PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here replaced the turbo oil feed line?

bandit
04-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Long story short, I'm installing my K04 and testpipe on Friday...and since the car has 160K on it I figured a new turbo oil feed line was a good idea until I looked where it mates up with the oil cooler. [mad] There's not much room to work with and and I'm not about to pull the intake manifold off either. Tips, tricks or any words of advise would be much obliged.

guy022077
04-18-2011, 04:57 PM
meh, unscrew the coolant overflow tank and move it to the side then just reach up under there. that may give you the room you need. is that line leaking? seems odd to replace it just because of mileage.

dumpedb5
04-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Just be happy you aren't doing it on an s4.

Quattro 4 Life
04-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Yeah you should definitely replace that. I did it a few years back so I dont really remember exactly what I did to get the connection undone, but I didnt remove anything and just got a wrench on it and turned it just a little bit at a time.

- Now that I think about it, I probably took off the intake hose from the intercooler to the throttle body so I could swing my arm in there to maneuver the wrench

Seerlah
04-19-2011, 01:23 AM
If full synthetic was ran and not cooked (changed on time) then there really should not be a reason to replace it. But if you feel you should, then do so. As other mentioned, just moce the coolant expansion tank to the side for working room. And the throttle inlet for even more room.

99blueb5
04-19-2011, 09:25 AM
i would suggest to replace it if you have no idea how often the previous owner changed the oil, VERY cheap insurance

hoganalley
04-19-2011, 09:58 AM
I did the K04 swap about 3 years ago and 60,000 miles....I never replaced it and everything is fine. I did, however, replace the oil return line and all other pertinent lines/hoses.

walky_talky20
04-19-2011, 10:15 AM
When I rebuilt my turbo at 150k miles, I checked that line by leaving it disconnected while priming the engine (cranking the starter with no injectors or coil packs plugged in). Oil flowed nice and freely through the line, so I was sure it wasn't clogged or anything.