PDA

View Full Version : ETS SMIC logs/dyno results?

MDJ
05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Aloha ladies,

I'm usually bouncing around the S4 forums but I thought id try asking around here...

I've found all the comparison threads for ER, AMD, AWE SMs, but I'm curious if anyone over here has any experience worth noting?

I'm mostly interested in IAT log results in comparisson to those listed and the stockers.

Post up!

flynnr
05-10-2011, 04:28 PM
get ER for the s4

MDJ
05-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Oh, I know ER is the best route...that's a given. I've seen the logs, seen the dynos. Just not for these. I'm not really asking because I plan on buying them...to be honest, they look like ebay units.

Just wondering if they may be as good as RS4 ICs. I mean ERs aren't necessary for EVERY application, ya know? Plus, theyre close to 1400 bones w/o piping.

M-Hood
05-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Oh, I know ER is the best route...that's a given. I've seen the logs, seen the dynos. Just not for these. I'm not really asking because I plan on buying them...to be honest, they look like ebay units.

Just wondering if they may be as good as RS4 ICs. I mean ERs aren't necessary for EVERY application, ya know? Plus, theyre close to 1400 bones w/o piping.

$1400? You aren't looking hard enough.

MDJ
05-15-2011, 04:35 AM
$1400? You aren't looking hard enough.

You're probably right. I'm not. Thats because anything over 800 is unjustified in my book. These are glorified radiators, not turbochargers.

M-Hood
05-16-2011, 07:39 AM
You're probably right. I'm not. Thats because anything over 800 is unjustified in my book. These are glorified radiators, not turbochargers.

A raditor doesn't efffect how much HP your car is making. A few degree's in IAT does make a difference.

MDJ
05-16-2011, 11:00 AM
A raditor doesn't efffect how much HP your car is making. A few degree's in IAT does make a difference.

Actually, coolant temps definitely have an effect on an engines ability to efficiently produce usable horsepower. I did not say that the IAT results from ER coolers was not justified. I was speaking about the price, which is over what it should be for what you get (materials, workmanship, etc...).

Quality dual core FMIC setups have been proven time and time again to provide the same HP gains and similar IATs as the ERs if not better. Even if it didn't turn out better (most likely due to ambient air temps, not cooler quality) it can all be made up for with a good W/M setup. Hell, I have seen IATs as good as what ERs provide on RS4 coolers and W/M.

Again, not arguing the results, but the price you pay to get them. In fact, come to think of it EVERYTHING is overpriced for our cars (especially the B5S4) because of those pesky, but glorious 4 rings...

M-Hood
05-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Sure if the car over heats all the time, I was talking on the lines of 2 working radiators.

Actually I have seen plenty of people that have gone from other DSMIC setups to the ER and said they saw a nice gain. Plus up there in the thin air at high elevation the IAT's are going to be even higher which means the DSMIC setup needs to be way more efficient when pushing high boost out of little turbos.

W/M can help reduce the IAT's in the IM, but doesn't do squat if the SMIC is heat soaking.

MDJ
05-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Sure if the car over heats all the time, I was talking on the lines of 2 working radiators.

Actually I have seen plenty of people that have gone from other DSMIC setups to the ER and said they saw a nice gain. Plus up there in the thin air at high elevation the IAT's are going to be even higher which means the DSMIC setup needs to be way more efficient when pushing high boost out of little turbos.

W/M can help reduce the IAT's in the IM, but doesn't do squat if the SMIC is heat soaking.

True, however I've seen a few guys tap ERs. Not that I would prematurely go that route...nor have I seen the results. I don't imagine it does anything.

Heat soak is plaguing the shit out of me right now on stock coolers and like I said I just cant justify the cost of ERs at this point. I know they're a great choice for stock replacements, but I've decided on a clean, inconspicuous FMIC setup, retaining the stock fogs.

M-Hood
05-17-2011, 07:10 AM
I cant say I have ever seen a inconspicuous FMIC on a S4. Plus they always seem to have overheating issues when used with the stock radiator.

MDJ
05-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Do a search. They are out there. You just have to be willing to make your own pipes or have some fabbed up, which is what I plan on doing.

Giving yourself about 1-1.5 inches of space and mounting the cooler to the rebar helps. I wont be tracking my car all that often and I don't ever drive during traffic. 90% of S4 owners with a FM will tell you it cools the way it should.

M-Hood
05-19-2011, 11:25 AM
I know what is out there and all of them have pipes that make it look very crowded behind the bumper. Most of the time its hard to get them so they dont stick out.

Odd thing is tons of the S4 owners that have tried a FMIC have had coolant over heating issues. Some even try to put a fan on the front like the car comes stock. I have been around the A4/S4 for over 11 years now and have even raced a 650whp twin GT S4 that had a FMIC on it.

MDJ
05-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Putting an electric fan on a car with a stock viscous fan makes sense with a fmic or without one, really...

If you've got a properly running cooling system the fmic shouldn't have a negative effect on cooling if you leave propper space between the cooler and radiator (especially with a high flow electric fan) and don't do tons of tracking, which I won't.

Aside from all that, a little elbow grease put into making correct bends in the piping to retain a stock look (again, what I'm after) is completely worth the price difference to me.

As far as the crowdedness...powdercoating the piping and cooler black helps (if you're keeping mesh intact). Along with cutting the bottom tank ends and re-welding them to be positioned back toward the wheels is what is needed to retain fogs.

M-Hood
05-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Last thing you want to do is powder coat the FMIC and pipes. If you want to do it right and not decrease the cooling of the parts then you want to anodize all the parts. Basically excatly like ER does to their kits.

MDJ
05-26-2011, 06:39 AM
That makes sense