PDA

View Full Version : Walbro 255 > Bosch 044 Inline install

1NaudiA4
05-20-2011, 05:19 PM
So I've been running a bosch 044 inline with my walbro feeding it for about the past year now and have never liked how it had sounded. Its provided more than enough E85 to feed my HTA30r at 30lbs but having the damn pump whine at idle was getting really annoying. People would honestly give me a look at lights like there was seriously something wrong with my car [headbang]

To reduce the noise a little bit I took it upon my self to redo the plumbing.

Heres the parts I used:

-Fuelab 81831 -6AN 6 Micron Micro Fiberglass element Filter
-Bosch 044
- 18 x 1.5mm Male to -6 AN adapter
- 12 x 1.5mm Male to -6 AN adapter
- 6AN 150* hose end
- 6AN 120* hose end
- 6AN 90* hose end
- 4' 6AN hose
- 2" foam pipe insulation
- 2 zipties to pull up the lines so they're not so close to the ground

I previously had the 044 mounted where the fuelab filter is mounted currently and had it placed after my stock fuel filter. So my setup was essentially walbro>filter>044>rail. I had a sneaking suspicion though that the reason my 044 was so loud was that it had to pull the fuel through the filter which caused it to work a lot harder. My new setup would have the 044 mounted where the stock fuel filter is and then running to the fuelab filter which would be mounted where the 044 was previously. This would mean the sequence would change to walbro>044>filter>rail. Hooking everything up should be pretty straight forward but the hardest part was probably running the -6 stainless line where the stock line was.

After getting everything hooked up and tested I could tell the noise was now barely noticeable. I can hear a slight hum while inside the cabin but my exhaust covers it up pretty easily. [:D]

I don't have a lift in my garage so it was kind of hard to snap a good pic of what it looks like right now but I did my best:
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n585/SDLEDS/044writeup.jpg
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n585/SDLEDS/044writeup1.jpg

jettaglx91
05-20-2011, 06:09 PM
looks good, thats the proper way as the pump will cause cavitation pulling through the filter, hence wy it was so loud

1NaudiA4
05-21-2011, 01:51 PM
looks good, thats the proper way as the pump will cause cavitation pulling through the filter, hence wy it was so loud

Yeah I figured thats what was happening but I've heard of people mounting them in the engine bay so I didn't think it would be an issue to mount it where it was after the filter. I'm kind of glad to get rid of the stock filter though seeing as how it was a paper element and E85 supposedly degrades them quickly.

JumboBlack1.8
05-22-2011, 06:26 AM
Nicely done, man! I love your car

M-Hood
05-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Why didn't you just put the 044 pump into the tank?

1NaudiA4
05-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Why didn't you just put the 044 pump into the tank?

Running just the 044 in tank was an option but I opted for the in series set-up with the walbro feeding it since it flows slightly more volume and will have less pressure drop. I know its nothing compared to the increase in volume from running two pump in parallel but it will definitely bump up the volume a little bit. I also didn't want to deal with getting the basket needed to make the 044 fit in tank.

Seerlah
05-22-2011, 05:52 PM
I purchased a ghetto rigged in tank 044 setup, and can take pics of it to show you how he made it work. Basically, the pump is held in place by a regular clamp (large one). It was purchased from a member on here who does a lot of custom work on his car, and I see no reason why it would cause an issue if it didn't on his car.

1NaudiA4
05-22-2011, 07:03 PM
I purchased a ghetto rigged in tank 044 setup, and can take pics of it to show you how he made it work. Basically, the pump is held in place by a regular clamp (large one). It was purchased from a member on here who does a lot of custom work on his car, and I see no reason why it would cause an issue if it didn't on his car.

Yeah that would be great if you snapped a pic. I've thought of taking out the stock basket and modifying it to fit twin walbros but I got lazy and just went with the inline 044 route since it gave me enough fuel for what I needed. Plus I didn't want to run the stock fuel filter anymore with E85.

Seerlah
05-22-2011, 07:46 PM
I was mistaken, pardon. It looks to be an official 034 Bosch 044 unit, with a clamp placed on it to make it more secure. I did not take a good look at it when I revieved it, and has been boxed, inside another box for a while. I thought the clamp was placed on there to hold the pump in place on the stock basket.

M-Hood
05-23-2011, 07:10 AM
Running just the 044 in tank was an option but I opted for the in series set-up with the walbro feeding it since it flows slightly more volume and will have less pressure drop. I know its nothing compared to the increase in volume from running two pump in parallel but it will definitely bump up the volume a little bit. I also didn't want to deal with getting the basket needed to make the 044 fit in tank.

Flow isn't increased by much, I tried the same thing many years ago using 2 Walbro pumps before saying screw it and going to a intank 044 pump. That is when 034 made the drop-in 044 kit on my car.

The inline pump helps increase flow of the pump in the tank because it pretty much drops the pressure between the 2 pumps to nothing. But the 1st pump doesn't really increase the flow of the 2nd pump because that pump is still limited by how much fuel it can move based on pressure after it. Plus you end up with a much higher chance of the car going lean if the 2nd pump fails since you get a big decrease in fuel, where as if the first pump fails or a single pump setup fails the engine just shuts off.

A better way of running a 044 inline pump is to do one of the setups that has the 044 inside a surge tank. 034 and IE sell setups like that now.

1NaudiA4
05-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Flow isn't increased by much, I tried the same thing many years ago using 2 Walbro pumps before saying screw it and going to a intank 044 pump. That is when 034 made the drop-in 044 kit on my car.

The inline pump helps increase flow of the pump in the tank because it pretty much drops the pressure between the 2 pumps to nothing. But the 1st pump doesn't really increase the flow of the 2nd pump because that pump is still limited by how much fuel it can move based on pressure after it. Plus you end up with a much higher chance of the car going lean if the 2nd pump fails since you get a big decrease in fuel, where as if the first pump fails or a single pump setup fails the engine just shuts off.

A better way of running a 044 inline pump is to do one of the setups that has the 044 inside a surge tank. 034 and IE sell setups like that now.

Yep I got in contact with IE about getting a surge tank for my 044 pump. I figured I would get this in right now anyway since I would want to use this filter on the surge tank set-up later on. I'll probably pick up one of those surge tanks later on this summer.

If the first pump fails on my set-up it doesn't cause the car to die though. It just causes it to go slightly leaner under WOT.

M-Hood
05-25-2011, 04:56 PM
The inline pump wont keep pulling fuel from the stock fuel tank if the one in the tank fails, if that was possible then there would be no reason to have the intank pump.

When the inline pump fails it stays open, this means the only thing moving fuel is the intank pump and pretty sure that isn't going to supply enough fuel if your still using a stock pump in the tank. I pretty much have the same issue, if 1 or both of my inline 044 pumps fail my car will go lean if I am making over 600whp. I plan on putting a pressure sensor and warning light to tell me if the fuel pressure drops below a set point if any 1 of my 3 pumps fail.

1NaudiA4
05-25-2011, 07:34 PM
The inline pump wont keep pulling fuel from the stock fuel tank if the one in the tank fails, if that was possible then there would be no reason to have the intank pump.

When the inline pump fails it stays open, this means the only thing moving fuel is the intank pump and pretty sure that isn't going to supply enough fuel if your still using a stock pump in the tank. I pretty much have the same issue, if 1 or both of my inline 044 pumps fail my car will go lean if I am making over 600whp. I plan on putting a pressure sensor and warning light to tell me if the fuel pressure drops below a set point if any 1 of my 3 pumps fail.

Trust me I thought the same thing but I accidently left my fuel pump fuse out and started my car when I first installed the system. Sure enough the 044 pulled the fuel THROUGH the walbro in the tank. That really shows you how much of a beast that little 044 pump is to pull through the walbro like its nothing. I noticed that the afr where slightly leaner but it only became noticeable when I started to go WOT and even then it was only about .5 leaner. It was enough to be noticeable that my car wasn't acting normal so I got out of it. Thankfully being on E85 and not having an aggressive tune .5 afr leaner didn't do any damage to anything.

I don't really know if it will be so much of a pressure drop or more of a drop in volume that the pumps are feeding if the intank pump fails.