PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Rattle after test pipe install

AudiTurbo
05-07-2011, 05:45 PM
So I just put on a test pipe from ecu tuning on my b5 (already have nuespeed exhaust) and now I'm getting a weird rattling noise when I rev it up.
It's not rubbing up against anything, so I don't know what else it could be. Could it be the gasket where the test pipe is a bit larger than the downpipe?

thanks

Seerlah
05-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Gaskets should not cause a rattling noise. They are flange matched/sized/manufactured, and does not really matter the size of the tp or dp. FWIW, I have a HFC wigh a ratle just like you explained. I am rather posotive it has something to do with the wastegate, and don't let it bother me too much. Last time I was in there, everything checked out. So........... Not really worth the hastle if everything works fine and it could be something so simple like the flapper just banging on the port in the exhaust housing.

AudiTurbo
05-09-2011, 08:50 AM
But why would it be doing it now after the install? Could it be loose?

bikerbob951
05-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Check where your downpipe meets the first hanger under the car, it's a spring loaded bracket. After my 034 test pipe install, I had to fuss with it a bit to get it to cooperate, it was hitting the trans tunnel under the passenger's feet. I'll try to post pics when I get home. Enjoy the test pipe!

sa_seahawker
05-09-2011, 09:45 AM
check your heat shields throughout. I have a B6 and when I swapped my exhaust, I noticed that they are secured with flimsy bolts and aluminum cap nuts. The bolts rust out easy and pop off when any pressure is exerted on them.

AudiTurbo
05-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Had it on the rack yesterday and there is no hanger,heatshield laying on the exhaust! I even sat in the car while it was raised up and it wasn't hitting anything
thank you all