm settling. Hate the feeling. There is a 07 3.2 Quattro available that I think I would be okay owning in the interim... but it just so happened that on the day that the S4 disappered, an ad showed up for an 2007 S6. Owner sold and with 66K miles on it. Now an S6 just was something that never entered my mind since I never thought it to be in my stratosphere, but this one is 5000 cheaper than the dealer sold S4 I was looking at.

However as the title mentions, I'm scared of it. Should I seriously consider buying an S6? First off the extra 20K miles scares me. While the v8 gas guzzling s4 was something I came to terms with, the v10 which is a practically a freaking detuned version of a lamborghini scares me... I'm not sure if I'd feel guilty having all that displacement and power. I haven't really researched the S6 but the thought of repairs and service scare me. Tell me is there a difference between that and an S4? I liked the thought of a small car, because of the handling advantages and I've always loved being able to park almost anywhere having to work in the city... but the S6 looks huge to a guy who likes driving smaller cars.

I don't know, I found what I was in the market for, but now that it's gone I'll either be settling for something and regret letting the S4 get away, or I'll get something that I won't have regret owning but will be fearful about the potential cost of ownership long term. Now if I let this one get away, I might be kicking myself all over again. Anyway, I can't tell if a gifthorse is staring me in the face, or a siren is luring me to my doom.

S6 owners help! Should I run to the bank or should I just run away?

(Assuming of course the car is in good or excellent condition w/ no scary history)

Ivo_205
08-29-2011, 03:09 AM
So you mean an 07 S6, not a C7.

rs3
08-29-2011, 03:32 AM
Yes. Well somehow I guess C6 and 07 accidently merged into C7. fixed.

elescorpiong
08-29-2011, 04:29 AM
if i were u i will definetly jump on the s6, only with an extended warranty. you rarely see any newer s6 and i think that car is sexy as shitt... glwb

Ynnekdude
08-29-2011, 05:39 AM
I would definitely have a mechanic check out the car for you if you are interested. You should also test drive the car and see how you feel about the size. I personally think the A6/S6 feels like a smaller car and I have had no problems parking in downtown Chicago garages or spaces (A backup camera definitely helps).

One thing that would scare me about the S6 is carbon buildup in the FSI V10. If you do buy the car, set aside some money to do a carbon cleaning immediately. Otherwise, the V10 is pretty bulletproof. Don't expect it to run with M5s but it is still a quick car. The sound alone is a good reason to buy it.

In terms of mileage, I'll let S6 owners chime in about that. I know some have reported relatively decent highway mileage but it is a V10, don't expect anything impressive. I have a feeling the sound, amenities, and power will more than compensate for poor mileage.

I originally planned on purchasing a DTM manual B7 S4 and like yours, it sold a week or so prior to visiting the dealer. Bummed, I test drove some other cars and ended up with an A6, a car I am very happy with. Test drive the S6 and see what you think.

Bdubs
08-29-2011, 06:43 AM
I agree with ynnekdude in that, if you are truly interested in the car, you should have it inspected before you buy. Take it for a test drive, if you like it, pay the $100 (or whatever it costs local to you) to have a reputable dealer/indy do a pre-purchase inspection. Also, run the carfax/autocheck and ask the owner the full history of the car. And check into what it would cost for an extended warranty. Chances are, if you like the car, the difference in price between the S4 and the S6 could be spent on the warranty. I know the guy I bought my car from spent $4,000 on 3 years/36k miles of coverage.

And, I agree the A6/S6 doesn't feel overly large, but definitely feels a bit bigger than an A4. I liked the S4, but needed the added leg room in the back so I ended up with an 07 S6. I've had it since May...no issues so far. All I've done is an oil change and post-purchase inspection (car came with the Audi Pure Platinuum extended warranty) and all is good.

As for handling, unless you plan to track the car, the S6 is going to give you 99.9% of what you need in real world, daily driving. As for gas mileage, it's going to depend on how you drive it. I bought my car to drive/enjoy. Most of my time behind the wheel is either spent in sport mode, or using the paddle shifters, so I can get the full symphony out of the Milltek exhaust I have on my car. My guess is you'd see anywhere from 12-18 city and 18-22 highway, depending how hard you're driving. The 2000 Volvo V70 I replaced with the S6 was only getting 18 city so I've never felt bad with the mileage I'm seeing now considering the substantial difference in performance.

Also, if you go into buying the S6 thinking you're buying one of the fastest cars on the road, I'd rethink your car choice. It's definitely a fast car, but quick off the line it is not and there are plenty of cars in 2011/12 that will run with/beat the S6 0-60mph or through the quarter mile.

For me, the exterior/interior design/style and the V10 torque/exhaust note was all I needed to experience to make the decision to buy one.

As for the carbon cleaning, it is something you'll likely have to do at some point down the road but also could give you some negotiation room with the seller since you know it exists. My car has 50k miles on it and has exhibited no signs of carbon buildup (rough idle, hard start, to name a couple I've heard of) so I haven't done a cleaning yet. It's something I may do in the spring, but I'm really hoping a check engine light gets thrown before I have it done in the hopes my warranty will cover some/all of the cost.

SinCityA6
08-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Don't be afraid of the size of the car. As Yannekdude states, the A6/S6 feels much smaller that it size. As with any Audi, maintenance cost are always a consideration. Getting an S6 without an extended warrantee would give me pause. Test drive the car, do your research (starting here was a good thing) and make your decision. But don't wait too long because (as you have already experienced) clean "S" Audis don't stay for sale long.

rs3
08-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks. Great suggestions guys. Will definitely give it a test drive.

sgroer
08-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks. Great suggestions guys. Will definitely give it a test drive.

I just traded my 2007 S6 in Atlanta. the dimensions never bothered me - easy to drive, park etc. Actually a perfect size.

it's a blast to drive. You can't resist the launch becaus the torque at low RPMS is simply amazing. It was a great car during the time I owned it. I traded it for a 2012 A6 3.0T.

If there is anything specific you would like to ask, let me know.

GarrettReid
08-29-2011, 12:59 PM
v10's are a dying breed. Buy it before they become extinct.

rs3
08-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Man what a great community!

I especially liked this...

Otherwise, the V10 is pretty bulletproof.

I found the carbon cleaning diy thread interesting and it is worrisome, but i like what Bdubs said about using it as a negotiation tool. Besides some of the money saved from the S4 would help out too.

I guess I do have some questions on the extended warrantee. I've never really bothered with them before, since I've driven the same reliable car for over the past decade and replacement parts were cheap and plentiful. Do you take it to an audi dealer post-purchase to get one? Are there third parties? I believe I will most definitely be buying it though if this is the car I purchase. Just want to know the best way about doing this.

Bdubs & sgroer any pet peeves about the car? The response has been overwhelmingly positive and I'm coming around to the idea.

All the alleged negatives can't be nitpicked about because it's just inherent for a car like this. I really can't complain about gas mileage if the car I want has a V-10 or V-8. The whole size thing was a concern because it just so happened that yesterday, I was behind an A6, and it does seem a bit bigger than an S4. Obviously back row passengers would be happy with the extra leg room. What I'm curious about is the actual mileage on the car. 60000 miles seems kinda high. No worries here? Can I just buy extended warranttee and just relax?

Why do I want this car? This...

As for handling, unless you plan to track the car, the S6 is going to give you 99.9% of what you need in real world, daily driving. [] I bought my car to drive/enjoy. Most of my time behind the wheel is either spent in sport mode, or using the paddle shifters, so I can get the full symphony out of the Milltek exhaust I have on my car.

Also, if you go into buying the S6 thinking you're buying one of the fastest cars on the road, I'd rethink your car choice. It's definitely a fast car, but quick off the line it is not and there are plenty of cars in 2011/12 that will run with/beat the S6 0-60mph or through the quarter mile.

For me, the exterior/interior design/style and the V10 torque/exhaust note was all I needed to experience to make the decision to buy one.

If I have to sit in traffic for an hour, I want the comfort and interior luxury that Audi is second to none in, not to mention the gawking as you park in a sea of cars on the freeway.

Do not plan to race ricers on the freeway, but If I see an empty winding road, I want to attack it. Won't be a track car, but maybe take it to the track every once in blue moon.

Don't plan to tune it much. Maybe do some blackouts, exhaust. Want to feel the V10 rumble and hear the exhaust and push the grin factor up.

sgroer
08-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Man what a great community!

I especially liked this...

I found the carbon cleaning diy thread interesting and it is worrisome, but i like what Bdubs said about using it as a negotiation tool. Besides some of the money saved from the S4 would help out too.

I guess I do have some questions on the extended warrantee. I've never really bothered with them before, since I've driven the same reliable car for over the past decade and replacement parts were cheap and plentiful. Do you take it to an audi dealer post-purchase to get one? Are there third parties? I believe I will most definitely be buying it though if this is the car I purchase. Just want to know the best way about doing this.

Bdubs & sgroer any pet peeves about the car? The response has been overwhelmingly positive and I'm coming around to the idea.

All the alleged negatives can't be nitpicked about because it's just inherent for a car like this. I really can't complain about gas mileage if the car I want has a V-10 or V-8. The whole size thing was a concern because it just so happened that yesterday, I was behind an A6, and it does seem a bit bigger than an S4. Obviously back row passengers would be happy with the extra leg room. What I'm curious about is the actual mileage on the car. 60000 miles seems kinda high. No worries here? Can I just buy extended warranttee and just relax?

Why do I want this car? This...

If I have to sit in traffic for an hour, I want the comfort and interior luxury that Audi is second to none in, not to mention the gawking as you park in a sea of cars on the freeway.

Do not plan to race ricers on the freeway, but If I see an empty winding road, I want to attack it. Won't be a track car, but maybe take it to the track every once in blue moon.

Don't plan to tune it much. Maybe do some blackouts, exhaust. Want to feel the V10 rumble and hear the exhaust and push the grin factor up.

Pet peeves? Well, the technology leaves much to be desired - if it has AMI, then that helps. if not, search my thread out on AW about the xcarlink bluetooth streaming option. Works great.

The gas mileage wasn't as bad as my buddy's E55 - I got 15 MPG, mostly around town, and I wasn't easy on her. The suspension is extremely stiff - i had to switch to a higher profile tire to soften it up a bit... yes that means handling is theoretically bter, but it is really stiff, and you need to see if you are OK with that.

Also, it's a heavy car, with a lot of weight out over the front wheels. But it does corner very well given the weight.

The best exhaust mod is to remove the rear resonators - cost $80 and it sounds absolutely incredible. I posted some sound clips on AW a couple of months ago.

it's a great car - I miss a lot about it that the 3.0T simply cannot replace.

SinCityA6
08-29-2011, 10:33 PM
I guess I do have some questions on the extended warrantee. I've never really bothered with them before, since I've driven the same reliable car for over the past decade and replacement parts were cheap and plentiful. Do you take it to an audi dealer post-purchase to get one? Are there third parties? I believe I will most definitely be buying it though if this is the car I purchase. Just want to know the best way about doing this........... What I'm curious about is the actual mileage on the car. 60000 miles seems kinda high. No worries here? Can I just buy extended warranttee and just relax?

If the car has been well maintained, then 60000 miles should not be a worry. As stated before, the motor is pretty bullet prove, but maintenance is always key. As for Extended Service Plans (can't be called warranties), since the car has 60000 on the clock and is not being sold by an Audi dealership, CPO is out. However, there are several 3rd party Extended Service Plan companies out there. If might be worth a little time to take a ride to the Audi dealer and speak with their finance manager. I am sure they have or can recommend a reputable Company and probably wouldn't mind selling it to you, too (get that commission).

d00d
08-30-2011, 10:50 AM
I've come to the conclusion that the carbon buildup is due to a malfunctioning fine oil separator;

http://www.netdevice.com/42FSIpg9.jpg

Here's my V10's number two cylinder intake valves at 59,704 miles (not much carbon buildup);

http://www.netdevice.com/UVS110326-005.jpg
http://www.netdevice.com/UVS110326-011.jpg

Here's my V10's number two cylinder intake valves at 65,119 miles (still not much carbon buildup);

http://www.netdevice.com/uvs110830-012.jpg
http://www.netdevice.com/uvs110830-007.jpg

Bdubs
08-30-2011, 03:01 PM
d00d...pics didn't work, or at least they aren't working for me (do they work for anyone else?). and I was really looking forward to seeing them given I'm at 50k miles right now and I don't want to pay for a carbon cleaning if one isn't needed.

And, @ rs3...no real pet peeves for me. The ride is firm, but not overly stiff and quite frankly, no worse than the 2007 Volvo V70R I had previously that had 19s on it...now that was a rough/crashy-over-bumps suspension.

rs3
08-30-2011, 05:06 PM
I see pics Bdubs. And it's a world of difference from the carbon infested pics I've seen on the carbon cleaning thread. It looks like a gentle soot on there. Whereas the bad one's look like the the carbons been baked on and crystallized instantaneously whilst in full inferno... has a shine to it. Thanks for the pics d00d. Wonder how much it'd cost to replace the oil separator.

Thanks, for the feedback as well Bdubs. I think I like a little more sporty ride. I don't necessarily want the ride like a marshmallow anyway. Don't necessarily want a track car either. I guess I'll see what it's all about. I think the only thing I'm trying to decide on now is the the exterior styling. I loved the slightly more aggressive S4 over the standard A4 while maintaining sleeper quality... but the S6 just might be the ultimate sleeper. Seems like the only difference is the S and V10 badges and the led fogs/daytime runners... and is that a slight flare I detect? I like subtle, but nearly imperceptible? But I admit I'm toying with the idea of an ultimate sleeper.

Bdubs
08-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Ah...I can see them at home, must have been a work filter issue. Thanks for sharing d00d.

JPJ2007
08-30-2011, 08:49 PM
I'd get the S6.

I know my A6 Isn't anything of the S6, But it's a FSI engine just like the S6, And on my 2006 I've got 150,000 original miles with no work. And I enjoy driving her, I pretend its a v10. :P Maybe One day.

btw the motor is out of a lambo, Detuned I don't know. Because it's actually bored out from 5.0 (lambo version) to 5.2 for Audi's S6 model. I think its out of the lp560? I don't remember right off the top of my head.
But it was made larger for the S6 model... lol I assume weight was the factor in that decision.

d00d
08-31-2011, 05:47 AM
Actually the V10 engine in the 2009 and newer Lamborghini Gallardo is based on the Audi V10, and the Audi V10 is based on the modular Audi V6 and V8 series.

B6JoeS4
08-31-2011, 09:01 PM
^What he said. The S6 V10 shares NOTHING in common with ANY Lamborghini engine besides displacement. The V10 FSI in the S6/S8 is based off of the RS4 4.2 V8 but with two extra cylinders. Do the math....4.2/8=.525L per cylinder. Multiply that by 10 and you get a motor that is 5.25 liters....ala S6. The S6 motor is more like the FSI V8 used in the Q7 which is also based off the RS4 motor. Audi calls this the "comfort version" which is built for low end torque and it does not have the 8250rpm redline like the RS4.

Carbon is NOT from a bad factory oil separator. This is why aftermarket catch cans do not work to reduce the carbon build up in any of the FSI motors that they have been tried on. I have heard lots and lots of reasons for the carbon, and the one that makes most sense to me is valve overlap.

Overall the engine is rock freakin solid and the only thing it needs is carbon cleanings every 30k or so, and a good ester based oil such as Motul 8100 x-cess to care for the Alsuil cylinder walls. It's already got forged internals for peats sake. You should be able to get the carbon cleaning done for under 1000 and it only needs to be done every couple of years. No biggie

I will finish making the DIY for the carbon cleaning on the S6 one of these days. I promise[:d]

Ynnekdude
08-31-2011, 09:31 PM
^What he said. The S6 V10 shares NOTHING in common with ANY Lamborghini engine besides displacement. The V10 FSI in the S6/S8 is based off of the RS4 4.2 V8 but with two extra cylinders. Do the math....4.2/8=.525L per cylinder. Multiply that by 10 and you get a motor that is 5.25 liters....ala S6. The S6 motor is more like the FSI V8 used in the Q7 which is also based off the RS4 motor. Audi calls this the "comfort version" which is built for low end torque and it does not have the 8250rpm redline like the RS4.

Carbon is NOT from a bad factory oil separator. This is why aftermarket catch cans do not work to reduce the carbon build up in any of the FSI motors that they have been tried on. I have heard lots and lots of reasons for the carbon, and the one that makes most sense to me is valve overlap.

Overall the engine is rock freakin solid and the only thing it needs is carbon cleanings every 30k or so, and a good ester based oil such as Motul 8100 x-cess to care for the Alsuil cylinder walls. It's already got forged internals for peats sake. You should be able to get the carbon cleaning done for under 1000 and it only needs to be done every couple of years. No biggie

I will finish making the DIY for the carbon cleaning on the S6 one of these days. I promise[:d]

I cannot wait to see what JHM does with the V10.

B6JoeS4
09-01-2011, 09:09 AM
V10 forced induction is a LONG time away I think. They already have tunes for the V10 but the big issue with uncorking the motor is the 4 massive cats that are part of the headers. Motor has to be pulled just to go catless. A catless V10 with a nice 3" catback would be STUPID FUN.

They still need to get their hands on a V10 to get some stuff going on it. Intake spacers really need to be made for this thing as heat soak just kills it. Catless cars could benefit from nitrous which would be awesome. V8 S4's are already running nitrous and with headers they are making +90tq and a huge HP bump

rimz
09-02-2011, 07:56 PM
If you haven't already, pull the trigger on the S6 (unless you found something better by now).

This month marks my one year anniversary with my '07 S6 and this car still scares me...in a different way. It's 4500+/- lbs, but pulls through all six gears like nothing. Its turning is absolutely tight with little sway and has a deep growl to it around 1800-2000 RPM.

I could go on about how much fun this car is, but you just need to go test drive one. I had high hopes for this car before I test drove mine and it exceeded them in every way. I haven't really had any issues w/ this car...some spring or something was broken in the sunroof, but that was fixed at no cost by the dealer (which i got an extended warranty from ** CarMax). i think the only issue i have is the e-brake gets stuck half the time when trying to unlock it. i was told one or both of my calipers (i think that's what the mechanic called them) are getting stuck at times and they're around $500 a piece to replace. but i don't use the e-brake that often, so it hasn't bothered me.

good luck and let us know what you get!

rs3
09-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Alright guys. I was laying low because I was trying to close purchase on the car. I must say i absolutely love it. But the love affair is over sadly. Owner is a douche. Will explain later.

305Supercharged
09-23-2011, 01:58 PM
=(

rs3
09-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Okay the sob story:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/2570662970.html

Nice car, but be wary of owner. Here's the timeline trying to make a purchase.

9/9 Met owner, nice guy, test drove and really liked. He even offered to thrown in tint on the car. Told him I'd talk to my bank and I'd be in touch.

9/12 Went to bank and got pre-approval on loan. Called ownerand he got flustered about how serious I was. He said he didn't have time to make sale, told me to call back in 5 minutes because he wanted to check if his friend wanted it. I called back and he asked for a down. I said I'm ready to do this now. He said he wanted down to see if I was serious. I said, I already went to bank and they pinged my credit I'm obviously serious. The thing is we are working around your schedule. As soon as your available, bank will pay you.

Played phone tag in evening.

9/13 We talk on phone and he says Thursday (9/15). I ask for Friday 9/16 so i can arrage for a ride. We agree to meet at opening of FCU at 9am.

9/14-9/15 I lay groundwork on sale with my bank and insurance company. I actually went down to their branches in addition to all the phone calls and email correspondance.

9/16 I call at 8am to confirm appointment but get voicemail. I leave a message. I go down to Bank and wait. I meet with financier and start doing paperwork. I call over and over on two phones to contact, but always voicemail. He no showed. I show up at his shop and he's there. He said he forgot and he didn't have his phone. Wants to reschedule on Monday or Tuesday. I ask if he can do Saturday but no. So I agree to Monday. I look at car again get VIN and Plates for my insurance company. He says call him on Sunday to confirm.

9/18 I call on three occassions to confirm appointment the next day. Early Afternoon, Late Afternoon and Evening. All Voicemail.

9/19 I call first thing in the am. Voicemail. He texts me that he's in court and wants to reschedule Friday. I text back asking when he gets out, because I hate re-scheduling. He no replys. I text that I'm not interested anymore. Still no reply.

9/21 I text him and ask if he's serious about selling to me. He text back immediately to call him. I do. Voicemail. I text again telling him to Call Me since he doesn't answer his phone. No call or text.

9/22 I text again in morning and ask him to just give me an answer if he's serious or not, because I really like the car. He text me back and apologizes for not getting back. He says car needs to be fixed. I'm like what? I ask what's wrong, he says he doesn't know and will take it in to get checked. I'm not sure if he's serious or trying to buy time so I ask if he'll be taking it to Wrenchwerks. He says yes. I ask if i can have them do a pre-purchase inspection while it's there. He says he has to check if it's worth fixing. I say win-win because I pay for the inspection, they look for problem for him, they check out rest of car for me. He says he'll let me know when he drops it off. Later on around noon I'm close by since I was at municipal buiding so i text to see if he dropped it off. He says no, another shop will look at it. I ask why. What happened to Wrenchwerks. No brainer since they are audi certified, and they are close to his shop. No reply.

At about 5pm, via text message I make a higher offer and bump it up to get him moving. He replies saying it needs to be fixed and he can't afford to fix it. He says if I want it as is. I ask how much it costs to repair and if it runs. He says it runs but he doesn't want to damage it. I ask whats wrong, and he says he can smell gas. He says to let him know if I want it because his friend is interested. I ask if he got an estimate for repair, he says no. (Not sure how he knows he can't afford to fix it if he never got an estimate). I make a final offer for the car, and extra for his troubles to get car down to bank with all paperwork. After back and forth about paperwork he asks if I'm serious because his friend wants it again. I say yes at 9AM-10AM. He says "Ok!"

9/23
I text him first thing in the AM to confirm appointment. He texts back and says he can't drive it down. I point out that he okayed it last night, and ask what happened since then. No reply. I text him reminding him that if sale does not go down today, I'm moving on. He texts back and say he told me car is broken. I text back and said I told him I would buy car as is, and offered extra cash for his troubles to make it happen. No reply. I text again saying to let me know soon since I have to drive down from other side of island to Bank. He texts back that it has to be towed. I text back and say okay. But note that if it doesn't start my bank may say no. He texts back that it does start but gas leaks. He says he's not towing down and that i don't get the car. I acknowledge.

Note that all I wanted from him was a straight answer that he wasn't going to sell the car. I kept getting led on, and I felt like my calls were screened. Anyway, it was a lot of my time wasted. As far as if you believe he seriously had all these issues that prevented him from selling car or if he playing games decide for yourself. Just be careful.

He's also selling this tacoma

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/2546573649.html

and he's selling a 2010 5 series BMW.

Misc. At test drive he said he was second owner then waffled into saying he was 3rd. Carfax says he's 4th. Seems like he didn't drive it much, but the 3rd owner got it repo'd and likely abused the car. Car has lots of small scratches and dings. Wheels are curbed and led dayrunner is cracked.

Phew. I was really pissed but, I'm glad that I pushed until he gave in. I would've hated to lose out on the car because of my own lack of assertiveness. Anyway I guess I'll go shopping again... or wait til something nice comes along.

Atm looking at
07 A3 3.2 quattro
07 A4 quattro, believe it's 3.2
10 A4 Avant 2.0
08 Sline A6 not sure of motor

and possibly leasing
12 S4

Nothing quite like owning an C6 S6 though. The other alternative which I am seriously considering is letting my loan expire and just waiting til something comes up. Preferably with an "S" on it. lol.

rs3
09-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Oh and i wanted to share my impressions after test drive and further research, but like I said, didn't want to post anything while i was trying to close deal.

My concerns:
-Size, bigger than I'm used to, but visions of people in the back seat has changed my stance. I actually am leaning towards comfort for my back row passengers. Trunk, wow this thing can double as a hearse! Love that cargo space. I guess performance, practicality and utility is what draws me. S6 does it well.
-Ride, don't know why stiffness is an issue to some people. The ride is fine. I guess the people complaining are the one's that like riding camrys and lexus' that squash all personality of a car.

Other notes:
Love the interior. Love the seats. Beautiful leather finish and fits like a glove. Black on black made for extremely hot ride though since it was sitting under the sun.
Handling - Comfortable in automatic. Perfectly fine mode for rush hour traffic which i spend every morning and afternoon in.
Sport Mode - I know what everyone's talk about now about using this only when you are riding solo. Not fun for unsuspecting passengers, but extremely enjoyable for the enthusiast. Was test driving in rush hour so i felt like the car was handcuffed, was able to get a nice rev though using tiptronic and the V10 is pure bliss. Brakes feel extremely secure.

Sigh. i wish you guys told me to stay away from it.

305Supercharged
09-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Wow that guy has issues. I honestly would have walked away when he stopped replying, wouldn't to seem so pushy. Also, reading your story, I feel like this guy is really fishy...If I had a car and it was "broken" and someone offered to buy it + extra, why is he still bothering to reschedule and everything lol.

Glad you didn't go through for the sale with this guy, but sucks that you wasted your time..believe me something better is waiting around the corner =).

Was looking at the list of your potentials, whats your budget that you want to spend on the car? And also, you said an option was to wait out your lease, what car do you currently have?

rimz
09-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Wow, your scenario sounds a lot like one I ran into when looking for an S6.

I found a listing on AutoTrader for an '07 S6 with low miles and only asking $25,000 for it (this was in 2010). The car was down in Texas.

I email the guy about it, already assuming this is a scam. Who sells a car like this at that price when it's worth plenty more than that? So I get a reply from him the next day and this is the exact email he sends:

The car is still for sale. The asking price is $25,000. It is located in Austin, TX. The car is registered on my name and the title is clear (no lien). It is in great condition, no dents or scratches. It was always garaged and the regular maintenance was done in time. It wasn't involved in any accident and has never suffered any kind of damage. Also this is a non-smoker car.If you have any questions regarding the car or you want extra photos just let me know!
I had a buyer offering $26,600 and I've lost about 2 weeks waiting for him to pay just to find out in the end that his loan wasn't approved. I've lowered the price because I'm in desperate need of cash it's either the car or the house so if you don't need a loan you can have it.
I'm currently signed up for a protection program offered by Google Checkout and I would like to close the deal through them. If you are not aware of this program you should know that it will allow you to test drive and inspect the car before paying me. You will have a 7-day inspection period to decide whether you want to keep the car or not before they release the funds to me.

If you are still interested and have cash just send me your Google id (www.GoogleCheckout.com) and I'll ask them to fill you in with the transaction details.

I never replied to him knowing this had to be a scam, especially when he starts pushing for a cash sale and whatnot. I kept checking AutoTrader the next few weeks and found this exact same car posted again, same picture and all, but in a different location.

Didn't meant to jack your thread, but it sounds like these type of things happen more than you think. It's a good thing your deal never went through in the end. It probably saved you major stress and issues w/ the car.

Good luck on your search and maybe you'll find a better, more legit, S6 out there. :)

07S6
09-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Funny, i had come accross same type of deal when i was shopping for an S6.. they said the car would be shipped to me in a container and i have the inspection period before the funds are transferred, so the owner doesnt have to deal with showing the car, etc... I never really knew if it was legit, but walked away regardless, as the price was also way underpriced. Glad i did as I ended with a great S6. :)

rs3
09-30-2011, 11:16 AM
I guess it started out very positive. Because I met the owner, test drove it, and we made an agreement. So it wasn't quite an online checkout deal. When you get so close to making that purchase, it's not the same as passing it off as a scam. I mean it wasn't perfect, it had lots of minor scratches, daylight runner cracked ($500 for part alone), wheels curbed, and weather or not you believe him, possibly damaged fuel line. Carfax showed 4 owners and 3rd owner seemed to abuse it. But I was willing to take it in and give it the tlc it deserved. It would've been worth it to me. I just unfortunately had to deal with an ass of an owner.

BTW did make a purchase.
Ended up with an all stock light silver 08 A6 3.2, interior has S-line package (I guess S-line exterior is standard for all models of this year). From Audi dealer. 27.5K miles on it.

Does not come close in power, but pretty happy with it. Interior is exactly the same as S6 because of trim package, 3 spoke steering wheel/paddles, bucket seats, so it's just as much a joy to be inside, just not quite the beast lurking under the hood.

I also test drove the '12 A6 and fell in love, but not quite ready for that financially. Oh God the technology in that is unbelievable! The variable air suspension! The google maps/wifi integration! And the feel of the new weight distribution on the handling. Very proud of Audi right now.

The plan I suppose is to trade in this A6 for the new S6 in a couple of years. Can't imagine I'd want anything else. The thought of it performing better than the outgoing S6, and possibly being cheaper to own (with cylinder deactivation) appeals very much to me. And if all goes according to plan, I'll be in a financial position to make it happen. (It'd be my first 'new' car) Can't wait.

Anyway, glad to now be part of the audi community.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll be sure to dust off my DSLR and post pics some day.

07S6
09-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Congrats on the purchase! The '08 3.2 is a great car..thats exactly what I had before moving to the V10. Never had a prob with the '08.

rimz
09-30-2011, 06:52 PM
very nice. glad things turned out positively for you in the end.

i agree, the new S6 sounds very delicious with its new efficiency...but knowing i have one of the V10 models that is apparently not going to be made any longer makes me feel warm and fuzzy [:D]

i just noticed you're in Honolulu....we expect amazing Hawaiian backdrops with this gorgeous car in the foreground [cool]

305Supercharged
10-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Congrats and welcome =)!

rs3
10-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Proof.

Detailed it over the weekend. Had Monday off so drove around the island.

Exterior
Meguiar's Clay/Lube
Meguiar's Wax/Wash
Polished w/ Metabo Rotary
Menzerna FP II
Chemical Guys Jet Seal 2 Coats
Souveran Paste Wax 1 coat (and more to come)
Chemical Guys Extreme wet on tires and Trim (wiped off for matte shine)
Chemical Guys Extreme Slick Acrylic Detailer on windows

Rained on my drive so wiped down with Showtime QD for beach shoot

Interior
Chemical Guys VRT Dressing on Plastic/Vinyl
Lexol Cleaner & Conditioner on Leather

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i320/gtbaka/audi-a6/IMG_0039.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i320/gtbaka/audi-a6/IMG_0041.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i320/gtbaka/audi-a6/IMG_0061.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i320/gtbaka/audi-a6/IMG_0068.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i320/gtbaka/audi-a6/IMG_0069.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i320/gtbaka/audi-a6/IMG_0070-1.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i320/gtbaka/audi-a6/IMG_0074-1.jpg

Aloha

305Supercharged
10-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Looking really good!

Bdubs
10-13-2011, 05:20 AM
The car looks great! Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Granted, with backdrops like those, you could have covered it in mud and it would have still looked perfect....[:)]

jmlinmn
12-12-2011, 07:39 PM
I went back and forth over whether or not I really liked my '07 S6 for a while. Now I've grown to love it. I have a 93 octane APR tune on it and milltek non-res catback exhaust. Thus far I've been pulling JHMs bluff on anything like a supercharger, etc for the S6. The second they have something serious they can do to the car I will drive it cross country myself and leave it there.

The APR tune + exhaust makes this a mean, mean car, but it feels like there could be a lot more there.

CrazyEights
01-23-2017, 01:25 PM
JHM tune, exhaust, spacers, etc.... voila....

SinCityA6
01-23-2017, 07:29 PM
JHM tune, exhaust, spacers, etc.... voila....

I am going to call you "Bishop" from here on out; cause you just resurrected an old, dead thread! The time gap is a new record.[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

Kevin1
01-23-2017, 07:46 PM
I am going to call you "Bishop" from here on out; cause you just resurrected an old, dead thread! The time gap is a new record.[emoji23][emoji23]

Holy thread revival Bat Man!

cal3thousand
03-08-2017, 04:01 PM
I read the 1st 3 posts before realizing it said 2011.... [rolleyes]

corrado-correr
03-21-2017, 02:35 AM
its amazing the pictures still work

Colo S6 v10
06-17-2017, 08:08 AM
I have a 2008 S6 v10 68,000 miles. I love it! Comfort and power for days! Did I mention that I love it! They say you can't run with the M5 but not true. The engine is turned way down in the S6 to 435 hp. If are you add an exhaust system and a few light modifications. You can find the M5 in the rear view mirror.

ichi d
06-17-2017, 09:45 AM
I have a 2008 S6 v10 68,000 miles. I love it! Comfort and power for days! Did I mention that I love it! They say you can't run with the M5 but not true. The engine is turned way down in the S6 to 435 hp. If are you add an exhaust system and a few light modifications. You can find the M5 in the rear view mirror.

i dont know about that one. lol