PDA

View Full Version : p0170 Code

cwsaudi
05-11-2011, 04:53 PM
hi all, i had a CEL come one today so i took my 2.8 avant to autozone to get the codes pulled. they gave me the the receipt which had a p0170 code on it. the causes were: large vacuum leak on engine, Ignition system malfunction, or a faulty bank 1 heated oxygen sensor. i did some research and found that for almost everybody it was a vacuum leak, however a few weeks ago i had a broken flex pipe which was tripping the CEL so i got that fixed at a muffler shop. would it be possible that the fix that they did came undone and is tripping that code, or is that a different sensor?

Cristisor
05-12-2011, 01:45 AM
If the flex pipe is broken before the first oxygen sensor then this might trigger the CEL light because the sensor detects too much oxygen in your exhaust (code p0170). There might be the MAF also, try doing a log on the MAF in 3rd gear, up to the redline, and see if the "Intake Air Mass" value goes up as the rpm's go up.

cwsaudi
05-12-2011, 04:27 AM
unfortunately i don't have the equipment to do that. but i am going to take it back to the muffler shop and get him to check his welds.

stofficer2
05-12-2011, 08:26 PM
If the flex pipe is broken before the first oxygen sensor then this might trigger the CEL light because the sensor detects too much oxygen in your exhaust (code p0170). There might be the MAF also, try doing a log on the MAF in 3rd gear, up to the redline, and see if the "Intake Air Mass" value goes up as the rpm's go up.

More info on this? I have a MAF code and a no activity from bank1 sensor. Catless full 3" back. I'm pretty sure the aftermakert air filter messed up the MAF. I had this issue with my VR6. Replaced MAF and put stock air filter and never had a problem since.

AndrA4
05-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Oddly enough, I had the same code, on a 2.8, with a broken flex pipe as well. The flex pipe was fixed(welded a new one) and the code was reset. No CEL after that...

Cristisor
05-12-2011, 11:24 PM
More info on this? I have a MAF code and a no activity from bank1 sensor. Catless full 3" back. I'm pretty sure the aftermakert air filter messed up the MAF. I had this issue with my VR6. Replaced MAF and put stock air filter and never had a problem since.

What kind of info? You should replace the bank1 sensor and show us the MAF code.

cwsaudi
05-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Oddly enough, I had the same code, on a 2.8, with a broken flex pipe as well. The flex pipe was fixed(welded a new one) and the code was reset. No CEL after that...

same here got the flex pipe weld fixed and the cel is off.