PDA

View Full Version : Oiled K&N filter with wd-40? Weird problem now

Ynnekdude
08-02-2011, 04:59 AM
Now that I have your attention [;p]

I installed a K&N filter yesterday. I must say, I understand why the dealer doesn't change it every 10,000 miles. Talk about a pain in the ass. I spent around 15 minutes trying to get the top portion of the airbox out without damaging any of the surrounding hoses. Once out, I thought, "the worst is over." Wrong.

Reinstalling the box with the new K&N filter was one of the most ridiculous experiences I have ever encountered. I was literally dripping with sweat (thanks to this disgusting weather) and getting so damn frustrated I nearly gave up. Finally, however, I wedged the airbox back in there and hoped the filter was seated correctly. Let's hope so. I figure the airbox would not have snapped shut if it had not been.

I went out for a quick drive and I will say the car sounds a little bit better. I can hear more of a "phhhhhhhh," when I mash on the throttle. It seems to breathe a bit better but that may just be a placebo effect. One thing I did notice was how heat soaked the airbox gets. I wish there was a quality intake option for these cars to possibly mitigate some of the heat. Anyone want to make petition APR to make us one? [:)]

SinCityA6
08-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Now that I have your attention [;p]

I installed a K&N filter yesterday. I must say, I understand why the dealer doesn't change it every 10,000 miles. Talk about a pain in the ass. I spent around 15 minutes trying to get the top portion of the airbox out without damaging any of the surrounding hoses. Once out, I thought, "the worst is over." Wrong.

Reinstalling the box with the new K&N filter was one of the most ridiculous experiences I have ever encountered. I was literally dripping with sweat (thanks to this disgusting weather) and getting so damn frustrated I nearly gave up. Finally, however, I wedged the airbox back in there and hoped the filter was seated correctly. Let's hope so. I figure the airbox would not have snapped shut if it had not been.

I went out for a quick drive and I will say the car sounds a little bit better. I can hear more of a "phhhhhhhh," when I mash on the throttle. It seems to breathe a bit better but that may just be a placebo effect. One thing I did notice was how heat soaked the airbox gets. I wish there was a quality intake option for these cars to possibly mitigate some of the heat. Anyone want to make petition APR to make us one? [:)]

There is an air filter system on the market that deletes the air box all together. I am not sure if it will do much about the heat soak since the cone filter is only separated from the rest of the compartment by a plastic shield. I do wish a reputable manufacturer would make a Cold Air system for our cars. Sign me up on that petition!

OmaHahn
08-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Speaking of that - I want to put a K&N in my B8 but read on their site that it takes a while and requires some tools (a lot more than I ever used in the past to change an air filter!!) But if Audi does it every 10,000 - what is the affect on the K&N? I know it's a Million Mile Filter - but don't they recommend washing and re-oiling it every 5k or something? And after looking at my engine compartment - I think this might be one mod I won't do.

riegeraudi
08-02-2011, 06:07 PM
K&N filter gives very very little performance while possibly subjecting your engine either to more dirt if not oiled properly or even worse oil if oiled too much. Just use the regular filter. Not to mention you will get a lot more supercharger whine without the stock filtration setup.

Kevin1
08-02-2011, 06:21 PM
K & N filters do more harm than good.

SinCityA6
08-02-2011, 10:40 PM
K & N filters do more harm than good.

Anyone have any feed back on this http://www.stratmosphere.com/product/360/2

Ynnekdude
08-03-2011, 05:38 AM
Anyone have any feed back on this http://www.stratmosphere.com/product/360/2

Wont fit. Already spoke with them. Our filters also have this smaller flange on one end that goes into small piping. Anyone know its purpose?
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/HighPerformanceAirIntake/Audi/A6/1APKF00017/325366?utm_campaign=gb_api_nobr&utm_medium=comparisonshopping&utm_source=google_base&utm_content=PKF&gclid=CJbCvI-Rs6oCFdTAKgod1Q0Vwg#TB_inline?height=620&width=890&inlineId=myOnPageContent
(the smaller side, mine got a little cut up during install. It was an absolute pain to get to sit correctly)