PDA

View Full Version : RP CTS Ko4-014 Turbo Issues Anybody? Me here....

A1 A2 German
05-02-2011, 08:25 PM
I purchased a CT RP Ko4-015 from them a year or less ago, it ran great!....for ~2-3 months...and boost just feel off. Considering it was a new turbo, it was the last thing I really expected it to be so I began the long and regerus task of replacing everything. Every intake and exhaust gasket, did new plugs, vac tests, cleaned and reset the tb, having the ECU tested, compression, and on and on...I spent quite a bit of money replacing everything I could, N75 valve, tb, etc, etc and nothing.

And then started to catch a plume of smoke, to be very honest, I would assume it to be the guy next to me...thinking no way that's me.... till I catch a huge plume in someones headlight behind me and sure enough......

Probably went toast around ~3,000 miles, has a total of around 6,800 miles total.

I've never dragged, never have dropped the clutch, never been to the strip, never even laid first gear rubber before....but even if a did....so what?

I worked with Clay when I bought it and seemed like an awesome guy, I just hope this can be taken care of......

J Ozzie
05-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Seal :(

CTS should back their products up or at least take care of you. Clay is a chill guy so i dont see why shit would go bad. Keep us posted eh

ZimbutheMonkey
05-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Oh don't worry, you're not the only one

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/425702-BRAND-NEW-RP-TURBOS-Blown

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/424642-CTS-turbo-and-RP-turbo-issues-DO-NOT-BUY

Oh, and check my post #13 on the second thread to see how things can go south with Clay.

ZimbutheMonkey
05-02-2011, 10:34 PM
On more thing, regarding CTS's relationship with Kinetic and Kinetic's relationship with RP, here's a little interesting reading that pretty much confirms my theory that they're all in bed with each other.

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist here since I have ZERO vested interest in CTS, RP turbos and whether or not they blow,, but anyone else find it interesting that all the above named companies share a fairly close and common IP block on their websites?

As a web professional myself, I can also say almost without a doubt, they also all share a common web developer. Looking at the source code for Kenetic, CTS, and RP, it doesn't take a genius at web forensics to see the same individual coded them.. Look at the pattern they use for the framework.... the way he immediately goes into a variable message javascript right after the meta tags. Even the wording he returns for the error messages. Identical...

Kentic:
var msg_product_quantity_less = 'Product quantity is less as';
var msg_enter_min_valid_quantity = '(min order quantity).\nPlease enter valid product quantity!';

RP Turbos:
var msg_enter_min_valid_quantity = '(min order quantity).\nPlease enter valid product quantity!';

CTS:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's the web designer, Gary Lau, right in the middle of the IP block, that and he has kinetic in his portfolio. For what it's worth, He also looks to be a VW guy himself from his blog.

So they are either so closely related companies that the same employees/sub-contractors are being shared or the same all together (or one stole from the other, but I would doubt that..)

65.61.232.223 - www.rotomaster.us
65.61.232.224 - www.kineticmotorsport.com
65.61.232.225 - store.pdrdiesel.com, www.integratirelangley.com, www.pdrdiesel.com, www.piersdiesel.com
65.61.232.226 - www.ctsturbo.com
65.61.232.227 -
65.61.232.228 -
65.61.232.229 -
65.61.232.230 - evilmods.com, gcltechnologies.com, linlauwedding.com, www.garylau.ca, www.linlauwedding.com
65.61.232.231 -
65.61.232.232 -
65.61.232.233 - rpturbo.com, www.rpturbos.com

A1 A2 German
05-04-2011, 02:31 PM
After 3 days of calling someone finally answers.

Forgot the name, wasn't Clay, however said warranty is 6 months. I've owned it 12 months, failed in 3, I never even expected the turbo...I mean...it was brand freakin 2-3 months old.

That's just the crappest shit ever $600+ for 2.5 months! So, before I lose it, he said he'd see what he could do for me, however those turbos are outta stock.

Look at my turbo, if it wasn't for the VHT high temp paint coming off, it'd look brand new: You can't argue that's not ~6K miles.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/CTSTurboProblems.jpg

Robb12
05-04-2011, 04:53 PM
I had the same issue as you, mine probably went out in a month though. I purchased mine through ECS who ended up sending the turbo back to the manufacturer, then provided me with a full refund which I used to purchase a BW k04. I'd say to never purchase another RP turbo again, do your best to get some money back and get a reliable turbo.

.Mad Hatter.
05-04-2011, 04:53 PM
It looks better than mine did after 1 heat cycle, lol. Bummer though, unfortunately this seems to be the trend with these turbos.

EErie B6
05-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Zim,

if OP does end up eating the turbo...

at this point, wouldn't rebuilding it with genuine BW parts be the cheapest thing to do?

auh
05-04-2011, 09:16 PM
so would we say these turbos are worse than ebay turbos?

kingDL
05-05-2011, 03:26 AM
Doh Im glad that I spent the extra money buying a genuine KKK. Sux![:(]

J Ozzie
05-05-2011, 03:59 AM
FAIL!

Papa_Dios
05-05-2011, 05:57 AM
First they are stealing manifold designs from a good vendor (psi concepts) now this (actaully vice versa since they have been selling these junkers for quite a while)

SmokeTheRear
05-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Rp turbos are complete utter useless pieces of shit you can buy one of them ebay ones for 200 and get the same result. When it comes down to it splurge the extra 200 dollars and get the BW if you want to go down the ko4 route. In my case i bought my car with a ko4 and it was one of my highest points on me getting the car to find out a week later the turbos was blown. Kind of sketchy on why he was only avaible at night to test drive in a dark area.... Cant see plumes of smoke from effed up seals. I have a BW now and no complaints so far. Im burning oil some where but not like before. http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/190595_1457331252214_1801358180_835480_5925969_n.j pg

A1 A2 German
06-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Ready to send it out, we'll see what happens.

Blew in 2 months @ 1000 miles, as the proof is in my threads 2 months after purchase as I mileage stamped it in my thread(s):

It's been on for 7,000 miles @ 1 year as I gave up trying to figure out what was wrong, never thought it to be the turbo and gave up. Having to pass emissions I went on a whim and installed another turbo. The result...................... instantaneous, passed emmesions yesterday with flying colors and no more smoke pouring out my exhaust.

Lasted 1000 miles.

Here it is right now, pulled, blown, ready to be shipped....and no I didn't break it down and clean it...there's no mistaken that, that right there, is ultra low mileage:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/CTSsendingback.jpg

J Ozzie
06-29-2011, 11:59 PM
damn! that looks brand new!

Whats happening with it? getting a replacement?

A1 A2 German
06-30-2011, 01:24 AM
Yep, that's it pulled from the car, the rest of the casting looks basically just the same front to back. The only thing that says use, is all the sot inside the exhaust housing kinda caked up from bad seals but that's it. There's absolutist no arguing the condition or mileage of it being low.

It's blown, I can produce a 1 second boost spike to 14 psi and immediately drops to 10 psi, has a little much shaft play for my liking and she's smokin more then Cheetch and Chong.

Clay said he'll see what he can do for me, we'll see what happens.

On another note, I've never clutch dropped it, layed rubber, or been to a track ever! Even if I raced this Audi, tracked and dragged it, @ ~20 PSI with a PC16 kit, blowing @ 20K miles is not expectable, but 1000 miles, and look at the thing. You could eat off it, I know, I licked it twice......

J Ozzie
06-30-2011, 01:44 AM
well i know Clay is a good guy and im sure he will take care of you! At least i hope he does!

For your turbo that sucks so bad! No abuse to it at all just a chip? and low psi..

bigblue
07-10-2011, 08:46 PM
You get your shit straightened out? I'm still waiting to hear back from ecs about my ko4 I sent back last month. They told me they couldn't give me a refund of any kind and that it had to be sent back to borg warner... a turbo with less than 50 miles on it... I ordered a frankenturbo which was another stupid idea and another waste of money. I've spent $2200 on shitty junk turbos in the past 3 months lol.

jayiszraw
07-10-2011, 09:13 PM
You get your shit straightened out? I'm still waiting to hear back from ecs about my ko4 I sent back last month. They told me they couldn't give me a refund of any kind and that it had to be sent back to borg warner... a turbo with less than 50 miles on it... I ordered a frankenturbo which was another stupid idea and another waste of money. I've spent $2200 on shitty junk turbos in the past 3 months lol.

what issues have you had with franketurbo??

Toronto5.5
07-11-2011, 04:52 AM
what issues have you had with franketurbo??

X2 I want to pull the trigger on one myself and I'll I've ever heard so far are positives.

A1 A2 German
07-11-2011, 07:23 PM
I finally got a ship back reference #, so it went out today, we'll see what happens.

vishnu333
07-20-2011, 11:10 AM
After reading all these posts, I am know regretting the RP k04-15 I put in last month. Its going strong for now with only 1000 miles @20psi peak. What's wrong with Frankenturbo? I fear I may have the opportunity to try them soon.