PDA

View Full Version : Key Programming (Car didn't come with FOB)

00SantorinS4
04-20-2011, 07:01 AM
Hey guys, I picked up a 99.5 2.8l for my lady a couple weeks back. When I bought it the central locking pump was blown, I have just recently replaced the pump and all is good again.
Here's the issue. When I picked up the car, I got three keys only. (Guessing the fobs didnt matter to the prev owner once the pump went, or he lost them)
-1 outside door lock key (with light built-in)
-2 Ignition keys ** all three are oem Audi (I've had 5 Audi's and never received -any- Valet/Ignition keys.. people usually lose these I guess?)

Well now that the pump works properly, I'd like to get a switchblade key with FOB. Am I screwed here because I don't have another FOB with key to copy to new FOB?
My lady would castrate if she found out the car she bought will -never- be able to have remote entry LOL! Can I buy a fob w/ immo and blank key and use the ignition key
to copy to the FOB? I can program the Keyfob to the car no problem, I do have a vagcom.
Any suggestions?

somebody5788
04-20-2011, 07:03 AM
Hey guys, I picked up a 99.5 2.8l for my lady a couple weeks back. When I bought it the central locking pump was blown, I have just recently replaced the pump and all is good again.
Here's the issue. When I picked up the car, I got three keys only. (Guessing the fobs didnt matter to the prev owner once the pump went, or he lost them)
-1 outside door lock key (with light built-in)
-2 Ignition keys ** all three are oem Audi (I've had 5 Audi's and never received -any- Valet/Ignition keys.. people usually lose these I guess?)

Well now that the pump works properly, I'd like to get a switchblade key with FOB. Am I screwed here because I don't have another FOB with key to copy to new FOB?
My lady would castrate if she found out the car she bought will -never- be able to have remote entry LOL! Can I buy a fob w/ immo and blank key and use the ignition key
to copy to the FOB? I can program the Keyfob to the car no problem, I do have a vagcom.
Any suggestions?

There is no immobilizer on the A4's. So it's just a matter of programming the key fob. I believe VAGCOM can do this. Check ross-tech?

Unless your talking about having the blade cut on a new one? I'm a little lost sorry

00SantorinS4
04-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Gotcha (I guess I figured it did because my 01 VR6 had an immo) So my next question is, once I buy a new FOB w/ blank key, will I just let them cut the blank to one of my ignition keys?
I don't believe my ignition key opens the exterior doors? (Not that that matters if you have a remote FOB I guess) And will -any- two button audi FOB be okay to use?
Part number on the FOB would be great if necessary. There are a few OEM's on eBay right now I could pick up.

somebody5788
04-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Gotcha (I guess I figured it did because my 01 VR6 had an immo) So my next question is, once I buy a new FOB w/ blank key, will I just let them cut the blank to one of my ignition keys?
I don't believe my ignition key opens the exterior doors? (Not that that matters if you have a remote FOB I guess) And will -any- two button audi FOB be okay to use?
Part number on the FOB would be great if necessary. There are a few OEM's on eBay right now I could pick up.

The ignition key normally would do the doors but there's no telling whats been done to the car I suppose. My trunk one wont work >.> works on my door though.

Tried to open my key up to find a number but kinda scratched it.. I need to grab a screw driver. Might get it later if I have time.

00SantorinS4
04-20-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks man, a part # would be great seeing as you have the same year audi and engine as mine LOL. I pulled my S4 one apart with a small screwdriver in the hole and pulling both pieces apart with little effort. I've done it before with my prev audi and scratched the fuck out of the FOB.I was less than happy.

1.eighTEE
04-20-2011, 08:21 AM
4DO 837 231 I ** FOB part number for my 1999.5 b5

now to program the remote all you have to do is put on key in the ignition turn it over (do not start the car) roll down the d/s front door window, then close the door insert the flip key w/remote and then you will " lock it, lock it again, then unlock it" leave the key in the key hole then press the buttons randomly and it should start working.

to program the key yes.. your year does now have an immobilizer so as soon as it is cut, it will work. but dont be fooled, some b5's do. the 2000 and 2001 b5's DO have immobilizers. s dont go telling everyone later that all b5's dont have immobilizers cause that could be bad for other =/

00SantorinS4
04-20-2011, 09:41 AM

now to program the remote all you have to do is put on key in the ignition turn it over (do not start the car) roll down the d/s front door window, then close the door insert the flip key w/remote and then you will " lock it, lock it again, then unlock it" leave the key in the key hole then press the buttons randomly and it should start working.

to program the key yes.. your year does now have an immobilizer so as soon as it is cut, it will work. but dont be fooled, some b5's do. the 2000 and 2001 b5's DO have immobilizers. s dont go telling everyone later that all b5's dont have immobilizers cause that could be bad for other =/

Thanks a lot man! I thought B5's did have immo's just the 2000's and up, that makes sense (has digital LCD too). Do you have any insight on if I get my new flip key cut to one of the ignition keys if it will work?
For some reason the two ignition keys do not work in the door of the car. All three are factory audi keys which came with the car. Also, your remote is a 2 button remote correct? Not a 3 which would include a trunk release? I'd assume it's a 2 button because my 01 S4 is also a 2 button. I'm trying to search everywhere to find a matching remote to your part # for a decent price!

EDIT: I just opened my S4 Keyfob and I have the part # 4D0 837 231 T. Did you misread your last letter? You must have a T on the end of yours too I'm assuming!

rubberband
04-20-2011, 09:48 AM
my 2000 has no imobilizer. I just used the steps above and it worked. I read a ton of threads and most said yes, 2000 years do have it....then came across a thread or two that contradicted those statements.
kinda strange. I would just call a dealer with your vin and tell them what you are doing and ask them to make sure if you have one or not. You definately dont want to lock up the system.

00SantorinS4
04-20-2011, 10:01 AM
I found a remote on eBay which looks to be in great shape, matching numbers to mine
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-KEYLESS-REMOTE-FCC-MYT8Z0837231-4DO837231T-A3-B5-/200587359796?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb3f03634

Only thing is I'd need to find a blank blade and have it cut. Will hardware stores be able to laser cut these keys or will I have to take it to a dealer?

somebody5788
04-20-2011, 10:01 AM

United States B5's do not have immobilizers......

00SantorinS4
04-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Okay so I ordered the Keyfob from eBay, it already has a cut key so I also ordered a blank uncut blade to swap into it. Total = $45 shipped which is not bad IMO, cosmetically the remote is flawless.
So here's the current dilemma. I have two ignition keys and one valet key (doors). Which key am I going to have my new switchblade fob cut to? And do I have to do this at a stealer?

1.eighTEE
04-20-2011, 11:09 AM
United States B5's do not have immobilizers......

OH OK! well i must have been miss informed, but thank you.

and yes i have only 2 buttons im not sure if and b5's have 3 buttons fob's or set up for trunk release for a fob.

and if i were you, i work at a dealership.. and those "ebay keys" NEVER cut well they are cheap material and i have seen many break off into the ignition.
go to a dealer and order JUST a flip key by VIN. i think it will be $50 but then you will have a master key that works on all the doors and trunk and ignition.

IMO i think it is worth the money, qaulity over quanity...its a little more then what im sure you planned to pay but it is money well spent. and make sure the battery is new in the remote part.

00SantorinS4
04-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Ok Gotcha,

The flip keyfob I ordered was an OEM one from a vehicle that was being parted. It is in flawless shape, so looks like I'll be having it cut to the ignition key as the remote will let me in the vehicle otherwise. I really don't want to spend a bunch of money having the dealer find and cut a key to my vehicle, plus morong falmouth is a horrible audi dealer to goto and it's the only one in Maine.

1.eighTEE
04-20-2011, 12:00 PM
haha yea the audi dealer i went to get my key at tried to convience me that the key needed to be programmed and was going to cost $110 to program it and another $55 to program the remote....

and i just looked at them and said "i work at a VW dealership my 99 audi a4 is the same thing as an 99 Vw passat, they dont need programming since the car doesnt have an immobilizer.... "and they just looked at me in shock.. makes me sick that some dealers are that shity, i worked at a nissan dealer for a week and realized how sketchy it was and dipped out of there. i have too muc integrity to lie to people and tell them they need brakes when they really don't. but the VW dealership im at now is really honest and fair, but sometimes too TOO nice but its a good dealer =]

but good luck with that key, where do you plan to get it cut at???

somebody5788
04-20-2011, 12:25 PM
haha yea the audi dealer i went to get my key at tried to convience me that the key needed to be programmed and was going to cost $110 to program it and another $55 to program the remote....

and i just looked at them and said "i work at a VW dealership my 99 audi a4 is the same thing as an 99 Vw passat, they dont need programming since the car doesnt have an immobilizer.... "and they just looked at me in shock.. makes me sick that some dealers are that shity, i worked at a nissan dealer for a week and realized how sketchy it was and dipped out of there. i have too muc integrity to lie to people and tell them they need brakes when they really don't. but the VW dealership im at now is really honest and fair, but sometimes too TOO nice but its a good dealer =]

but good luck with that key, where do you plan to get it cut at???

Lol the VW dealer wouldn't do it? I woulda tried to order the key from Audi and just had VW cut it and program the fob. I mean I don't see why they couldn't.

00SantorinS4
04-20-2011, 01:29 PM
You know what, I'll get the keyfob/uncut blade and just goto the VW dealer next door. All I should need to give him is my VIN and he can pull up the master key cut right?

--That is if the VW Dealer will even do it?

1.eighTEE
04-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Lol the VW dealer wouldn't do it? I woulda tried to order the key from Audi and just had VW cut it and program the fob. I mean I don't see why they couldn't.

vw dealers have no registration to order audi soecifics, if you use an audi vin at my dealer it wont do anything the computer system is strictly VW only, and yes i could have ordered a key for my audi and woudl have had a vw emblem on they key....... no thanks, and i still got a discount for working at a dealer so i was fine with going to the audi dealer i planned to apply while i was ther but not after that crap they pulled on me.

00SantorinS4
04-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Ok sooo.. looks like I'm going to the shitty audi dealer 30miles from me! lol...

J Ozzie
04-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Don't let the insurance company know tell em, with a nice care like this and being an Audi of course it has a imo! Don't know about you but up here in bc. They give you money off your insurance. Not huge but it's something.

dirtyb5a4
04-20-2011, 03:06 PM
I tried to do the above to use my old key fob and it didnt work... Any other methods?

1.eighTEE
04-21-2011, 09:54 AM
I tried to do the above to use my old key fob and it didnt work... Any other methods?

is the battery good?

and if you lock the doors with the key does your security light come one blinking on the driver side?

1.eighTEE
04-21-2011, 10:01 AM
also only 8 remotes can be programmed to one car, so
if a bunch of people owned the car before you and the each lost a couple keys and got news ones and had them programmed its possible you have the max number programmed and need to clear the central locking memory of all the keys

somebody5788
04-21-2011, 10:15 AM
vw dealers have no registration to order audi soecifics, if you use an audi vin at my dealer it wont do anything the computer system is strictly VW only, and yes i could have ordered a key for my audi and woudl have had a vw emblem on they key....... no thanks, and i still got a discount for working at a dealer so i was fine with going to the audi dealer i planned to apply while i was ther but not after that crap they pulled on me.

Well that's not what I was saying but I guess.

1.eighTEE
04-21-2011, 10:22 AM
=]