PDA

View Full Version : he Fans on my 2002 A6 2.7T Keep Running Even After I Shut Off The Engine - What is th

johnxyz
07-04-2011, 02:17 PM
My radiator fan(s) continue to run for 5-10 minutes aftyer I turn-off the engine. This is an 2002 A6 2.7T. Coincidently it started doing this after I replced the ECT sensor with the new green sensor to clear a CEL. I believe I installed the sensor correctly and the CEL went away. Do you think the replacement sensor is related to the fan run-on? Grounding? Relay? Something I can fix or do I need to go to the dealer? Thanks for any help.

walky_talky20
07-04-2011, 02:48 PM
I do believe that is the normal and desirable effect of using the updated sensor. It runs the after-run coolant pump and fans during the cool down period, which now has a lower temperature threshold to kick in.

Also, you should post this in the C5 forum...because your car is a C5.

johnxyz
07-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Thanks a lot walky_talky20 - that's a relief. As a follow-up - do you think there will be an issue with running the battery down because the fan is engaged and operating for so many minutes after I shut the engine off? Thanks again (moved it to C5 as well - but luckily you read my query).

j_sonel
07-06-2011, 05:56 AM
It's the after run fan meant to keep the engine bay temps down after shutting the car down hot. It won't wear down your battery prematurely.