PDA

View Full Version : sway bar/strut bar???? I dont know

DS1LLAR1
08-27-2011, 10:00 AM
so I go to change my oil yesterday and low and behold I find that one of the bars on the car have been rusted through. Now I dont know what type of bar this is and I tried searching but cant come up with anything. It right underneath the car right near the middle it looks like a support bar for turning, but again I have no idea what it is called. If you know where I can get one that would be great since I probably need that right away.
http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i471/dsiiiviper4/?action=view&current=danielbar.jpg
i dont know if the picture showed up but heres the link:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2055007374985&set=a.1958311117639.2102667.1238580346&type=1&ref=nf

h4robkr123
08-27-2011, 12:31 PM
If it is the sway bar you can either look at it as a way to upgrade, looking into either hotchkis or H&R. If you want to stay stock, give Force5 a call. They are in concord, NH, which shouldn't be too far of a drive from Boston.

Seerlah
08-27-2011, 12:57 PM
I don't have a facebook account, so can't see the pic. And the one you tried comes up as a red x. But it would be either the sway bar or drive train stabiliser bar (DTS). I have a spare sway bar I can sell you if you need, but I don't think I have ever read a case of that being rusted through. If it's the DTS, you may want to upgrade. You can drive without it, but you will experience a lot of flexing of your vehicle.

DS1LLAR1
08-27-2011, 01:22 PM
see if you can see it on here http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i471/dsiiiviper4/?action=view&current=danielbar.jpg

Seerlah
08-27-2011, 01:31 PM
That's your DTS (drivetrain stabiliser bar). I would take this time to upgrade with upgraded bushing. If you want a simple stock replacement, John Gutmannnn (http://www.audizine.com/forum/member.php/46172-John-Gutmannnn) is parting a car where he can sell you that part. Send him a PM if you want to go that route.

ianwpb
08-27-2011, 11:44 PM
That's your DTS (drivetrain stabiliser bar). I would take this time to upgrade with upgraded bushing. If you want a simple stock replacement, John Gutmannnn (http://www.audizine.com/forum/member.php/46172-John-Gutmannnn) is parting a car where he can sell you that part. Send him a PM if you want to go that route. otherwise, you could go after market. Check out awe-tuning.com's DTS. Its in the mid $200's and it supposedly helps a bunch with drive train slop.

:) That does not have anything to do with steering though..

The sway bar runs from each front lower control arm from side to side. From what I understand, the thickness of the bar determines how much one spring is allowed to compress versus the other spring during a turn. The thicker (measured in mm's) the sway bar, the less movement in the bar, the less movement in the front lower control arms, and in turn, the less the spring on the opposite side is going to compress when negotiating a turn. Make sense?

Strut bars are the part that attaches the tops of both struts (shock & spring combined) in the engine bay together which in turn completes the suspension. Makes for a more solid and put together driving experience.

That's what I understand from the things I've read about both bars. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2001A4QUATTRO
08-28-2011, 07:43 AM
The OP was referring to a part that had rusted through and broken underneath the car. It is very common for the factory DTS to break. Not sure if I would even call the factory piece a DTS.. :) It is all in the first post...

ianwpb
08-28-2011, 10:18 AM
The OP was referring to a part that had rusted through and broken underneath the car. It is very common for the factory DTS to break. Not sure if I would even call the factory piece a DTS.. :) It is all in the first post...

Yes, I know. I saw the picture. He wasn't sure what it was called so I decided to clarify something for him, for example the differences between strut, sway, and dts bars.

2001A4QUATTRO
08-28-2011, 10:25 AM
I guess your comment ":) That does not have anything to do with steering though.. " Is what threw me off. Your comment appeared to be more towards Seerlah than the OP. My apologies if I was incorrect.

walky_talky20
08-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Guys, do you really think that bar does anything? IMO it's pretty pointless, and the Tiptronic cars didn't even have them. This bar doesn't tie into the drivetrain at all. It is more of a chassis stiffener than anything. The chassis is plenty stiff on these cars already, imo. I swapped from Tip to 5MT and didn't even bother finding one of these.

Seerlah
08-28-2011, 12:32 PM
That bar deters front end flexing, more than anything. That may be it's only purpose. But the upgraded DTS (JHM or AWE) serves more of a purpose, because of the design and bushing to support the transmission, which reduces it's movement. The stock DTS serves the same purpose as having an engine strut brace. But will it brace the engine? Nope. Will it reduce front end flexing? Yep.

ianwpb
08-28-2011, 01:38 PM
I guess your comment ":) That does not have anything to do with steering though.. " Is what threw me off. Your comment appeared to be more towards Seerlah than the OP. My apologies if I was incorrect. Yeah sorry, I suck at forums lol. I edited Seerlahs post to include the aftermarket DTS option too and the other comment was for the OP.

Guys, do you really think that bar does anything? IMO it's pretty pointless, and the Tiptronic cars didn't even have them. This bar doesn't tie into the drivetrain at all. It is more of a chassis stiffener than anything. The chassis is plenty stiff on these cars already, imo. I swapped from Tip to 5MT and didn't even bother finding one of these.

Yeah, I was about to say.. I didn't think it even attached to the tranny.