PDA

View Full Version : whats utah's law on front plates?

derek2079
03-29-2005, 03:19 AM
i remember going to a defensive driving class and the cop teaching the class saying somthing about a front license plate is a secondary thing which means they have to find two things in order to pull you over for it. does anyone know?

infact been pulled over a few times and they have never mentioned anything about a front plate

RobT
03-29-2005, 12:49 PM
I'd like to know for CO too if anybody knows. I've heard that it's simmilar, but not sure. I've had friends run w/out a front plate for years no problem, and heard about others getting hassled for it.

Rob

rckymtn3L
03-29-2005, 01:12 PM
In CO a front plate is a primary offense, meaning they can pull you over for not having one. My dad has been pulled over on five seperate occasions for not having a plate on his vette. The first cop to pull him over asked him if he was aware that he didn't have one then said that he like the way the car looked w/out one. Go figure.

Peace [drive]

CO AVANT
03-29-2005, 02:46 PM
As of 04 license plate covers are also illegal in CO (ex. smoked covers)

I need to take mine off soon, especially since I have no front plate either. I'm asking for it.

rckymtn3L
03-29-2005, 03:54 PM
CO AVANT, putting a front plate on your bumper would be crime though. I dont know if you remember talking about license plate covers @ the FoCo gtg, but I will try to find out where to get ones that make the plate visible only from behind and not from the side, if your interested [;)]

aussie_s4
03-30-2005, 12:03 AM
Anyone here tried this?

Photoblocker spray (http://www.phantomplate.com/photoblocker.html)

http://www.phantomplate.com/images/without_and_with.jpg

or

http://www.phantomplate.com/images/gif_anim_reflector.gif

CO AVANT
03-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Hell yeah, I forgot about that.

Originally posted by rckymtn3L
CO AVANT, putting a front plate on your bumper would be crime though. I dont know if you remember talking about license plate covers @ the FoCo gtg, but I will try to find out where to get ones that make the plate visible only from behind and not from the side, if your interested [;)]

rckymtn3L
03-30-2005, 10:54 AM
CO AVANT, heres a link (http://www.photoblocker.com/?OVRAW=license%20plate%20covers&OVKEY=license%20plate%20cover&OVMTC=standard) to get you started. It also has the product shown above on there. Take it easy.

Peace [drive]

CO AVANT
03-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Ordered it, thanks!

cbass
03-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Derok,
I don't know if not having a front license plate is a primary or secondary offense. If it's a primary offense it means that they can pull you over and ticket you just for that. If it's a secondary offense, it means that they can only give you a ticket for it after they have pulled you over for a primary offense first.

I do know that it IS illegal though.

Groove1797
03-30-2005, 12:41 PM
It is a primary offense from experience! it's a 45 dollar ticket with 1pt and dropped to 0pts if you mail it in on your first offense. I have never gotten a second offense so i can't tell you past that.

derek2079
03-31-2005, 09:14 PM
well i keep my front lic plate in my trunk and if i get pulled over for it id tell the cop a story about how it fell off or somthing.

but like i said have been pulled over for speeding quite a few times and a cop has never mentioned anything about my front plate

cbass
04-01-2005, 08:26 AM
^^^ that's the same for me too. I wonder if they just don't notice it when they pull us over because it's on the front of the car. I don't know.

kombi
04-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by cbass
^^^ that's the same for me too. I wonder if they just don't notice it when they pull us over because it's on the front of the car. I don't know.

This means neither of you will be asking the man about front tag laws in Utah the next time you get stopped.[:D]
I guess it'll be up to me since I'm rollin one.[:(]
First ticket in my first car was for no front plate in cal. Nothing else.

derek2079
04-05-2005, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by kombi
This means neither of you will be asking the man about front tag laws in Utah the next time you get stopped.[:D]
I guess it'll be up to me since I'm rollin one.[:(]
First ticket in my first car was for no front plate in cal. Nothing else.

yeah i dont think i will point out to a cop front plate next time i get pulled over

UT_AudiA4
04-06-2005, 02:04 PM
I was pulled over about a year ago for not having a front plate... the cop gave me a fix-it ticket... then i took it to the county courthouse here in Provo and the Ut County sherriff that was checking it off told me that only Provo cops would pull you over as a primary offense...

derek2079
04-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by UT_AudiA4
I was pulled over about a year ago for not having a front plate... the cop gave me a fix-it ticket... then i took it to the county courthouse here in Provo and the Ut County sherriff that was checking it off told me that only Provo cops would pull you over as a primary offense...

haha thats halarious